Sign in to follow this  
Velvetelvis

The last wave....and now the tide receeds.

Look at this forum.

Look at it.

This last wave ....

The future looks.... interesting.

Maybe ffg can react soon enough and get everyone's enthusiasm off of life support.maybe not.

I'm not even mad.just pondering now.

The community based rules revision is has some traction. I'm quite interested in that and hope it goes over well. And soon.

Maybe we shall save ourselves.

Always emotion is the future.

I wouldn't worry.

A) The forum is not the game.  Whenever I go to an actual event I am reminded of the actual list diversity out there and of the awesome community who play this game who are by and large enthusiastic and positive.  The forum here has taken a nose dive in quality posts ever since the collusion/voluntary draw fiasco (around wave 7-8 I think).  I think it was a combination of lots of new players from other war games and also some real issues FFG had with particular tournament rules.  Whatever it was you could definitely tell that there was an overall shift towards negativity.  I think even a few of the podcasts talked about it being a real tipping point change in the tone of the forum community.

B) If the game starts to seriously decline in sales and number of players  it's not necessarily a terrible thing.  Because it means we will either transition to a purely player driven rules community (already popping up in Major Juggler's project) and/or it will spur FFG to actually release a 2nd edition of the game that incorporates all of the ships (both obscure and iconic) into a single design paradigm.  Many of the problems with the game now stem from the fact that the early waves were designed by a different team without the prior knowledge of how big and complicated the game would eventually get.  This means that a lot of our favorite ships from the original movies got left in the dust compared to newer more obscure ones with more exotic abilities and dials.

There is still a FAQ out there to be had. Whether or not that leak was true or not, one's coming. We also have Guns For Hire on the boat, new announcements likely on the horizon, and still friendly faces at the local game store. The forums are always talking doom and gloom. Take what's said here with a grain of salt. Living games always have their ups and downs. All part of the experience.

Just remember: 

rebellions-are-built-on-hope-t-shirt-sta

2 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

Well I don't know about you guys, but I'm looking forward to busting my ships out this weekend and playing a few games.

I'm going to be travelling up the coast for a couple of hours for the privilege.

Thursday night will be the first time in 3 weeks since I visited the flgs. Can't wait to push plastic!

I wanted to try and get nymranda on the table to see what the fuss is about  there. Apparently on the way home the last time i played one of the discs in my lower back gave out......... i'm not straight headed enough from the pain meds nor can i handle bending over the tables for a while yet :(

Edited by Ralgon

Internet, man. It's for complaining

The game has been in FAR worse states before, especially wave 5 aka whisper + Cheri v fat han. 

Course the game has problems and it could really use an overhaul that incorporates the dice + token + objective system from Armada that replaces "my ship is more efficient than your ship" with performances based on how well you fly as opposed to how well you roll 

But things have been far, far worse 

Edited by ficklegreendice

Only had one game with a tryhard Scum Nym, my TiE strikers could deal with it well enough...

As far as I can see, some of the new stuff is actually rather susceptible to some really old list ideas. A well played swarm eats a predictably flown Nym just as quick as a Lambda, after all. 

Especially concerning levels of play up to store championships, diversity and balance is usually fine, even encouraging experimentation. Wave 11s biggest crime to my mind was leaning harder towards card combos than board control, and we had that before.

2 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

Internet, man. It's for complaining

The game has been in FAR worse states before, especially wave 5 aka whisper + Cheri v fat han. 

Course the game has problems and it could really use an overhaul that incorporates the dice + token + objective system from Armada that replaces "my ship is more efficient than your ship" with performances based on how well you fly as opposed to how well you roll 

But things have been far, far worse 

This. I have to roll my eyes at all the complaint threads recently. Everyone who has been in the game for a few years can remember a time when people complained about Bombs, Ordnance, Arc-Dodgers, unique pilots, lots of upgrade cards on single ships, and so on- not because these things were tearing up the Meta, but rather because these things were garbage and a waste of points. But then, FFG (shockingly!) listened to their customer base and released fixes and everything that used to be crap is good now and what do people do? Whine about it. :rolleyes:

The wheel of time turns and things will circle around again and you'll see ships and archetypes that are struggling now rise to the top again. I guarantee FFG is working on things right now- it just takes time for new products and fixes to work their way through the development process. 

