Virtigo

Purchasing 3x Single Clans Only

Do you guys think that this will be a thing where people online split their core boxes and sell each Clan individually?

If so, if I am only interested in one clan, would this be a better investment purchasing neutrals and other clan cards to fill out my deck rather than just getting three core boxes? 

Team Covenant did this for AGot LCG 1.0, but the single factions were overpriced and nobody bought it because of this. As a player I also don't see the use, because you how the conflict decks work. And it could be possible, that strongholds will be released, that let you put cards from other clans into your dynasty deck.

That depends...  If they do 2x per neutral card then it is possible you could save some money buying the clans / neutral cards individually.  If they are just 1x per neutral card than 3 boxes doesn't give any neutral cards to spare - and you would want neutral cards, not just your clan cards...

Do we have any confirmation about whether neutral will be 1x or 2x?  I really hope it is 2x...

I would see if your friends and/or anyone at your FLGS is planning on playing.  For AGoT 2.0, a friend and I each bought 2 core sets, then we swapped cards for the factions that we had chosen plus some of the neutrals that we were not going to use.  When our FLGS had a good L5R environment, we would often give away cards from outside our faction.  For instance, I was usually the only Phoenix player, so I would get most of their cards, but I usually gave up all of my cards from the other clans.  So, if you have 3+ players at your FLGS, you may be able to get by with just one core.

Another option, at least in the standard FFG window between core and first cycle, is to buy one core set initially and buy more over time if you want to play more competitively.  Locally for A:NR and AGoT 2.0, we would go back and forth in the beginning between standard tournaments and 1 x Core Set Tournaments, they were a blast!

6 minutes ago, Asako Taiyo said:

Another option, at least in the standard FFG window between core and first cycle, is to buy one core set initially and buy more over time if you want to play more competitively.  Locally for A:NR and AGoT 2.0, we would go back and forth in the beginning between standard tournaments and 1 x Core Set Tournaments, they were a blast!

If you buy games as often as I do, all it really takes is putting aside your monthly purchase for a few months out of the year.

4 hours ago, shosuko said:

That depends...  If they do 2x per neutral card then it is possible you could save some money buying the clans / neutral cards individually.  If they are just 1x per neutral card than 3 boxes doesn't give any neutral cards to spare - and you would want neutral cards, not just your clan cards...

Do we have any confirmation about whether neutral will be 1x or 2x?  I really hope it is 2x...

In the learn to play rulebook that was posted in another topic, there's a description of the 2 learn to play decks. If I remember right, it says to take 1 of each neutral conflict card and 1 of each neutral holding in each deck, and 1 or 2 of 4 different neutral dynasty characters. So, I guess we'll have 2 of most neutral cards and 3 of a few ( with maybe only one of those neutral dynasty characters that are not used in the learn to play decks).

Edited by KerenRhys

On 8/4/2017 at 7:37 PM, Virtigo said:

Do you guys think that this will be a thing where people online split their core boxes and sell each Clan individually?

If so, if I am only interested in one clan, would this be a better investment purchasing neutrals and other clan cards to fill out my deck rather than just getting three core boxes? 

I tried this in AGOT 2.0 and found it not worth it.   Let's break it down.   Let's say I find 3 core for 30 each.  So 90/7 = $13.  Now let's tack on $4 for shipping and packaging.   We're up to $17.  Ebay and Paypal add a 13% fee so now we're at $19 just to break even and only if I sell all 7.  I need to add a couple bucks to the price just to make it worth my time and now we are at the place where you might as well by a core set

Yeah I think it's more likely a local game group will share a collection.  I agree that you'll want to have all the clan's conflict cards for flexibility so if you have no access to those cards it will probably cause some issues for you.

Edited by phillos

2 hours ago, Barbacuo said:

The point is, are they gonna do this with every single card pack? If you are going to buy the full dinasty packs, I don't see the point of buying just one clan in the core sets.

This is why it would work better locally - you could have 2 people share buying 3 cores and 1x each dynasty pack and they may be able to play well together out of that collection.  Sharing the collection works alright, actually splitting up the collection doesn't work as well...

It depends on the cost and the business model. I assume any player, casual or otherwise, will want at least one core box. It includes not only the card, but the tokens and the rulebook and potentially other goodies.

What people will want is actually cut cost on the second and third core box to complete the collection for their favorite clan. The core box cost 40$ each (plus tax and shipping, if applicable). Let's approximate at 50$ for ease of calculation. Within that box, you have cards for seven clans and a bunch of neutral cards.To cover your cost and make profits, you need to sell the content for a total higher than 50$, but not too much because it means it's no longer profitable to buy singles instead of packs.

If I were to put a price on things, I would say 9$ for a single copie of a single clan (all the unicorns cards, once, for example), and then you sell the neutrals as singles (with a price depending on demand, from 10 cents for drink coasters to 5$ for that one card everyone wants).The only cards you have left are the cards you really only need once (like provinces or strongholds) and the actual boxes. You can go funky from there and contract artists to modify them and sell them at a premium or offer them as publicity stunts to Tournament Organizers.

I have no idea if such a business model would work, but that's what I'd do.

PS: For the dynasty packs, sell them as singles, but also by a bunch of them and sell clan-related ones in bulk after one cycle.

