Cubanboy

My Thanksgiving is ruined so Should i quit.

To be fair GW cleaned up their act.

X-wing has just reached that bloated point that 40K suffered from.

It's time for a 2.0 pack and serious serious fat trimming. Let's go back to basics. Red Dice, Green Dice, maneuvers (new dials for old ships may not be a bad idea) and a few core special cards. Let's replace the old turret mechanic with the one featured on the shadowcaster.

And for gods sake FFG, a campaign system please! You can make something as good as Aturi officially. That would be awesome! (And save us having to print and cut all the cards).

Edited by DariusAPB

Exactly what are you seeing Cubanboy? Good on you for good energy. 

I've entirely given up on "competitive" play.  Basically, I don't want to see Scum or attanni at all.  I've actually said no to games where people wanted to play the new hotnesses and tourney level lists. But things seem fine down in casual.  

I would say also, the number of players in a given store doesn't mean health... we have a lot of new players, but EVERY SINGLE ONE runs scum.  

2 hours ago, Cubanboy said:

To Alex Frank and Davey please please please please dig in and fix what's wrong. 

Its really hard to play against the best stuff.  The game's balance is not okay.  There's lot of fun things in this game.  Let's go back to some of those. 

Even though, I actually know from rfirst hand experience, just cuz you bring 4 Bwings does not mean that its fun anymore.  You've played Bwings since wave3.  Its old.  They need new possibilities. 

I went to my first tournament a few weeks ago and had a blast. The players were all nice and helpful, the lists they brought were diverse, and I made my goal of keeping most games close to time (2) and getting a win. The worst part was the bye, and that's my fault for falling to last when people dropped out. I still have a blast when I play with my friends and brothers too. 

I wish I could have gone to the store tournament the following weekend to play my list again and make a few upgrades to my flying. I think the game is still super fun and there is a huge section of the population playing diverse lists at store SC. 

I agree that there are top lists and wish the offensive rolls were different (hit die and damage die). I always loved in the x-wing books how they could change from 4 shots at once to 1 shot where first one would create higher damage, but second version would produce more chances of hits. I also think the shadow caster turret fix is good. Maybe not an action though. 

Just wanted to let people know that it's still fun casual and I had a blast in my first competitive scene  

I don't understand the doom and gloom. I just played at a tournament at FFG center last night. The top two lists were both crack swarms and yes, FSR was being played by at least one person. I took fifth running the three named striker pilots and a Palo shuttle. Maybe it's time to revisit some old lists.

In my area, I've got the pick of about 10 stores within 30 minutes of my house.  None of them have consistent X-Wing groups.  I'm very involved in our Armada group and most of us bring an X-Wing list, but there's usually enough interest for Armada that I haven't opened my plano case since June.

I'll hold out for a reset or something to get me excited to buy again.  Right now there's just too many great games out there to buy one I'm lukewarm about.

6 minutes ago, BlodVargarna said:

You didn't read his post did you?

Probably not, but he did peddle some smut, so I guess it's all good.;)

@Cubanboy, man, I remember TGs like those.  Thank goodness its was the GF's family so I'm in the clear now.

As for XWM, the game needs a Wave that is 100% Star Wars.  All named characters, squadrons and ships straight out of the movies and cartoons.  Screw changing the meta, and screw new design space.  Just give me a crap ton of Fluff so I can PEW PEW PEW like a 10-year-old.

Keep calm and carry on. This game is still superb if you play with (not against) people who plays a game and feel no need to show they are capable of 100% optimal squad building.

There are many ways to play the game. Machoman, Cinematic, Double or Triple Epic... Think about sports. No need to quit if you are now too old or fat to play Top Level. Find more people like you and play at your own pace.

Never surrender, Cubanboy

PS. I will never never swim as fast as when I was 20. But I continue swimming three times a week

Edited by Hexdot

The scene around me is bigger than ever, with loads of new players joining recently. The meta is as wide as it's ever been (imperials easily holding their own) and there's a HotAC group going on too.

I understand that the game isn't perfect and you can't really do well with all ships. But the competitive scene is wider than it's ever been (more ships) and FFG have demonstrated that they are actively working to fix problems like Dengaroo etc.

Find people with the same aim (around me it's still about having fun, and that's not at odds with being competitive - jank that wins is even better) and you'll have fun, regardless of what that aim is.

7 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

This is all very bizarre to me.  This only thing that frustrates me about the game at the moment is not being able to play as often as I'd like.

Maybe people are just a bit more chilled out about the game in the UK and Europe, who knows.

I feel like it's more of people invest thousands and thousands of dollars into a product that sold off the shelf as being playable they want to be able play with all of it and not be limited to only what's new or what's goodI feel like it's more of one people invest thousands and thousands of dollars into a product that sold off the shelf as being playable they want to be able play with all of it and not be limited to only what's new or what's good

Edited by Cubanboy

16 minutes ago, Cubanboy said:

I feel like it's more of one people invest thousands and thousands of dollars into a product that sold off the shelf as being playable they want to be able play with all of it and not be limited to only what's new or what's good

The devs need to realize this, and book time or releases or whatever to revisit underperformers and rebalance. 

I think people would be more pleased with old favorites being brought back to the tables, than yet another nondescript ship from some dead MMO, some obscure console title, or something that appeared for 20 seconds in a cartoon.

Just compare the community reaction to the announcement of Imperial Veterans with that of Wave XI.

Edited by Azrapse

21 minutes ago, Azrapse said:

The devs need to realize this, and book time or releases or whatever to revisit underperformers and rebalance...

They do, and they do.  That's why we see FAQ updates, rules updates and Aces packs.

We have one such Aces pack incoming - on the boat now, no less - featuring new upgrades, options and pilots for two such underperforming ships.  When that arrives, it'll be the turn of two other ships.  Heroes of the Resistance and Imperial Veterans have also both been released in the last 14 months.

We're literally a week away from GenCon, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we get a few balance changes once the North American Championships are in the books.

56 minutes ago, Darkcloak said:

Cubanboy I liked you better when you weren't a 2.0er.

Happy early Friday though.

I still like you :-p

idk if I want a 2.0 just more balance so that anyship can be played. 

also like to point out that xwing is a much, much more stable game than the other monsters atm. 40k is still a hot mess, though gw is actively working on it atleast this time (biggest glaring "wtf?" ive noticed is cover makes 0 sense now). 

I play many miniature games, and xwing still feels like it has the least problems. If i were to say what my biggest complaint is about xwing it wouldnt even be about the game itself: it would be the lock it has on starwars rather than its own identity which would open the flood gates for ship designs.