TallGiraffe

Indomitable Strength

2 hours ago, Polda said:

Can't they? ;-)

No, because Kari allows one unit of non-unique Latari infantry in her list. That's the helmet icon on the unit card. Leonx riders are cavalry, indicated by the horse head on theirs.

Kari can import Deepwood Archers or Darnati Warriors, neither of which have deployment formations that are deeper than they are wide.

Just now, kaffis said:

No, because Kari allows one unit of non-unique Latari infantry in her list. That's the helmet icon on the unit card. Leonx riders are cavalry, indicated by the horse head on theirs.

Kari can import Deepwood Archers or Darnati Warriors, neither of which have deployment formations that are deeper than they are wide.

Ha, I see that now. That is disappointing. With the addition of the imported infantry not being able to take Daqan faction cards, that ability seems very dull now. Same with Maro.

10 hours ago, Darthain said:

I think it was more a column tactics isn't that useful for daqan, because Hawthorne?

I dunno -- a 1x4 cavalry with column tactics would be somewhat useful -- they'd be easier to navigate around terrain without having the wide base.

44 minutes ago, Glucose98 said:

I dunno -- a 1x4 cavalry with column tactics would be somewhat useful -- they'd be easier to navigate around terrain without having the wide base.

And they can concentrate force much more easily than 4x1. Two 1x4's can quite plausibly charge the same target.

Rank Discipline is a STEEP opportunity cost though.

I'm thinking Visored Helms on Cavalry for when they're moving up. White Shield for 3 Defence and then the Helm for 4 gives a good chance of keeping more alive for the all important charge.

visored helm is definitely overcosted. 7pts for a single-turn defense boost with a limited window? Geez.

On one hand im a little salty that all the insanely cool faction specific upgrades for other races are pretty mean, but on the other hand i remember daqan stuff is pretty mean by default lol

Worth considering is that both Spearmen and Oathsworn have a late-turn, more powerful attack. So far, in a straight fight, they can just about assure attacking after their opponent. This upgrade is clearly about weathering an attack and then hitting back hard. So, does it work? It needs to save at least 5 Spearmen or 2 Oathsworn to pay for itself, which probably means two uses, maybe one if it's a big hit.

So who wants it? Well a unit that wants to activate late, mostly. For Spearmen it competes with Shield Wall, but that's pretty risky on anything smaller than the full 9-tray option. I've been playing with a 6-tray Eagle Banner unit to hunt worms, and this would fit them pretty well. I was using the Lance Corporal mostly to get the defense modifier, so I can probably save those points now.

Cav are a bit trickier because of that white Defense mod. Attacking early and going to Def3 is a pretty great move, especially for smaller units whose threat stands to be reduced for every tray they lose. If we imagine that Visored Helms is equivalent to getting the Defense mod AND adding a hit to their attack (it's not that good, but it's similar sometimes) then you're really paying 7 points for an upgrade that you can exhaust to add a hit. I think I prefer Tempered Steel.

Yes i prefer Tempered Steel for sure.

Why?

Its very common for archers to just shoot into the cavalry, meaning multiple attacks they have to defend against. The white +1def works against them all, the visors do not. Tempered Steel is also an exhausted card and it makes their attack a bit more reliable since they have no real use for surge results. It may only be 1 hit, but especially in a 4x1 thats a lot of damage while simultaneously upping your defense.

Visors may potentially improve your max damage by allowing you to weather 1 attack safely while you dial in the much slower attack for the +1hit mod, but how often do they only suffer 1 attack? Never in my experience. And with 3 dice even if 2 of them are red you are bound to get a random surge in there. Security over maximum damage, that white +1def has saved my cavalry's can way too much.

35 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

Yes i prefer Tempered Steel for sure.

Why?

Its very common for archers to just shoot into the cavalry, meaning multiple attacks they have to defend against. The white +1def works against them all, the visors do not. Tempered Steel is also an exhausted card and it makes their attack a bit more reliable since they have no real use for surge results. It may only be 1 hit, but especially in a 4x1 thats a lot of damage while simultaneously upping your defense.

Visors may potentially improve your max damage by allowing you to weather 1 attack safely while you dial in the much slower attack for the +1hit mod, but how often do they only suffer 1 attack? Never in my experience. And with 3 dice even if 2 of them are red you are bound to get a random surge in there. Security over maximum damage, that white +1def has saved my cavalry's can way too much.

Yea Tempered steel is just a better and cheaper upgrade to use. Especially on the crossbows. Oathsworn love it too cause they just hit at initiative 3 to buff defense and few units will attack back around then unless your mirror matching. Spearman can use Visored helms, but the smaller blocks don't really need to spend 7 points for an upgrade like that when they are just as good at being small and cheap. Rune Golems are the last unit that can use em and honestly, wind rune is a much more versatile upgrade. That initiative 3 special action with a boost for defense does the same thing essentially for the whole round. Unless they got some new unit planned, this upgrade is pretty worthless.

I think there's a definite case for taking it on Spearmen. Going from one to two defense is a huge durability increase, and there are only three ways they can do it on turns they want to attack:

• Lance Corporal - attacking early with armor is pretty cool, and so is charging 4 etc. The Champion slot IS pretty competitive though, especially if you've got a rune golem along for the ride.
  • Shield Wall - bit cheaper, but if the condition isn't met there's nothing you can do. Sketchy on a 3x2, but not exactly reliable even on a 3x3. However, plays nice with low-initiative actions.
  • Visored Helms - the cost makes me frown, and deliberately attacking later in the turn can absolutely cost you rerolls/threat, but it's about the most reliable way to get that defense buff.