Sign in to follow this  
shosuko

YES - Captive Audience

Since we have this card, I'm wondering if the Scorpion will get the political equivalent? It just seems like the game design of the core set went about it with cards like Rout and Outwit. Yes, I know there isn't a literal equivalency between the military and political events/characters.

1 minute ago, Kubernes said:

Since we have this card, I'm wondering if the Scorpion will get the political equivalent? It just seems like the game design of the core set went about it with cards like Rout and Outwit. Yes, I know there isn't a literal equivalency between the military and political events/characters.

How would such a card best be flavored?

Just now, Ide Yoshiya said:

How would such a card best be flavored?

I suppose there are a few ways to go about it such as the usual way the Scorpion can misdirect their opponent. An easy one that focuses on the situation of the Scorpion right now is the idea that they have the ear of the Emperor or that Kachiko is the Imperial Advisor. The name could literally be "Outmaneuvered in Court" as a sort of reference to the old card.

You can even have the art about a scene in which Kamoko and some Lion dude are arguing but Kachiko is able to influence the Emperor into a political decision. Or something similar.

6 hours ago, shosuko said:

The card I've been waiting for...  FINALLY!!!muahahahahahhaaaaa  Honor stronger than Steel?  How about Steel Stronger than Honor

l5c01_captive_audience.png

Unless there is an Event canceling card in Scorpion's Conflict deck, this card (Captive Audience) just elevated the Unicorn into top tier.... (I would argue with Lion and Crane)

Meaning, if there is a 'Let Go' equivalent, Event cancelling Conflict card. 

Edited by LordBlunt

12 minutes ago, LordBlunt said:

Unless there is an Event canceling card in Scorpion's Conflict deck, this card (Captive Audience) just elevated the Unicorn into top tier.... (I would argue with Lion and Crane)

Why Scorpion? Any clan can splash Voice of Honor. ;););)

:P

10 minutes ago, Wintersong said:

Why Scorpion? Any clan can splash Voice of Honor. ;););)

:P

I'd prefer neutral... we'll have to see if I can fit Crane splash into Scorpion AND have more honorable characters (although 1 honorable character might be enough against unicorn) after the Scorpion and full game spoils.

1 hour ago, LordBlunt said:

Doesn't have to be conflict deck. A Ninja that sacrifices himself to cancel an event is also a possibility. (like Bran in Agot)

The more I consider this card, the more I dislike it.

One of the cool things about the game was the limitation of one conflict of each type on offence, forcing people to consider balanced deck building to try to break 2 provinces a turn, or be forced to play the longer game, hitting one a turn. This card chnges that, and I think maybe the game is a little less because of it.

13 minutes ago, JolOfNar said:

One of the cool things about the game was the limitation of one conflict of each type on offence, forcing people to consider balanced deck building to try to break 2 provinces a turn, or be forced to play the longer game, hitting one a turn. This card chnges that, and I think maybe the game is a little less because of it.

Despite our history, when it comes to gameplay, the Unicorn have historically not been much into "the long game."

Just now, Ide Yoshiya said:

Despite our history, when it comes to gameplay, the Unicorn have historically not been much into "the long game."

If only you had a family of courtiers....

or even several affordable balanced cards with equal pol and mil...

2 hours ago, JolOfNar said:

I instinctively agreed when I first read this, but then I thought about it and now I disagree.

Captive Audience changes the basic rhythm of the game, you're absolutely right. There are a small number of cards which do this in every clan; I'd argue that Display of Power and Above Question are both also examples of this. The high influence cost means that we're unlikely to see too many of them in any deck. The ones you do use will define that deck.

As the game matures, provided it's well designed, I can see the deck archetypes evolving to the point where there's an archetype based around each of these decks. For example, I can see "versatile Unicorn" and "smashy unwashed Moto horde" becoming two distinct decks. Captive Audience would be the card that makes the second deck archetype playable. Meanwhile, the versatile Unicorn deck neither needs nor wants it.

So it suddenly occurred to me, Moto Horde isn't as scary as it seemed at first glance and Unicorn may not want to rely too heavily on military only with them. Why? Because they have a dash for political power. That means even if they're using Captive Audience to change the conflict, they can't declare the horde, they'll have to use a movement ability to get them in. Should their opponent be able to change (or change back) the conflict type to political, horde goes home bowed. And if that's not enough, Outwit can be played in any type of conflict, which means any Courtier I have participating, even with a measly 1 Political strength, is enough to send the horde home. And since the conflict was previously political, odds are pretty good that if I had a courtier in play, they'd be participating. 

54 minutes ago, Zesu Shadaban said:

So it suddenly occurred to me, Moto Horde isn't as scary as it seemed at first glance and Unicorn may not want to rely too heavily on military only with them. Why? Because they have a dash for political power. That means even if they're using Captive Audience to change the conflict, they can't declare the horde, they'll have to use a movement ability to get them in. Should their opponent be able to change (or change back) the conflict type to political, horde goes home bowed. And if that's not enough, Outwit can be played in any type of conflict, which means any Courtier I have participating, even with a measly 1 Political strength, is enough to send the horde home. And since the conflict was previously political, odds are pretty good that if I had a courtier in play, they'd be participating. 

Slight problem of course is how little move home effects really effect Unicorn. We have such easy movement available to us.

I'm not sure we've seen a change type outside of the reaction to conflict declaration, so we don't have to worry about it being changed back after we've moved the horde in.

End of day. Unicorn doesn't even care that much about politics. So...

4 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

:ph34r: Not true. I won a game last night and ignored Politics.

ok... let me add some qualifiers.

If you build a Unicorn deck with 3 of them and completely ignore politics, you will likely lose most of the time, unless you are crazy lucky.  Just letting you know.

Edited by Yogo Gohei