Sign in to follow this  
franzvong

Wandering Warriors - Unicorn spoilers

5 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

:ph34r: Yes...

So another question. Can we move bowed into a conflict?

Far as I can tell, yes. At least, I don't see anything in the Learn to Play or Rules Reference that says no. The only thing I can find that states a character must be ready/unbowed is when you are declaring your attackers or defenders committed to a conflict.

2 minutes ago, Zesu Shadaban said:

Far as I can tell, yes. At least, I don't see anything in the Learn to Play or Rules Reference that says no. The only thing I can find that states a character must be ready/unbowed is when you are declaring your attackers or defenders committed to a conflict.

I am Unicorn. I move all these bowed people into a conflict.

6 minutes ago, shineyorkboy said:

I notice Unicorn has a lot of movement with relatively little unbow. So I guess the idea is to attack with one guy, see how your opponent assigns defenders, and then move more people in when they under commit.

Just like the old days.

Edited by Yogo Gohei

43 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

Sad, but Born in War will never really have +5 Military.

There are five rings in the game, right? You only typically claim a ring when you win a conflict, right? If it's the first conflict in a round and no other effect has claimed a ring (choosing a ring for a conflict only means it is contested until the end of the conflict), then I guess it could go to 5?

2 minutes ago, Kubernes said:

There are five rings in the game, right? You only typically claim a ring when you win a conflict, right? If it's the first conflict in a round and no other effect has claimed a ring (choosing a ring for a conflict only means it is contested until the end of the conflict), then I guess it could go to 5?

That ring would be considered contested, not unclaimed. so the card would only be a +4

51 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

Sad, but Born in War will never really have +5 Military.

It will allways have +4 in the first conflict... and guess who has an Event that let you declare the first conflict...

Edited by Bayushi Nono

1 minute ago, RandomJC said:

Technically, the character will have a +5 before that first conflict though.

You are right. The games name is Legend of the five Rings for a reason... stupid me.

Edited by Bayushi Nono

5 minutes ago, Bayushi Nono said:

What I wanted to say is: Born in War will very often be a +5! :D

Only if it's played in the action window at the very beginning of the Conflict Phase...and only until the first conflict is declared. It's basically a moot point that it ever is "technically" a +5 for that incredibly brief window. 

EDIT: Sorry, it could also be played for +5 during the Draw Phase action window. So it could be a +5 for a minute or two longer. :P

Edited by Zesu Shadaban

3 minutes ago, Zesu Shadaban said:

Only if it's played in the action window at the very beginning of the Conflict Phase...and only until the first conflict is declared. It's basically a moot point that it ever is "technically" a +5 for that incredibly brief window. 

EDIT: Sorry, it could also be played for +5 during the Draw Phase action window. So it could be a +5 for a minute or two longer. :P

I have an action that says I have more mil power than you at start of game, all your guys die. :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Prepare for War said:

Eh, Rokugan is no more medieval Japan than Dungeons and Dragons is medieval Europe. There should be no expectation of anything other than the occasional borrowed trapping.

True, but Rokugan at least SOUNDS Japanese/Asian, where as the Unicorn is associated with European mythology.  My joke was pointing out how this clan name sticks out like a sore thumb. As a professor of mythology, I would have suggested that they change the name to Kirin (a dragon like horse) that shares many of the same qualities as the European Unicorn in myth.

A Kirin:

220px-qingqilin.jpg

The other clan names can easily be defended as fitting inside of the theme of this game:
Crab - this creature plays an important part in the mythical powers of samurai
Crane - an animal found any many Asian myths 
Dragon - Don't think I have to defend this one :D

Lion - The better name would have been "Shisa" but still fits
Phoenix - an actual symbol of an imperial household
Scorpion - a Japanese consolation with a myth attached to it

As you can see, the other 6 clans can easily fit inside the theme.  Also, again...  My original post was a joke. ;)

Edited by Stone37

3 minutes ago, Stone37 said:

True, but Rokugan at least SOUNDS Japanese/Asian, where as the Unicorn is associated with European mythology.  My joke was pointing out how this clan name sticks out like a sore thumb. As a professor of mythology, I would have suggested that they change the name to Kirin (a dragon like horse) that shares many of the same qualities as the European Unicorn in myth.

A Kirin:

220px-qingqilin.jpg

Ki-Rin was their name. It changed as they travelled the outside of Unicorn. It's meant to evoke otherness.

Edited by RandomJC

2 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

Ki-Rin was their name. It changed as they travelled the outside of Unicorn. It's meant to evoke otherness.

I'm sure the Lion would be quite happy for the Unicorn to go back to using their traditional name. While we're at it, can y'all just..."forget" those kami names, too? Thanks...

Just now, RandomJC said:

And, once Shinjo was lost and one of her sons in command, to reflect that they had become something else since they departed from Rokugan.

At least in old lore. Maybe now they are the Unicorn because they are all Qolat pretending to be just descendants of the Ki-Rin while trying to overthrow the Celestial Order with those curved blades of theirs. And meishodo.

Just now, Zesu Shadaban said:

I'm sure the Lion would be quite happy for the Unicorn to go back to using their traditional name. While we're at it, can y'all just..."forget" those kami names, too? Thanks...

could point out that at least the Unicorn have a thematic reason for their clan animal to be distinctly non-east Asian. :ph34r: how does one explain the Lion.

4 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

could point out that at least the Unicorn have a thematic reason for their clan animal to be distinctly non-east Asian. :ph34r: how does one explain the Lion.

There may not have been Lions in Japan but they knew what lions were from the Chinese. 

Addendum: And they carried the same symbolism as they do in other cultures ?

Edited by Kuni Katsuyoshi

5 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

I've recently expanded on my post that is now the center of the "Unicorn" debate.

You're right "Shisa" would have been a better name, but I think most Westerners (not familiar with Japanese mythology) just call this a Japanese lion. 

Edited by Stone37

5 minutes ago, Stone37 said:

I've recently expanded on my post that is now the center of the "Unicorn" debate.

You're right "Shisa" would have been a better name, but I think most Westerners (not familiar with Japanese mythology) just call this a Japanese lion. 

Since Rokugan has Lions. Having  a different name for 'lion ' would be a little counterproductive. 

Edited by Kuni Katsuyoshi