Jump to content
Parakitor

FAQ and Tournament rules

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, Waywardpaladin said:

This focus on "damage" though doesn't answer what happens when you Execute the middle golem, or when his upgrade card gets discarded?

Looks that way. An upgrade card is an upgrade card, whether it is represented by a figure or not. If that card gets discarded, the opponent doesn't get any points from that until the whole unit is down.

Or are you talking about something completely different and I just misunderstood?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Parakitor said:

Looks that way. An upgrade card is an upgrade card, whether it is represented by a figure or not. If that card gets discarded, the opponent doesn't get any points from that until the whole unit is down.

Or are you talking about something completely different and I just misunderstood?

Yeah, I'm talking about the unit getting split when I Mistlands or Execute the Golem. It isn't assigning damage, but he will be removed all the same.

Edited by Waywardpaladin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Waywardpaladin said:

Yeah, I'm talking about the unit getting split when I Mistlands or Execute the Golem. It isn't assigning damage, but he will be removed all the same.

Mistlands won't apply as it doesn't apply to figure upgrades ("Discard 1 non-figure upgrade card").

Execute will, but by my reading of the FAQ I don't think it will proc with a large figure upgrade (Golem and Lancer) as you cannot remove the unit if it would cause a split.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, maxam said:

Mistlands won't apply as it doesn't apply to figure upgrades ("Discard 1 non-figure upgrade card").

Execute will, but by my reading of the FAQ I don't think it will proc with a large figure upgrade (Golem and Lancer) as you cannot remove the unit if it would cause a split.

It seemed an easier fix to just use the already existing "At one rank the front rank counts as the back rank" and use a side tray to fill in the middle should the siege figure be eliminated. The magical invincibility a siege unit enjoys in the middle is pretty silly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Waywardpaladin said:

It seemed an easier fix to just use the already existing "At one rank the front rank counts as the back rank" and use a side tray to fill in the middle should the siege figure be eliminated. The magical invincibility a siege unit enjoys in the middle is pretty silly.

I agree, the whole rule around not targeting something that would split the unit is just bad and confusing. Why can't we just say that when removing a tray would split a unit, the opponent chooses a tray to replace it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Vineheart01 said:

really dont think taking another army's units is worth it since theyre denied BOTH faction's upgrades.

Especially since majority of them seem to have a faction specific card that makes them actually deadly.

I know it's gimmicky, but making 4x1 Deepwood Archers has a benefit I think

List Name: Four By Ones!

Faction: Daqan
Points: 199/200

Kari Wraithstalker
# of Trays: 1 ( 32 points)
- Fortuna"s Dice ( 6 points)
= 38 total unit cost 

Lord Hawthorne
# of Trays: 1 ( 34 points)
- Shield of Margath ( 6 points)
- Might of Daqan ( 4 points)
= 44 total unit cost 

Deepwood Archers
# of Trays: 4 ( 30 points)

- Tempered Steel ( 3 points)
= 33 total unit cost 

Oathsworn Cavalry
# of Trays: 4 ( 34 points)
- Master-Crafted Weapons ( 4 points)
- Rank Discipline ( 4 points)
= 42 total unit cost 

Oathsworn Cavalry
# of Trays: 4 ( 34 points)
- Master-Crafted Weapons ( 4 points)
- Rank Discipline ( 4 points)
= 42 total unit cost 

Edited by Glucose98

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hm, I was prepared to say that 3x1 crossbows will have better damage output for cheaper, but they're REALLY similar. Even Protected vs 4 extra wounds could go either way for value. I guess it comes down to dials and frontage - 4x1 is better able to see around things, but harder to maneuver. The Latari have better maneuverability, but lack that range 1-3 mortal strike trigger. It's a toss-up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Glucose98 said:

I know it's gimmicky, but making 4x1 Deepwood Archers has a benefit I think

List Name: Four By Ones!

 

Deepwood Archers
# of Trays: 4 ( 30 points)
- Master-Crafted Weapons ( 4 points)
= 34 total unit cost 
 


Note that Master-crafted is Mellee only, you really want tempered steel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2017 at 0:43 AM, Parakitor said:

Yeah. Definitely weird. I've been giving it some thought, and I'm pretty sure the reason for the limit on capacity isn't about, well, capacity at all. It's about size. I haven't tested it out, but I'm guessing that there is a way to set the first two capacity 6 Forest/Stone Terrace tiles so that the 3rd one never fits. This fundamentally changes the game because every deployment card specifies 3 terrain tokens. However, it doesn't explain why they didn't just leave it at "3 unique terrain cards". (If I'm wrong, and there is no way to set two Stone Terrace/Forest such that a 3rd cannot be legally placed, please tell me. I think it may be possible for some deployments, and impossible for others).

