GreenLantern1138

I'm new to Scum, and I want a Mist Hunter.

I'm thinking of buying a Mist Hunter. Am I insane? I know it's 'bad', I've seen the dial, but I'm obsessed with this ship because of how weird it seems to me. I'm a long-time Rebel pilot and it almost seems kinda B-wingy to me (although B-wings get cannons). I wouldn't even say it's bad, just strangely average; no noteworthy tricks, no secondary weapons, and a dial that's at face value hard to use but would surely become manageable with practice. Is the ship hated or merely disliked? I wanna talk about it.

It's suite like the b Wing yes. It's pretty average and doesn't Bring much outside of a big HP pool and 3 attack dice. It would have been cool around wave 2-3 bit theese days not so much.

You get som Good cards in the pack and you can fly a One of the unique ones with the title but don't expect much

At the Campaign Against Cancer event this last spring, I flew a G1A (non titled mist Hunter) among my squad.

Paired with fire control, it has the attack dice to do some damage, especially if there's other scarier things in the list that help draw fire away from the G1A. TLTs will melt it, so if your area is tlt heavy I'd try to plan around that. Other alpha strikes could kill it but again, put it in a list with other scarier things and the alpha strikes may ignore the lone Gand in the corner.

My list was: Asajj + mindlink + Latts, Fenn +mindlink + title + autothrusters , and Gand Findsmen + mindlink + fire control

Edited by ScummyRebel

I have had good success with it recently.  I fly 4-LOM with Mindlink and Outlaw Tech.  When ever I do one of the many red moves on the dial, I get a stress and a focus token and mindlink spreads them to the rest of the squad.  But then my other ships pull green moves to clear their stress and 4- LOM passes his to an enemy ship in the end phase.

It helps that my opponents usually go after my Talonbane Cobra first but at PS 9 he usually puts out enough damage before dying that I dont mind using him as bait.  I cant wait for Kihraxz title to drop.

Buy what you want to fly. 

Remember that a lot of the posters on these threads go from competitive to very competitive and tend to poo poo things that don't meet their competitive standards.

As Jocke01 mentioned there are some good cards in the pack and you can build some interesting Scum squads.

Me? I'm a casual player and have two. They are good fun!

Fly what you like and you'll like what you fly.  Unless you're trying to be a national or world champion -- good luck with that -- life's too short to not enjoy what you're flying.

The Zuckuss -- Talonbane -- Fenn 5-dice face punch is pretty nasty, and fun, but beatable too, so your opponent won't hate you too much for flying it.

It depends on what you want to get out of the game.  Are you expecting to win Worlds or some other major event?  If so, then don't take it.  Are you wanting to have fun in the game and fly what makes you happy?  Go for it.  You might never win a store championship with it, but you might win one.  When a ship is considered "bad", no one ever uses it.  No one finds uses for it.  No one looks for the unique role it could fit when something new comes out.  Some people just fly better with certain ships because they understand it.  So, you might do alright flying the Mist Hunter.  I recall when there was some guy called Biophysical who liked Tie Defenders and flew them on his own, even when everyone said they were the worst ship in the game (before Imperial Vets).  He ended up getting really good with them and place very high at some major events.  

Overall, fly what you want and try it out.  You might find the next broken list that way.

Mist Hunter is fun to fly, though melts to concentrated fire. Thematically a nice ship.

4-Lom with stress passing is surprisingly efficient.

Then there is Railgun Zuckuss, who supposedly was awesome at a time from before earnest powercreep setting in (never tested myself), if I remember correctly this was @Icelom 's idea:

"Zuckuss

-Expose

-Experimental Interface

-Advanced Sensors

-K4 Security Droid

Advanced Sensors Focus, EI into Expose, green maneuver for TL.

In the combat phase, using his ability, you're sitting at 5-6 red dice with TL and focus token.

Best part is, it can't be stopped by blocking. Adv.S doesn't care and K4 doesn't care, so long as you have a target you can shoot. In fact intentional bumping with greens ups the survivability"

And as said above, if you do not aim at super-competitive, it is fun. Btw, knowing your list in and out gives you an advantage over people which only copy the newest hot netlist.

Edited by Managarmr
spelling

I like the control that brings out 4-Lom.

Anyway, is one of the few scum ships that can use MinefieldMapper with CadBane+Scavenger Crane. I like this build in 4-Lom with title and PTL.