Calling it now: (non-Biggs) X-Wings on the top table of Worlds 2019. 

Edited by Herowannabe

5 hours ago, Deadfool said:

Last store champs I went to, I didn't play a single duplicate list. People get too sucked into the internet moaning and forget the real world is a lot wider.

I think this is true, but here's the problem with it:  list variety, without list balance is actually favorable to the current if-not-broken-d@mn-near builds.  They skate through the field and win, barring outliers.  (Which of course happen, but they're called outliers for a reason.)  And pointing out that the Top 8 is diverse in a 35-player tournament is great, but if only two people brought Dengar/Nym, and those two people finish 1st-2nd, then the "diversity" of the Top 8 isn't just an illusion, it's a harmful illusion that masks the real state of the game.

Even if they don't finish that well, it can be masking.  For example:

At the last Store Championship I attended, three of us independently brought a derivative of Fair Ship Rebels.  None of us lost other than to each other, except me.  (I lost by 3 points to Dengar-Fenn-Inaldra ... and that was with two-SDs-below-mean red dice.)  We finished 1st, 3rd, and 5th.  The field was pretty diverse (quad Scyks!), but the field actually playing for the win was not diverse at all.

22 minutes ago, Jeff Wilder said:

I think this is true, but here's the problem with it:  list variety, without list balance is actually favorable to the current if-not-broken-d@mn-near builds.  They skate through the field and win, barring outliers.  (Which of course happen, but they're called outliers for a reason.)  And pointing out that the Top 8 is diverse in a 35-player tournament is great, but if only two people brought Dengar/Nym, and those two people finish 1st-2nd, then the "diversity" of the Top 8 isn't just an illusion, it's a harmful illusion that masks the real state of the game.

Even if they don't finish that well, it can be masking.  For example:

At the last Store Championship I attended, three of us independently brought a derivative of Fair Ship Rebels.  None of us lost other than to each other, except me.  (I lost by 3 points to Dengar-Fenn-Inaldra ... and that was with two-SDs-below-mean red dice.)  We finished 1st, 3rd, and 5th.  The field was pretty diverse (quad Scyks!), but the field actually playing for the win was not diverse at all.

Yeah, I agree at the Store Champs a few weeks before that I played three different Jump master lists. I think part of the issue is that a lot of new ships are not as good as the meta popular ships like the jump master so they are not breaking in and breaking up the scene enough, but for me Captain Nym is a good addition as it seems to be getting a lot of action while helps dilute the concentration of other lists. Basically FFG need to make every ship awesome! :D

FFG really needs to step up and help us have some hope.  Dropping whatever FAQ we're getting would help, even an article saying "change is coming", or "we are aware of x/y/z issues", or "expect an announcement on -----day". 

I know they've always been a bit silent and hands off but they are really letting the community spin.  They can step in and stop it if not slow it at least. 

1 hour ago, Rakky Wistol said:

FFG really needs to step up and help us have some hope.  Dropping whatever FAQ we're getting would help, even an article saying "change is coming", or "we are aware of x/y/z issues", or "expect an announcement on -----day". 

I know they've always been a bit silent and hands off but they are really letting the community spin.  They can step in and stop it if not slow it at least. 

THIS. FFGs absolute silence really irks me. They at least need to let us know that they understand why people think Wave 11 is a steaming pile of garbage- and that they're working on bringing balance back to the game.

2 minutes ago, Sithborg said:

And engaging in the community isn't always the best option. There are multiple good reasons why they are not allowed to interact on the forums. I mean, its not like the complainers are going to get more respectful. 

They could easily set up their own forums and actually moderate.