Hexdot

Minor details you usually forget while playing.

1 hour ago, Magnus Grendel said:

It isn't.

"A ship cannot boost if it would overlap another ship or obstacle token, or if the maneuver template would overlap an obstacle token."

Provided you clear the other ship, you're fine.

Thank you. They had me scrambling to go check this rule.

2 hours ago, Jeff Wilder said:

The guys who announce every. Single. Thing. They. Do. drive me insane, but I bite my tongue, because -- as annoying as it is -- they're never forgetting anything, and I can't fault them for that.

Really?  I do that out of courtesy,  so my opponent knows how I did this or that.  I hate the opposite, where people move, plop down a pile of tokens and down bother to say how they got that pile.  

Just now, gennataos said:

Really?  I do that out of courtesy,  so my opponent knows how I did this or that.  I hate the opposite, where people move, plop down a pile of tokens and down bother to say how they got that pile.  

There is a middle ground.  But, as I said, I prefer the former to the latter, as annoying as it is.

Just now, Jeff Wilder said:

There is a middle ground.  But, as I said, I prefer the former to the latter, as annoying as it is.

Yeah, not like an x/7 defender player needs to tell me every time they get their free evade.  

2 hours ago, sirjorj said:

I only recently realized that each die is only allowed to be rerolled once.  I wonder how many times I’ve broken that rule.

jorj

A lot of people miss this one at first.  I played a new guy and he had something like Han with Predator and Weapons engineer.  I had to explain how it worked. He was so sad.

2 minutes ago, Lightningclaw said:

I have a confession to make.

As sins go, this one is definitely venial.  My annoyance is out of all proportion to the actual offense.  (Which is true about most of the things that annoy me, honestly.  Don't even get me started on how nobody frakkin' knows the difference between "bring" and "take" nowadays.)

1 hour ago, gennataos said:

I call out janky stuff. Like intensity on Sabine + rec spec to get evade double focus. Or my Jan/Jess/GSP/GSP list I call out each die I'm adding so my opponent doesn't go "wait, why do you have 7 dice?"

2 hours ago, Wiredin said:

Boosting over other ships. Template overlapped the corner and got called out on it. Didn't know it was a rule... 

it isnt. you got called out incorrectly. as long as your ships base doesnt bump, the boost is performed like a standard maneuver. some rules lawyers never passed the bar

1 minute ago, Vontoothskie said:

it isnt. you got called out incorrectly. as long as your ships base doesnt bump, the boost is performed like a standard maneuver. some rules lawyers never passed the bar

incorrect. I checked the rule when I got home and sure enough, the template cannot overlap a ship or obstacle. My template would have clipped his ship. If I was a few millimeters further back it would have cleared. 

6 minutes ago, Wiredin said:

incorrect. I checked the rule when I got home and sure enough, the template cannot overlap a ship or obstacle. My template would have clipped his ship. If I was a few millimeters further back it would have cleared. 

You're gonna need to quote that rule, 'cause you're reading it wrong.  A template can't overlap an obstacle.  It can overlap a ship.

15 minutes ago, Jeff Wilder said:

You're gonna need to quote that rule, 'cause you're reading it wrong.  A template can't overlap an obstacle.  It can overlap a ship.

hummm....latest FAQ shows that to be correct.

BOOST Ships with the ? icon in their action bar may perform a boost action. To boost, follow these steps: 1. Choose the [? 1], [? 1], or [? 1] maneuver template. 2. Set the maneuver template between the ship’s front guides. 3. Move the ship to the opposite end of the template and slide the rear guides of the ship into the template. • A ship cannot boost if it would overlap another ship or an obstacle token, or if the maneuver template would overlap an obstacle token. • A ship cannot boost if this would cause the ship to flee the battlefield. • When a player declares a boost action for his ship, he must also declare which direction he is boosting before determining if he can complete the boost in that direction. • If a player declares a boost action for his ship and cannot complete the action using the desired direction, he may choose a different direction or a different action entirely. • Performing a boost does not count as executing a maneuver

@Crit Happens

****, I'm sorry @Wiredin. It's funny because it was only a couple days prior to our game that I was skimming the rules reference and came across that section. When it says:

"A ship cannot boost if it would overlap another 
ship or an obstacle token, or if the maneuver 
template would overlap an obstacle token."

My brain must have inserted "another ship" into that second part of the statement. I'll attribute that to brains liking patterns. 

I'm really sorry!

40 minutes ago, Crit Happens said:

****, I'm sorry @Wiredin. It's funny because it was only a couple days prior to our game that I was skimming the rules reference and came across that section. When it says:

"A ship cannot boost if it would overlap another 
ship or an obstacle token, or if the maneuver 
template would overlap an obstacle token."

My brain must have inserted "another ship" into that second part of the statement. I'll attribute that to brains liking patterns. 

I'm really sorry!

lol, it's no problem. Fly casual. I won't hold it against you! :) I always defer odd things like that to the more experienced players around me. But hey, now we know!

Won't stop me from forgetting to use BB8 tho... 

Simo fire.

The amount of times ive lost a ship before it got to shoot at the same PS and just removed the ship before checking if i had arc has irritated me greatly. SOMETIMES its obvious i had arc, usually when it happens its one of those "We need a laser over here!" things.

Not a minor mistake, but early on, a brother flew a Tie backwards. Came right up in the path of Luke. Ol' Luke was bum rushing out of there to recharge shields, but was now going to bump.

Pretty good considering Ties don't have rear view mirrors.

Edited by Lightningclaw
Clarity

Casual game, I forgot to count all the damage cards on one of my bombers once. Was the next round after it both fired and later took damage that i realized. Still feel embarrassed about it. Tried to undo some of what I did that turn to finish the game more properly, and it was still a really fun time; and my opponent didn't make a deal about it, but he'd have beaten me in just as fun a game without the screw up. Have since explored using health tokens like shield tokens so I never do it again. (Nabbed a bunch of purple imp assault tokens for cheap since I don't have nearly enough store champ coins for the purpose :D)

I miss that game store. Cool peeps. Too far from my new house for regular attendance and I'll be out of town camping during their store championship.