3 hours ago, Innese said:

A buddy and I have kicked around the idea of a trio of G-1As before:

3x Gand Findsman
Rage
Advanced Sensors
Inspiring Recruit
Hull Upgrade

Use Rage with Advanced Sensor, perform a green to clear both stress with Inspiring Recruit, fire away.

Someone won a championship with three G1A, if I remember correctly. 

And yeah, Dengar crew on a G1A is quite effective.

It's a B-Wing that costs an extra point in return for a slightly better dial and a slightly better PS. All in all, this makes it slightly worse than a B-wing, which itself is not a powerhouse of the meta, these days.

But it doesn't mean it's rubbish, either - it's always been a better bet than pre-buff StarViper, Kithraxz, or Scyks were, it's just not great. And, of course, it showed up in the same wave as Jumpmasters, so being merely 'okay' was never going to be anywhere close to enough.

But it has some fun builds, and is not a bad choice, and so if you're flying to have fun, you can do a heck of a lot worse :) Just remember not to invest too much into it; cool as the options it boasts are, it still dies as fast as a Y-wing. Oh, and unless you're going for an absolute bargain-basement ship, you almost always want the title, because tractor beams and barrel rolls are great.

Have fun with it, and use the crew!

It's a great ship with some strengths and weaknesses, but put it side by side against a Jumpmaster and it really suffers in the comparison.  I was flying a list with Atani mind linked Gand Findsman with tactician  and slicer tools.  When I tried to improve the list I found that just trading all my shops for scouts was just so much better it was sad.

its not that the G1A is bad, it is just another victim of other things in scum just being broken-good.

Well, I ve used Gand Findsman as a support ship with wingman and inspiring recruit a lot. He works great in removing the stress taken by Zuckuss or Glitterstim from the "party buss"

Bossk
Swarm Leader
4-LOM
Dengar
Zuckuss
Glitterstim

Gand Findsman
Wingman
Inspiring Recruit

Inaldra
Veteran Instincts
Heavy Laser Cannon
Pulsed Ray Shield
"Heavy Scyk" Interceptor

... You know, a Mist Hunter with the Vaksai title would be the happiest spaceship ever.

Their cost isn't far off; the problem is you really want to load out all those sweet upgrade slots, and it just never has the HP to justify it. At a 1pt discount per shiny, though... oooh. :D

Edited by Reiver

4-LOM (27)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Zuckuss (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Black Market Slicer Tools (1)
Tractor Beam (1)
Mist Hunter (0)
... costs 33 pts.

With a Vaksai-alike title, it would be 28. Yes indeed, I think I would gladly pay 28 for that bundle of pain and misery...

Zuckuss + VI + Dengar + Advanced Sensors (+Title and TB if you want) is a solid ace counter.  He spits out 4-5 attack dice with a good degree of modifiers.  Certainly not world beating; but a solid anchor addition to many lists.

Edited by Dr Zoidberg

I agree with what everyone has said, if you like it, fly it. But I disagree with your initial assessment:

On 2017-08-06 at 1:56 PM, GreenLantern1138 said:

I'm thinking of buying a Mist Hunter. Am I insane? I know it's 'bad'

It's not bad. It's not top tier world champs winning (jm5k) but it's vastly underrated and I'd say it's above average. I'm by no means a tournament seasoned veteran but I have a high winning % with the G1a and placed 2nd in a small local tournament with a list built around 4-LOM.

Both its named pilots are good. The title is very good. The ship has good slots with a combo of system and crew. It has a good combination of actions with the title granting it the barrel roll and the Evade vastly helping it not die so fast. Not many scum ships have the Evade action. Scum Crew are great, so is FCS. So you can definitely build cost effective dangerous ships. Either do damage or do tractor to support the rest of your squadron.

4-LOM with Mist hunter, Wired, Zuckus crew and Inertial dampeneres is what I've played most. Add FCS if you have the points or keep him cheap. Reds, ID and Zuckus to add stress to yourself, to give away to the enemy. 

Zuckus with Mist hunter, Juke (profit from the evade action), Dengar/K4 or FCS is a competent player. Glitterstim if you have the points. VI instead of Juke if you want to play the all 5 dice PS9 list with Talonbane and Fenn. 

Besides all its uses, the ship looks extremely cool which is always a win. :) 

The expansion also comes with good cards for other builds. Both 4-LOM and Zuckus crew are great for many of the Large scum ships. The illicit Cloaking device is cool for the Kihraxz, especially with the coming Vaksai title. Hello Viktor Hel or Talonbane Cloakbra!

TL;DR: Buy it and enjoy it!

Edited by westiebestie