blackhandgang

Help with multiplayer deckbuilding

Hey everyone!

I've managed to convince my Age of Rebellion group to play Arkham Horror on weeks when we are missing people. We did one playthrough of Night of the Zealot with the starter decks, which ended pretty horribly--Scenario 2 was a cluster for us. From that I learned that if we do it again, we need to make decks with all the available cards be cause we were too ham strung at times with just the cards of 2 core sets.

Here is where my problem comes. I have 2 cores and all of the Dunwich sets. That all we have as a base. I'm hoping I can convince some of them to start getting there own sets--one of them has their fist core, but they are scarce around here--but for now it just my pool we can work with. What I was wondering is if you have any tips or strategies other than letting them take all the primary class cards and let them find the cards they want to use first and the rest of us use what's left of that class to fill out when needed? Not really looking for decklists, just ways to manage the small supply of cards effectively.

You can fail a scenario and still keep going. When I played through Scenario 2 with my friend, we only interrogated 2 of the cultists and we still went on to win the 3rd scenario (prevented the ritual from summoning the big bad). Also it's still a lot of fun to play the game on Easy Difficulty because the theme and story is so strong and you still have plenty of "oh ****!" moments.

Hey @blackhandgang, cool post. Here's my tuppence: 

If you make four investigator decks for four of the five Dunwich investigators, who can only take 5 out of faction cards, you're not going to run into as many issues about investigators sharing a faction and wanting the same cards. I've done that pretty effectively, and it feels like people aren't trying to make too many compromises. If other players don't have their cards, I think it's ok for you to do a bit of planning with the deck-building to avoid everyone sitting for ages trying to work out who they want to be and what makes a good deck for that investigator. Don't get me wrong, I love deckbuilding for this game, but it's worth a bit of prep to get the game rolling too! 

The other thing you'll probably feel short on is the neutral skill cards, even with two core sets, but that's not the end of the world, just worth being aware that not everyone can take guts/overpower/md/perception.

To echo, the Dunwich investigators help a lot.  You can do 4 of them or 3 of them and 1 core whose classes are not represented in the other 3.

Example:

Zoe (Dunwich Guardian)

Rex (Dunwich Seeker)

Jenny (Dunwich Rogue)

Agnes (Core Mystic/Survivor)

Create a draft system and when a player chooses an investigator, remove any with related classes from the pool.  The last player gets no choice, but the deck building will be better.  I also find upgrading decks are easier for new players with the Dunwich investigators since they have a smaller pool of cards that they can buy upgrades from.  Also, we rarely pick duplicate primary classes in a team even if we have enough cards.  The players that pick later seem to ask, what classes are we missing?

Lack of neutral skill cards hurt a bit, but you can make good decks with less than a full sleeve of them in every deck.

Also some core investigators seem to go lighter on their secondary classes, while others are heavy.  Daisy and Agnes can do pretty well with minimal cards in their secondary class.  Skids tends to dip heavier into the Guardian pool.

With two cores I felt most of the main investigators from the core didn't splash much from their off faction except for Skids and Wendy.  Both of them tend to borrow heavily from their secondary class, when I build them at least.

Roland doesn't need Seeker cards if you are bringing a Seeker, but at best he snags Magnifying glasses, Shortcut and eventually Pathfinder.  Agnes may try to steal Lucky! from Wendy but that's about it.  Daisy may use Delve too Deep, Drawn into the Flames or a Rosary if Agnes hasn't already claimed them.  Wendy takes a ton of rogue cards from Skids.  Skids takes a ton of guardian cards from Roland.

So if you are using Core only investigators - don't run Skids as he takes too heavily from Guardian, and you want Roland to have his toys.

If you are using whatever investigators you have access to, then yea, the Dunwich investigators are great and just because you can have 5 non-faction cards in the deck doesn't mean you HAVE too.

Also, I'd borrow cards out of that 3rd core you have available to help fill in things. 

I just did this today.   My team was Zoey/Rex/Jim/Wendy.  I wanted to make sure I could pull from all  available classes.    The idea is much like Jobu's, use 3 Dunwich investigators to cover 1 class apiece, and 1 core set investigator to take care of the 2 remaining classes.  

Honestly I just made some decks myself and will hand them to people.  I dont think a lot of people I play with will be too in to  drafting or deckbuilding for a game that they barely understand.   If they enjoy the game enough to want to play another mission, I will allow them to level up their characters on their own to get a taste of deck building.   If they get hooked they are welcome to continue playing with the limited choices I provide, or buy their own set.

Thanks everyone! I didn't even think about restricting to the Dunwich investigators. I haven't had a chance to play with them or the scenarios yet that I forgot about the splash part of their deck building.

I may work on some decks to be safe, but luckily we played through the the core once already they are all really interested in the game including the deckbuilding, but i think it might be good to have back up decks to be safe.

2 hours ago, awp832 said:

Honestly I just made some decks myself and will hand them to people.  I dont think a lot of people I play with will be too in to  drafting or deckbuilding for a game that they barely understand.   If they enjoy the game enough to want to play another mission, I will allow them to level up their characters on their own to get a taste of deck building.   If they get hooked they are welcome to continue playing with the limited choices I provide, or buy their own set.

Agreed, you really can't build unless you have played before and know the card pool.

People should get to choose their character.