Force Majeure

Anybody else feel bad for winning?

So I finally broke my losing streak last week (roughly 20-odd losses) and this weekend I went to a Store Champs and went 2-2, yet when I won I felt bad about it. Have I trained myself to expect to lose so when it doesn't happen it feels wrong somehow?

Maybe I need to keep winning in order to cast off the expectation to lose of which I've become inured.

Does anyone else feel bad for winning?

Edited by Force Majeure

It depends on how I win. If it was a back and forth game where I managed to get the upper hand in the end, heck no. That's what the game is all about. But if I table wipe someone, some guilt comes in, whether it was due to inexperience or bad dice on my opponent's part. I would honestly prefer to lose by a hair then win by a mile. 

Only time I felt bad was regionals, we were both 2-1, so one more loss means you are out of cut. He was flying Dengar Asajj and I killed Asajj in round 2 (not 2nd round of combat, but round 2 of the game), and Dengar dropped 3 rounds later. Game was over in about 20 minutes. Felt really bad for him to end his regional hopes like that.

If its a close game, back & forth, good moves on both sides, no. If its a complete slaughter, whether its due to bad dice or a single bad maneuver throwing the whole game off, yes.

If the game doesn't end with both myself & my opponent laughing while we shake hands, then I feel a bit guilty.

The only time I feel bad is when I beat kids.  A dad brought his kid (like 13ish) to our local tournament from a state over because they don't have a scene there.  He was running a titleless defender (after vets were already out) with a TIE Punisher and some TIE Fighters.  Meanwhile I'm running VCX-100 + HyperDash and pretty much just trounce him.

Apparently he still had a good time though because we all helped him learn the rules properly and stuff.  I know I saw somebody teach him the proper way to fly in formation.  He had only ever played with his parents before.

We also have a father-son combo that regularly come to our tournaments.  The son likes to run unique lists and is overly attached to stealth device.  I used to feel bad about beating him until he one-shot my Vessery with Fenn Rau.

Edited by Zefirus

The time that I felt the worst was when not only did I table my opponent under 20 minutes during a casual game while losing only a few shields, but as I opened my case, the shock sent his empty drink falling, which knocked his tie bomber and sent it crashing to the ground, exploding in 3 pieces.  Fortunately it was broken "correctly" and it was nothing a little glue could not fix, but I had offered to replace it should the repairs prove problematic.

That's probably where destroying an opponent's fleet was both figurative and literal.

I forgot to mention this:

I also play Imperial Assault, but when I win IA I'm beaming. I just can't stop smiling about it. I thank the other player for a hard fought win and usually bring up a point in the game where he had me on the ropes with a good dice roll or what-have you, so they know I had to work for the win.

I lose as often as not, but I haven't felt bad about winning that game once. It just seems to be X-wing that does it to me.

Edited by Force Majeure

I like playing a competition.  Win, Lose or Draw I like both of us to be engaged and for the match to feel like every decision matters.  Matches where I am either completely out of my depth or my opponent is are not rewarding.  I have played opponents who were psychologically defeated by their prior matches and had lost confidence in their list and just "played out" the round and those always feel awful.  As does running up on an opponent who has put more time into their list and practice than I put into my day job.

No, minus one exception. I enjoy my games win, lose or draw. I hope my opponent can enjoy the game too regardless of outcome as well. But I know not everyone is the same. Though I do get frustrated and can understand someone else being frustrated and not enjoying if the dice RNG gods refuse their prayers and hand myself or them blank after blank rolls lol. Had a few matches where it was blank after blank, for either side. So if i were to win that way, I'd feel bad because they lost solely on dice when their tactics and plays were excellent. 

2 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

So I finally broke my losing streak last week (roughly 20-odd losses) and this weekend I went to a Store Champs and went 2-2, yet when I won I felt bad about it. Have I trained myself to expect to lose so when it doesn't happen it feels wrong somehow?

Maybe I need to keep winning in order to cast off the expectation to lose of which I've become inured.

Does anyone else feel bad for winning?

I have serious issues with this. And will often throw games in order to make them closer or give my opponent the win (Tournaments I don't, but I hate knowing that I won a game due to dice).

Interestingly, when I start throwing out whack moves to give away the game, I often start to win even harder. This says something about the 'flow' of a game and being able to disrupt it. 

I feel bad for winning based on outrageous luck.  (It's only slightly less bad than losing based on outrageous luck.)  I feel bad when I win against a newer player in lop-sided fashion.  (Even though I try to explain what my list wants to do, before we even start, and I help out new players as much as they will accept during games.)  I feel bad when I win because of a match-up.  (This is a variation of "outrageous luck," but it's distinct.)

But the worst I've ever felt about winning a game was when I recently b!tched, moaned, and whined about having to play a good local player, Jossle, who had the hard-counter to my list (we both had RAC+Quickdraw, but his RAC had Kylo).  But then we played, my dice were white-hot, and it was over almost before it started.  I felt so bad I bought him a sandwich ... not for the loss, but for the pre-game b!tchin' I did.

Not at all, no one should feel bad for winning.;)

Unless you were flying jumpmasters, or Biggs, or TLTs, or Scum, or Sabine, or x7 Defenders, or Emperor Palpatine, or Soontir, or Fat Han, or C-3PO, or turrets, or Whisper, then you are just a cheap noob with no skill who netlists to win.:P

Edited by Marinealver

2 hours ago, Innese said:

If its a close game, back & forth, good moves on both sides, no. If its a complete slaughter, whether its due to bad dice or a single bad maneuver throwing the whole game off, yes...

This.  If it's back and forth on both sides and a close run thing, usually it's not so bad.  If it's totally one sided or luck is clearly not favouring my opponent, then it's difficult.

1 hour ago, Thormind said:

I do. I never know how to react properly.

Same here.  Try to act sympathetic, will that make things worse?  Say good game and move on?  It's difficult.  A lot depends on how your opponent it handling it.  Almost everyone is fine and can shrug it off while being disappointed, or want to discuss big moments in the game or what they could have done differently, nbut occasionally you find people who'd prefer to just leave it at that.

Depends...  I played my "Try Hard" list at a SC a few weeks back and came in second on the Swiss...  I did feel bad against several of the lists I wound up playing against because my Dengar/Nym list was a pretty much a hard counter to them...  It was not an automatic win for me, but...  

Worst I ever felt was against a new player in a minor local tournament.  It was the fourth round and we were both 2-1 so he had been doing fairly well but our game was over in less than 20 min and I only lost a couple shields.  He just sat there after the game was over.  I had no clue what to say to him.

3 hours ago, BlodVargarna said:

One should only feel bad winning if one flies TLT, Jump Masters, Palp, Zuckus, Kanan Biggs, Rebel Jankyard, or Miranda. 

I feel soo bad with my 4 aggressors, i've never had that high of a win %.  It's to a point where the guys i play with asked me to play something else . Its nice to play Imperials and have an easier time for once :-)