Sign in to follow this  
Boppa

Card prices

What's going on with the card prices? I keep buying boosters and end up getting cards that are worth well more than what the boosters cost. Just today I bought a Spirit of Rebellion booster box and got Force Speed, Force Lightning, Palpatine, Vibroknife, Z6 riot control, U-Wing and some others, the value of which is worth way more than what I paid for the box (75e). I have had the same experience with all my boosters. Is it just an issue of supply being low in general?

Singles prices are ridiculously overpriced, but people seem to buy them though. Strange. SoR prices have slowly settled down a lot since they were released. Although Awakenings dropped and bounced back a little with the SoR release.

I wonder if The Chance Cube could show a trend of some sort since the beginning of their price watch?

Unlike MTG, there just aren't that many people who are in a situation to buy mass boxes at wholesale and open boxes to sell singles. So yeah, it is a supply issue to a point even though you can walk into a store and buy boosters at retail price.  Even given a bit more supply, I am not sure if FFG will let tons of retailers buy mass number of boxes for single sales. They seem to be happy with everyone buying boosters and trading.

5 hours ago, JuzFuzz said:

Singles prices are ridiculously overpriced, but people seem to buy them though. Strange. SoR prices have slowly settled down a lot since they were released. Although Awakenings dropped and bounced back a little with the SoR release.

I wonder if The Chance Cube could show a trend of some sort since the beginning of their price watch?

We have an archive link for the top 10 lists. While it isn't what you suggested, it is something at this time.

Edited by JediGeekGirl

11 hours ago, Boppa said:

What's going on with the card prices? I keep buying boosters and end up getting cards that are worth well more than what the boosters cost. Just today I bought a Spirit of Rebellion booster box and got Force Speed, Force Lightning, Palpatine, Vibroknife, Z6 riot control, U-Wing and some others, the value of which is worth way more than what I paid for the box (75e). I have had the same experience with all my boosters. Is it just an issue of supply being low in general?

Well lucky box, very lucky :)

The problem with singles is always the same:

Shall i spend 30$ to buy boosters where i may or may not hit what i need, maybe ill end up with some stuff i already have and will have to sell it to regain the money?
Or shall i just spend this 30$ to buy a top card or two that i need?

Its just matter of convenience. I myself preffer to just buy singles i need than to hope that i hit what i need in boosters. I buy them usually, one or two per week, just as entertainment, if i hit something i need or valuable for trade? Cool. If not...well thats why i dont buy big booster boxes:)

It depends how much stuff you still want/ need to complete your set or decks. I've bought probably ```````````````close to 5 boxes worth of SoR and I've got loads of extra cards. I've pulled 6 Darth Vader, Dark Apprentice for example. Yet I still need about a dozen rares/ legendaries as well as my second copy of 3 uncommons; Armour Plating, Traitor! and Trust Your Instincts. Now, do I open more packs and hope for the best or do I just go and buy those cards I need as singles?

For instance, today I bought 10 packs and got 3 uncommons, a rare and a legendary I needed and 7 rares and a legendary I already had. Now, the legendary I needed was Rocket Launcher and one of the spare rares was Vibro Knife. So, while I got far more cards I didn't need than ones I did, buying the Rocket Launcher on its own would have cost nearly as much as all the packs I bought anyway. On the other hand, all my rares and legendaries could have been ones that I had and weren't worth much. I've definitely bought 5 packs before where the priciest card in them was like Personal Shield or something...

My system is to buy 3 booster boxes at the outset of a release. I also try to play in 1-2 pre-releases to hopefully get a lucky legendary.

On average this gives me all the commons, uncommons and 95% of all rares and 18-19 legendaries.

I then have roughly 25 rares that can be traded/sold.

I trade for the few missing rares then offer low cash prices for the rest.

I use the cash to buy the cheap legendaries and buy boosters with the rest.

At this point I have a full playset of all but legendaries. I keep selling rares and opening boosters...reselling rares until I get a legendaries.

In the end I might have to buy 2-3 expensive legendaries to close out the set. 

I was a bit slow off the mark in awakenings which made it harder...but SoR I closed out the set in 3 days.

I've bought one booster box and 30 out of a second (was a buy 2 get 1 free deal, if you can believe it) and I'm 15 Legendaries from full set of both Awakenings & Spirit of Rebellion.  I've traded games &  sold games to finance Destiny, bought singles and booster packs.  It can be done without a huge booster box investment, but it is time consuming (which is part of the fun for me, the collecting & tracking).