Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
shosuko

YES - Captive Audience

Recommended Posts

Good point. Just trying to work out a starting point for mental analysis of cards, like in Conquest where we decided that 2 resources = 1 card, at least till the meta shifted.

Clearly the analysis is always going to be tricky, and no amount of theorycrafting will predict emergence from a complex system. Just looking for a starting point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Prepare for War said:

Good point. Just trying to work out a starting point for mental analysis of cards, like in Conquest where we decided that 2 resources = 1 card, at least till the meta shifted.

Clearly the analysis is always going to be tricky, and no amount of theorycrafting will predict emergence from a complex system. Just looking for a starting point.

that said, 1 = 1 isn't a bad generalization, but times some cards need to look deeper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Prepare for War said:

I mentioned on the other thread, but will repeat here as it's more on topic here.

This is a very good card here, but don't forget the hidden cost.

This game explicitly has an equivalence of 1 card = 1 honour, and the inbuilt honour cost basically makes it 2 honour spent to flip the outcome of a single conflict. That's good, but not exceptional.

Ultimately, turning around the outcome of a conflict is the baseline of what we expect any event to do, it's just a question of how reliably it does this, and the price point.

The game does not have this explicit equivalence. There are times when 1 card = 1 honor. There are times when card draw is completely independent of honor. Drawing this comparison is a false equivalency and repeating it will only instill bad card evaluation practices into the community over time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Zesu Shadaban said:

It helps too that there's at least a couple card draw effects baked into the Unicorn cards. Obviously that's also situational, but it's additional options to potentially draw cards without spending honor to do so. 

I'm going to play with Imperial Storehouses for extra drawing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joe From Cincinnati said:

The game does not have this explicit equivalence. There are times when 1 card = 1 honor. There are times when card draw is completely independent of honor. Drawing this comparison is a false equivalency and repeating it will only instill bad card evaluation practices into the community over time.

Fair point.

Always been impressed with your AGOT thoughts, btw. Happy to see you playing this game.

 

Edit: ****, just had a thought. Random JC, are you JC Wamma?

Edited by Prepare for War

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RandomJC said:

Favored position for extra movement. (All the movement)

We don't even know what it does!

Just now, RandomJC said:

A horse is a horse of course, of course,

unless of course, that horse is Mr. Ed.

STOP IT!  Now I'm going to be humming it all day.  Makes it harder to pretend to be young.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Casanunda said:

We don't even know what it does!

STOP IT!  Now I'm going to be humming it all day.  Makes it harder to pretend to be young.

Thought there was some sort of spoil that at least gave it's details.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Prepare for War said:

Fair point.

Always been impressed with your AGOT thoughts, btw. Happy to see you playing this game.

 

Edit: ****, just had a thought. Random JC, are you JC Wamma?

L5R was where I began my competitive gaming life, so I'm really excited to pick it back up again :D.

I am not sure, but I don't think Wamma is going to be playing this game. At least not yet. But maybe he's watching secretly haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Prepare for War said:

Edit: ****, just had a thought. Random JC, are you JC Wamma?

Is JC Wamma someone who is liked? Then yes.

(Sorry, but no. Long long time ago, I was just Random. Then it morphed to RandomJC. I'm also Random Ide on discord)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

Thought there was some sort of spoil that at least gave it's details.

I thought the only image was the far-off one in the showcase.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/legend-five-rings-showcase/

Quick, get out your Spyglass!  All I can tell is that it has +1 Str and it isn't Imperial Storehouse.

Edited by Casanunda
Can't upload pic, too big

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome looking clan. The one issue that jumps out at me is that because they dishonor themselves, their strategy revolves around breaking provinces and winning military conflicts, and they want to close the game out as fast as possible, wouldn't that put them at an overwhelming disadvantage against the Crab?

 

I haven't had the chance to actually play yet, but what would be the Unicorn gameplan there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Antifinity said:

Awesome looking clan. The one issue that jumps out at me is that because they dishonor themselves, their strategy revolves around breaking provinces and winning military conflicts, and they want to close the game out as fast as possible, wouldn't that put them at an overwhelming disadvantage against the Crab?

 

I haven't had the chance to actually play yet, but what would be the Unicorn gameplan there?

Horribly so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Prepare for War said:

I mentioned on the other thread, but will repeat here as it's more on topic here.

This is a very good card here, but don't forget the hidden cost.

This game explicitly has an equivalence of 1 card = 1 honour, and the inbuilt honour cost basically makes it 2 honour spent to flip the outcome of a single conflict. That's good, but not exceptional.

Ultimately, turning around the outcome of a conflict is the baseline of what we expect any event to do, it's just a question of how reliably it does this, and the price point.

This card is situational - but it has the ability to be worth far more than its cost.  Compare this to the 0 cost 2/- and -/2 equips.  Could 2 of those cards flip any battle?  If you consider 1 honor = 1 card then 1 card + 1 honor = 2 cards.  Could this card reliably be >+4 effect on a battle?  If so, then by your measure it is still strong.

I think the strongest thing isn't its ability to simply give a stat boost.  The biggest thing it does is allow you to double up on MIL conflicts.  We have abilities for both types of conflicts, and the game already spreads resources so thin - if you are a clan like Unicorn, Crab, or Lion who are more specialists in the MIL type this card allows you to re-use certain core elements like Sashimono, Way of the Lion, For Greater Glory, ect.  It would also bow and send home any characters with a - in POL.

So depending on your stats and your opponents stats the card can be from okay to GREAT!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...