Matrim

gencon Storyline choice & story'Smokeless fire' is up

The Scorpion get the tie breaker? Well I guess the deserve something for going last.

I enjoyed the fiction. I'm also happy they decided to start with this Storyline. Kaede, once again,  steps up as the 'acceptable' Isawa lacking their infamous arrogance.

all in all me happy

Regarding the story choice, I do like how the choice is a nuanced "ban outright" or "learn its secrets" rather than a flat "ban" or "allow." However, the fiction makes it pretty clear that meishodo, or at least one of the meishodo talismans, is bad news. Leaving that part a bit more ambiguous could have made for a more interesting choice; if we didn't know if it was even a threat or not, we'd have to wonder if we were just jumping at shadows or not.

2 minutes ago, SHARKOSAURUS said:

It feels weird being on the same side as the Lion. 

But I also hate that my favorite clans are against each other. 

But I really enjoyed the fiction. I'm too conflicted. 

Maybe not so weird though, given that the person spearheading this effort to ban meishodo is engaged to the Lion Champion...

While it doesn't really seem like there's a way Unicorn get to come out of this ahead (either losing their main source of magic or revealing secrets to the rest of the empire) I still greatly look forward to this outcome.

But name magic can't be all bad, after all the Ratings use(d) name magic.

Just now, Wintersong said:

A Jinn instead of Fu Leng may threaten Rokugan then. Which by itself doesn't invalidate meishodo as mechanic for the Unicorn (if that is really ever a possibility).

http://l5r.wikia.com/wiki/Jinn

Good storyline, interesting choices,... No matter what, we are going to have fun. :D

Agreed. I can honestly say, I'm good with either outcome of the storyline event, which I wasn't expecting to be the case. 

As an aside, this story also has me excited for the parade at Gen Con. It makes me wonder how much of this they are planning to "recreate" IRL. Even if most of it doesn't happen, just having this mental image to accompany the event makes me happy. 

7 minutes ago, Zesu Shadaban said:

Maybe not so weird though, given that the person spearheading this effort to ban meishodo is engaged to the Lion Champion...

Nah, that part totally makes sense and I definitely understand why the Lion are against it.

It's more of a personal weird. Like, I feel I need to take another shower type weird.