Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
franzvong

Wandering Warriors - Unicorn spoilers

Recommended Posts

Captive Audience is the answer to Kuroi Mori if your local meta sees it played a lot.

I've always liked movement trick-heavy decks. Might try and see what some Unicorn splash does for a Phoenix Deck (Breakthrough gives you more ability to control which rings your opponent has access to, which might combo well?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm.  Would Altansarnai's ability work with Endless Plains?  It only specifies that you have to break a province and that it's during a military conflict, but I don't think the timing structure works out since you would have to trigger it in step 3.2 of the conflict resolution and you don't declare defenders (which is when she would actually be participating in the conflict) until 3.2.1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BordOne said:

Meishodo guy fluff text seems to be kinda off? Or they also speak with the kami?

I think it's a "true name" sort of thing; knowing the true name lets you control a creature. 

If my understanding is correct, Rokugani shugenja do not normally control kami, they more or less ask them for favors. Shugenja are good at talking kami into doing stuff for them, but the kami aren't mystically compelled to follow the shugenja's orders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So they have a subtheme of character removal.  I'm not sure how strong it will be since the champ and their province both let the opponent choose the target, and they both require a break.... will Unicorn be interested in Fallen In Battle?  I don't think I've ever seen someone use that card yet in a proxy game.

The movement stuff all looks brutal.  Also if Lion picks a Keeper role then I could totally see splashing 3x Captive Audience and 3x Breakthrough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, phillos said:

So they have a subtheme of character removal.  I'm not sure how strong it will be since the champ and their province both let the opponent choose the target, and they both require a break.... will Unicorn be interested in Fallen In Battle?  I don't think I've ever seen someone use that card yet in a proxy game.

The movement stuff all looks brutal.  Also if Lion picks a Keeper role then I could totally see splashing 3x Captive Audience and 3x Breakthrough.

I think the Unicorn are bent on a double MIL prov break as the first 2 conflicts of the turn.  Its their dream play.  After defending against 2 province breaks you aren't likely to have enough to keep going... especially if you had to also lose 1-2 characters...  Even losing just 1 is big if you have to defend twice against this.

I really love how Cavalry Reserve works.  This, Charge AND extremely efficient cards like Meishodo Wielder, Moto Horde, and Moto Youth...  The Unicorn should not have much difficulty fielding 2 attacking conflicts a turn.  Unlike the Lion they aren't likely to care if they lose some honor in the process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just about to make fun of the idea of a "Unicorn" clan in an Edo period inspired card game, but then I read the article.

I think I get their strategy.... while their opponent underestimates them because of the out of place European fantasy name, they swiftly ride in, salt and burn everything, and then get the last laugh.  I look forward to trying these cards (and this clan) out soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Stone37 said:

I was just about to make fun of the idea of a "Unicorn" clan in an Edo period inspired card game, but then I read the article.

I think I get their strategy.... while their opponent underestimates them because of the out of place European fantasy name, they swiftly ride in, salt and burn everything, and then get the last laugh.  I look forward to trying these cards (and this clan) out soon!

I am forced to note that Rokugan is extremely UN-Edo period.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, phillos said:

I think it's worth mentioning just how unsplashable most of their conflict cards are even though they have reasonable influence costs.  It's all mostly centered on the Cavalry keyword or being a Unicorn.  I guess that's fitting for the outsider clan in xenophobic Rokugan.

I know Dragon will welcome some favored mounts from their allies any time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, phillos said:

I think it's worth mentioning just how unsplashable most of their conflict cards are even though they have reasonable influence costs.  It's all mostly centered on the Cavalry keyword or being a Unicorn.  I guess that's fitting for the outsider clan in xenophobic Rokugan.

Can I briefly derail to mention that this always annoyed me?

Every clan worth their ceremonially-purified salt should have cavalry cards. It's not as if it's a secret technique like meishodo or ishikendo. They might not have enough to build a deck, but they should be there. If they were there, then splashing Unicorn to help them would be enormously flavourful. Sadly they aren't there, so as you point out, the splash can't be made as easily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well then...so basically if you've played your cards right, you can declare the first military conflict for the round, pay a measly 3 Fate, and pull a Moto Horde and 2 Moto Youths out of your Dynasty discard, and bam. Instant +12 Mil to whatever you declared the conflict with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, phillos said:

I think it's worth mentioning just how unsplashable most of their conflict cards are even though they have reasonable influence costs.  It's all mostly centered on the Cavalry keyword or being a Unicorn.  I guess that's fitting for the outsider clan in xenophobic Rokugan.

Other clans getting cavalry won't be a surprise. They won't be part of a fancy Unicorn deck and all the tricks it entails, but cavalry will be out there. With ponies. Because Unicorn is the only clan with tall horses. :-P

Favored Mount seems a solid splash. I see no issues with Spyglass or Ide Messenger. Breakthrough can be tricky but no cavalry needed. And Captive Audience... yeah. I Am Ready will need more time to be worth out of Unicorn because only Ide Messenger right now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...