lecudas

Netrunner Universe in Genesys?

I have not played Netrunner LCG, or Android - but am intrigued by the cyberpunk setting that I have seen. I would love to role-play in the Netrunner universe! What do you all think the odds are that FFG will give out a Netrunner module in Genesys? They have so much fantastic artwork already, and with all games and novels produced it shouldn't be too hard to write a "world book"...

It's all pure speculation at this point, but I'm willing to bet the three setting-specific books we see first are:

• Runebound/Descent
  • Legend of the Five Rings
  • Conversion Book for Star Wars

After that, it's a crapshoot. Netrunner is popular, true, but as noted, the Artbook + what seems to be covered in the Core Book should get you there. If you can't do it with those two books, GMing might not be for you.

I'd also think there might be some complications arising from the details of the Netrunner license, in that they've leased it from WOTC, and the original system is based on the Cyberpunk 2020 (now 2077) roleplaying game. One couldn't simply lift everything from FFG Netrunner without carefully excising all that comes from the original card game (certain card names and such). There's honestly not much left of the original, but I'm sure there's fine print we're not able to see that makes an Android conversion less simple than it seems.

But we are promised an Android RPG in the Genesys announcement, so anything not intimately connected to the Netrunner game itself is likely fair game. This includes anything from the Android boardgame and any content from the card game that doesn't duplicate a card or concept straight from Netrunner. You're probably not going to see "net damage", "meat damage", and "brain damage" in Genesys but you may see ICE that delivers Strain, Wounds, and Critical Injuries, and running as a concept will not resemble the card game at all except in terms of programs used (those that aren't trademarked names from the WOTC edition).

Edited by Big Head Zach

Rules for cybernetics, astral space, and VR/matrix are what I'd love to see in the core book. I really want to convert SR to a newer system that is more streamlined. I love the SR universe, but even 5e has held on to old concepts and is overly complicated.

For what it's worth, Savage Worlds (using the Interface Zero 2.0 setting book, which is super Cyberpunk) can be pretty easily retooled to run Shadowrun games. Even has race creation rules and a fairly robust magic system built in.

I think Genesys will end up being the better option in the end, but options are nice!

From what I read and watched is that GENESYS is going to be mostly a a tool set for using in any type of setting you want, so when Android comes out in the future, if you want to can just port over the other races Elves and Dwarves over to it and you would have Shadowrun. Now you would maybe look around for the other races that are in Shadowrun to use with Android.

51 minutes ago, gilbur said:

From what I read and watched is that GENESYS is going to be mostly a a tool set for using in any type of setting you want, so when Android comes out in the future, if you want to can just port over the other races Elves and Dwarves over to it and you would have Shadowrun. Now you would maybe look around for the other races that are in Shadowrun to use with Android.

Watched? is there anywhere a video somewhere with more insights? :D 

no more videos there is an interview someone posted though, Character sheet is posted on facebook too. I guess now with the big news out of Gencon, we have to hope they will start to post more articles on this project, which from what I heard is something they have been working on for most of the year. What I am wondering though is why is most of the rpg stuff still under development like Fully Operational has been there since February, come on Fantasy flight, let's get these books published and since you guys are still having this stuff come from China, this means these books won't be on our hands until next year the longer it is in Development.

On 5.8.2017 at 8:57 PM, lecudas said:

I have not played Netrunner LCG, or Android - but am intrigued by the cyberpunk setting that I have seen. I would love to role-play in the Netrunner universe! What do you all think the odds are that FFG will give out a Netrunner module in Genesys? They have so much fantastic artwork already, and with all games and novels produced it shouldn't be too hard to write a "world book"...

I'm a bit sceptical about it. Because originally (before FFG) netrunner was based on Cyberpunk 2020 roleplaying game by R. Talsorian Games. So there is a potential for rights issues. I haven't played FFG Netrunner so I don't know how much related the game is to Cyberpunk anymore, but I'd guess not much if at all. If rights are not an issue, then I think they may very well do it.

2 hours ago, kkuja said:

I'm a bit sceptical about it. Because originally (before FFG) netrunner was based on Cyberpunk 2020 roleplaying game by R. Talsorian Games. So there is a potential for rights issues. I haven't played FFG Netrunner so I don't know how much related the game is to Cyberpunk anymore, but I'd guess not much if at all. If rights are not an issue, then I think they may very well do it.

FFG has the license to the Netrunner rules, but they're not using the Cyberpunk 2020 universe; FFG's Netrunner is called Android: Netrunner, and it's based in their pre-existing Android universe. They've already made other Android stuff without consulting WotC (novels, setting books, board games), none of which required licensing.

And they've announced the Genesys book is in the works.

If they plan to do Android, it seems that Legend of the Five Rings is a safe bet. I wonder if that or Runebound will get more attention for the Fantasy side of things.

Twilight Imperium seems the likely focus for space but I can see it being ignored due to Star Wars.

Ugh, really want to know what they focus on after the main book gets released.

I am very doubtful it will happen but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for few Fallout books.

On 8/7/2017 at 10:26 AM, CitizenKeen said:

Conversion Book for Star Wars

A Star Wars conversion book is extremely unlikely. At most a free PDF of errata for SWRPG that include the most common GENESYS fixes for known issues (e.g. defense stacking). The difference here is on the level of D&D 3.0 to 3.5... There's just not enough change to justify a book of conversions, and the Star Wars lines aren't even done yet.

Honestly, considering that there shouldn't be that many differences between Genesys and the SW rpg, I would be surprised if there was more than an advertising blip for the SW rpg.

8 hours ago, sfRattan said:

A Star Wars conversion book is extremely unlikely. At most a free PDF of errata for SWRPG that include the most common GENESYS fixes for known issues (e.g. defense stacking). The difference here is on the level of D&D 3.0 to 3.5... There's just not enough change to justify a book of conversions, and the Star Wars lines aren't even done yet.

5 hours ago, Rrok007 said:

Honestly, considering that there shouldn't be that many differences between Genesys and the SW rpg, I would be surprised if there was more than an advertising blip for the SW rpg.

I'm expecting something like what WotC did with 3.5: a free PDF that lets you convert from one to the other. Example.