Kylocat

Offense for Sloane

I'm having trouble finding a good combination of firepower and squadron activation for Sloane to really do something. I've been running a Quasar and Demolisher with some raiders/flotillas but just doesn't seem to be enough offense. What are some good options for bringing some hurt to utilize Sloane's abilities?

I have used a quasar, demo, flotilla and raider. Then 10 squads. 2 defenders, merek, jendon, 4 ties a junpmaster and an advanced. I find it gives me the versatility in my squad game, you have to be happy with the fact you can not activate all squads but that hasn't actually been an issue for me. 

Edited by Benji1980

On 8/5/2017 at 2:39 PM, Kylocat said:

I'm having trouble finding a good combination of firepower and squadron activation for Sloane to really do something. I've been running a Quasar and Demolisher with some raiders/flotillas but just doesn't seem to be enough offense. What are some good options for bringing some hurt to utilize Sloane's abilities?

focusing too much on Sloanes ability may be a trap.  while she is good, enemy fighters can hurt our ships as well.  Overall id rather have to slug it out with my squadrons than disengage my opponent and let the game come down to which personas bombing run rolls better.

I have enjoyed a 5 activation fleet with flotillas ISD and then a 5th ship either a beater or a support ship.  the squadron load out is consistently evolving, as are the upgrades.

Honestly.  I personally don't like the Quasar, no firepower and no health.  for way cheaper you could run 2x gozantis and push similar squadrons. 

10 minutes ago, BergerFett said:

Honestly.  I personally don't like the Quasar, no firepower and no health.  for way cheaper you could run 2x gozantis and push similar squadrons. 

Really with the Quasar you are paying a small point premium and losing an activation to run flight controllers and deploy a withering squadron alpha. That's essentially it. For some fleet's it is worth it, for others not. But it does exist in a happy space between a VSD carrier and a Gozanti where previously Imp's completely lacked an option.

My Sloane fleet features a quasar, practically naked, as my "Sacrificial" ship. It is the ship I can know can power my squads, put into a bait position, and last just long enough that I can destroy a game-winning quantity of my opponents fleet even if it goes down. If you have a role for it, especially with sloane, the quasar can be a useful tool.

If you just need it to push ties, then take the gozantis.

On 5/8/2017 at 8:39 PM, Kylocat said:

Quasar, ABT, 2 or 3 flotillas and squadron mass swarm.

13 minutes ago, BrobaFett said:

But it does exist in a happy space between a VSD carrier and a Gozanti where previously Imp's completely lacked an option.

Gladiator can manage same squadrons as a flotilla with better upgrades.

5 minutes ago, DOMSWAT911 said:

Avenger and Sloane, always a good mix :)

thats why i like having my isd push squadrons and found my quasar to be redundancy with no other potential for how i like to play the game.

if you want firepower play ISD1 avenger, ordance experts. its liek 122pts.  add demo and 3 gozantis and you are at 270ish points.

Edited by BergerFett

I have had great success with this list. The fighter presence might be light for Sloan lists, but if my opponent brings a light screen I'll get extra value from my fighters.  If I'm against a havey bombing Wings well I have a lot of space suppirority to deal with that. I still have 8 fighters and the gunships to support them.  I also feel like the list is very thematic, at least it feels so to me.

Faction: Galactic Empire

Commander: Admiral Sloane

Assault Objective: Most Wanted
Defense Objective: Contested Outpost
Navigation Objective: Solar Corona

[ flagship ] Imperial I-Class Star Destroyer(110 points)
-  Admiral Sloane  ( 24  points) 
-  Avenger  ( 5  points) 
-  Boarding Troopers  ( 3  points) 
-  Quad Battery Turrets  ( 5  points) 
-  Leading Shots  ( 4  points) 
= 151 total ship cost

Arquitens-class Light Cruiser (54 points)
= 59 total ship cost

Arquitens-class Light Cruiser (54 points)
= 59 total ship cost

Gozanti-class Cruisers (23 points)
-  Suppressor  ( 4  points) 
-  Comms Net  ( 2  points) 
= 29 total ship cost

Gozanti-class Cruisers (23 points)
-  Comms Net  ( 2  points) 
= 25 total ship cost

1 "Howlrunner" ( 16 points) 
6 TIE Fighter Squadrons ( 48 points) 
1 Valen Rudor ( 13 points) 

I've had fun with the below list. I give Vic-I Warlord some versatility. Still seems light on offense with only three activations,  but it seems to hold its own... Next time I run it though, I will put Sloane on the Warlord, and really just push the Stronghold out there with squadrons. While they waste a turn or two blowing it up, hopefully my VSD/Demo are winning the day by then...

Assault Objective: Close-Range Intel Scan
Defense Objective: Fighter Ambush
Navigation Objective: Superior Positions

[ flagship ] Quasar Fire I-class Cruiser-Carrier (54 points)
-  Admiral Sloane  ( 24  points) 
-  Stronghold  ( 5  points) 
-  Disposable Capacitors  ( 3  points) 
86 total ship cost

Victory I-Class Star Destroyer (73 points)
-  Warlord  ( 8  points) 
-  Captain Needa  ( 2  points) 
-  Boarding Troopers  ( 3  points) 
-  Turbolaser Reroute Circuits  ( 7  points) 
-  Assault Proton Torpedoes  ( 5  points) 
98 total ship cost

Gladiator II-Class Star Destroyer (62 points)
-  Demolisher  ( 10  points) 
-  Ordnance Experts  ( 4  points) 
-  Engineering Team  ( 5  points) 
-  External Racks  ( 3  points) 
84 total ship cost

1 "Howlrunner" ( 16 points) 
1 Black Squadron ( 9 points) 
1 Dengar ( 20 points) 
3 TIE Fighter Squadrons ( 24 points) 
1 Ciena Ree ( 17 points) 
1 Saber Squadron ( 12 points) 
1 Whisper ( 20 points) 
1 TIE Phantom Squadron ( 14 points)

On 5.8.2017 at 8:39 PM, Kylocat said:

Avenger

Top list is mine, and below I have an assessment of its chances, strengths, and weaknesses. I would think the most important thing is not having a suite of threats that can take advantage of presented opportunities, but a hugely powerful threat that can delete targets that the fighters are directly preparing. In other words the fighters follow the threat, not the other way around. 

Well, the air wing I've been using for the last 6 or so games looks like this:

Maarek Stele

Colonel Jendon

"Whisper"

TIE Phantoms x3

Saber Squadron

TIE Interceptors x1

My experience with phantoms in those 6 games has been nothing but positive. I used to run them without Sloane and also hated their very RNG anti-ship dice, but that Sloane re-roll has been clutch on more than one occasion. One of these days I'm going to do a proper write-up on my experiences with them, probably after I've gotten a few more games under my belt.

15 hours ago, GiledPallaeon said:

In theory Phantoms are ideal. In my experience they go bang too fast for Defenders to not generally be superior.

they are way too hit or miss in anti ship but they are good.  i run 2 with 2 defenders and then a splattering of other stuff.  i have a store championship before NOVA i plan on attending so ill get better practice there, it will probably be too late to make adjustments at that point.