Edited by Tetsuhiko

2 hours ago, Tetsuhiko said:

It depends on the cost and the business model. I assume any player, casual or otherwise, will want at least one core box. It includes not only the card, but the tokens and the rulebook and potentially other goodies.

What people will want is actually cut cost on the second and third core box to complete the collection for their favorite clan. The core box cost 40$ each (plus tax and shipping, if applicable). Let's approximate at 50$ for ease of calculation. Within that box, you have cards for seven clans and a bunch of neutral cards.To cover your cost and make profits, you need to sell the content for a total higher than 50$, but not too much because it means it's no longer profitable to buy singles instead of packs.

If I were to put a price on things, I would say 9$ for a single copie of a single clan (all the unicorns cards, once, for example), and then you sell the neutrals as singles (with a price depending on demand, from 10 cents for drink coasters to 5$ for that one card everyone wants).The only cards you have left are the cards you really only need once (like provinces or strongholds) and the actual boxes. You can go funky from there and contract artists to modify them and sell them at a premium or offer them as publicity stunts to Tournament Organizers.

I have no idea if such a business model would work, but that's what I'd do.

PS: For the dynasty packs, sell them as singles, but also by a bunch of them and sell clan-related ones in bulk after one cycle.

Here's your problem.  Let's say you get your box for 40 including tax.  Divide by 8 for 7 factions plus neutrals.   That gives you $5.  Now tack on $4 for shipping and shipping supplies puts you at $9.  Now add 13% for eBay fees and your up to $10 just to break even.  You're going to need to add a couple bucks just to make it worth your time and effort and everyone will complain that you are charging too much because they are paying for 33% of the core set but only getting 13%.

Here's the real kicker.   If you try this, the only thing you will ever sell are the neutrals.   All the competitive players will have 3 cores and just want neutrals for multiple decks.  The casual player is happy with one core or will think you are over charging for one clan

With Core Sets as low as $32, there won't be much of clan market out there. If you're not sure about wanting to buy 3 Core Sets out of the gate, just buy one to learn/play the game and determine later if you really want to invest in more.

On 8/5/2017 at 6:04 AM, KerenRhys said:

In the learn to play rulebook that was posted in another topic, there's a description of the 2 learn to play decks. If I remember right, it says to take 1 of each neutral conflict card and 1 of each neutral holding in each deck, and 1 or 2 of 4 different neutral dynasty characters. So, I guess we'll have 2 of most neutral cards and 3 of a few ( with maybe only one of those neutral dynasty characters that are not used in the learn to play decks).

If you read that part carefully, you'll see the cards you're asked to take 2-of's are not the same  in the two demo decks. We'll most certainly have all neutrals as two-of's.

Which would mean three core sets allow you to build two complete decks, if you choose different clans.

26 minutes ago, Ser Nakata said:

If you read that part carefully, you'll see the cards you're asked to take 2-of's are not the same  in the two demo decks. We'll most certainly have all neutrals as two-of's.

Which would mean three core sets allow you to build two complete decks, if you choose different clans.

If you compare the deck lists, you'll see that both decks use 1x each neutral holding. Crane gets 2x Seppun Guardsman and Wandering Ronin and 1x Otomo Courtier and Miya Mystic, while Lion gets 2x Otomo Courtier and Miya Mystic and 1x Seppun Guardsman and Wandering Ronin. So that confirms the neutral dynasty characters will each have at least 3 copies per core set. 

3 minutes ago, Stone37 said:

Expansions will come quick and often. I doubt single clan decks will even be viable in competitive play with just Core cards.

I beg to differ, unless you are talking 1 core.  With only 10 influence (ignoring roles) you can only at max add 1-3 playsets of cards from another clan.  I think running without splash will be viable.

4 minutes ago, JRosen9 said:

I beg to differ, unless you are talking 1 core.  With only 10 influence (ignoring roles) you can only at max add 1-3 playsets of cards from another clan.  I think running without splash will be viable.

That's the great thing about games such as this...  You'll be able to try it if you like. ;)

Personally, I don't think splitting cores is a great idea, unless you're splitting it with other local players who you can continuously swap with, as needed.

If you're a competitive player, you'll probably want all the cards just so you can tweak your decks and splash in other clans (I doubt many people will be selling packs JUST of splashable cards for a clan).

If you're a casual player, you should be able to make perfectly fun decks from a single core, and grow them as more expansions get released.

Personally, I'll probably go with 3x Cores, but that's mainly because I'll want the cards to be able to have multiple decks constructed at once.  I probably won't be able to have one for each clan right from the get-go, but after a cycle or two they should be good to go!

21 minutes ago, Childeric the Shatterer said:

Until the mighty Spider clan get released in a deluxe expansion down the line, I'll only need 1 core as I only play 2-3 of the other Inferior clans. 

I'm not even sure you can build a legal deck with 1 core.   

12 minutes ago, JRosen9 said:

I'm not even sure you can build a legal deck with 1 core.   

Not everyone is interested in playing tournaments, so having decks slightly below tournament-legal sizes should be fine.  And it should probably only be a matter of months before the card pool allows for single-core, legal decks (even if they end up a little sub-optimal, initially).

35 minutes ago, Childeric the Shatterer said:

Until the mighty Spider clan get released in a deluxe expansion down the line, I'll only need 1 core as I only play 2-3 of the other Inferior clans. 

So, is this an admission that Spider is an inferior clan?