Can you imagine trying to maneuver a 12-tray Reanimates block around two 6-capacity terrain pieces? It's not about whether the terrain can be legally fit onto the field, it's about not making bringing a large unit a gamble as to whether you can even move them around. I could definitely see strategies built up around bringing all 6-capacity terrain and points-bidding such that you get first pick (so two of the pieces will be yours), and then pairing that with an MSU list yourself. Voila! Now you can maneuver, and don't have to worry about large deathstar units because they won't have the room to maneuver, themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about not being the limit only 6 and increase it to 8 or 10? it will allow you at least to use the 4 cards coming with the core (6+2+0+0). You will not need to deal with 2 terrain templates of 6 capacity size. And of course you have the capacity of placing the last element further to your routes.

Also there is no needed to field a death star. There are more options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Hijodecain said:

What about not being the limit only 6 and increase it to 8 or 10? it will allow you at least to use the 4 cards coming with the core (6+2+0+0). You will not need to deal with 2 terrain templates of 6 capacity size. And of course you have the capacity of placing the last element further to your routes.

Also there is no needed to field a death star. There are more options.

There are more options, but that doesn't mean you should make one option unviable before the game even starts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TallTonyB said:

There are more options, but that doesn't mean you should make one option unviable before the game even starts.

Adding to this:

You want both MSUs and Deathstars to be viable.  This is especially true with FFG's audience.  Many of us have played Armada which until recently suffered tremendously (still suffers a little I think) from a meta where MSU generally won against having a few, large, highly upgraded ships.  There are a lot of reasons why that happens in Armada, but FFG players don't want a repeat of that kind of restrictive meta here in Runewars.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The odd thing.  if you take a 6 capacity terrain, you can't actually make a deck of 4 currently, unless you own 2 cores.  The hero terrain is a 2 capacity...  How is this supposed to work (I do own 2 cores, but I mean a forest and 3 spikes?, a bit lame).  Effectively if you want to use the Forest, you need 2 cores, currently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok.  So according to the tournament rules in order to have a legal tournament list you are required to have 4 terrain pieces that do not total more then 6 on any two cards.  This isn't a problem for me, but I noticed that without purchasing either a second core, or Lord Hawthorne, it is impossible to make a tournament legal list with what is provided in the core alone.   I assume most players playing in the tournament at Gencon will have enough terrain, but I am just wondering how the event will call this should a player show up with only the core plus unit expansions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Terraforcer said:

Ok.  So according to the tournament rules in order to have a legal tournament list you are required to have 4 terrain pieces that do not total more then 6 on any two cards.  This isn't a problem for me, but I noticed that without purchasing either a second core, or Lord Hawthorne, it is impossible to make a tournament legal list with what is provided in the core alone.   I assume most players playing in the tournament at Gencon will have enough terrain, but I am just wondering how the event will call this should a player show up with only the core plus unit expansions.

There are also rules set up on how to use custom terrain. I would assume that until more official terrain is out, a lot of stores would use the stockpiles of terrain they have for Warhammer and such.

Edited by TallTonyB
My grammar sucks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Terraforcer said:

Ok.  So according to the tournament rules in order to have a legal tournament list you are required to have 4 terrain pieces that do not total more then 6 on any two cards.  This isn't a problem for me, but I noticed that without purchasing either a second core, or Lord Hawthorne, it is impossible to make a tournament legal list with what is provided in the core alone.   I assume most players playing in the tournament at Gencon will have enough terrain, but I am just wondering how the event will call this should a player show up with only the core plus unit expansions.

Well the essentials pack is out soon, that's a lot cheaper than a core at least :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well if you only have one core not only can you not make a legal terrain deck, but you won't have a large enough army either.  I think it's generally accepted if your going to play in a tournament your going to need more than one core.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ywingscum said:

Well if you only have one core not only can you not make a legal terrain deck, but you won't have a large enough army either.  I think it's generally accepted if your going to play in a tournament your going to need more than one core.

It is totally reasonable for someone to buy 1 core set and then expansions to reach 200 points...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Ywingscum said:

Well if you only have one core not only can you not make a legal terrain deck, but you won't have a large enough army either.  I think it's generally accepted if your going to play in a tournament your going to need more than one core.

For my dream army, I would only need 8 Berserkers Unit Expansions, 8 Spined Threshers Unit Expansions, and 1 Essentials Pack. Because I need the Berserkers for the upgrades as well as the figures, it does me no good to buy the Uthuk Y'llan Army Expansion, so I would only have 3 terrain.

If 4 terrain are required, they really should have included 4 in the core.

EDIT: For clarity, I mean they should have included 4 in the core that match their tournament stipulations.

Edited by Budgernaut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...