In the learn to play guide you can see the Keeper of Air role card. It reads as follows:

Keeper. Air.

Increase your deckbuilding influence by 3

Reaction: After you win an air conflict as the defender - gain 1 fate.

On the topic of Role cards, I'm liking the Seeker of Earth, since it means I can put both Entrenched Position and Ancestral Lands in a single deck.

If I face Crane or Phoenix, the Ancestral Lands go under my stronghold. If I face Crab or Lion, the Entrenched Position goes under my stronghold. Unless they built a very versatile deck, they're going to have real trouble breaking it. If we're in a province-trading race then this could be decisive.

Edited by Kitsu Seinosuke

Keeper cards make a big difference. Thirteen influence allows you to splash full playsets of 3 influence cards along with some of the useful cheaper ones or simply get many cheaper ones that suit your playstyle..

For example:

Dragon can get from Lion the full attachment suit Honored Blade, Sashimono plus one Guidance of the Ancestors and still keep the playset of Ready for Battle.

You can get both a playset of Levy and a playset of Reprieve from Crab.

You can get both a playset of Display of Power/Know the World and a playset of Magnificent Kimono from Phoenix.

2 hours ago, Ser Nakata said:

See it as an addendum or erratum to the stronghold for the year. 

Or they could just not let the winner pick a specific role. It's not something that is inherently needed in the game. Having errata'd cards would be fine and all if it happened once. When a card is errata'd every year for the entirety of its existence, you have a very bad card.

2 hours ago, Shosuro Teri said:

Being obliged to run a specific role for an entire year because someone says so feels a little constrictive. There are highly different metas in different regions, and being forced to run a role even though its not optimal to your meta is going to irritate me a lot.

It controls the meta at tournaments. Which is a lot. But if you never test the other keeper and seeker cards you can't find out which one is best for the next switch. 

They are Constrictive. The game will literally change every year. 

Edit- I think this gives more flavor to the game. 

Edited by Devin-the-Poet

12 minutes ago, Kitsu Seinosuke said:

It seems like a way to allow tournament winners to influence the game, while not giving in to the sort of story-input influence that led to Pirates Riding Dinosaurs.

The fault lies on the story team for allowing that abomination, and no one else. Besides, they usually ask for your 2nd and 3rd options for storyline prizes. If a Pirate Riding Dinosaur appears in the story, the story team wanted it there. Here you're actively choosing to restrict deck creativity and depth in meta. Over what? Some flavor prize that isn't exactly needed in the mechanics of the game?

Edited by Shosuro Teri

15 minutes ago, Kitsu Seinosuke said:

It seems like a way to allow tournament winners to influence the game, while not giving in to the sort of story-input influence that led to Pirates Riding Dinosaurs.

It indeed feels like that was the intention with this yearly role determination thing, but I'm not sure having tournament winner choices affecting deck construction is ultimately any better than having it affect story.

2 hours ago, Shosuro Teri said:

Being obliged to run a specific role for an entire year because someone says so feels a little constrictive. There are highly different metas in different regions, and being forced to run a role even though its not optimal to your meta is going to irritate me a lot.

You are looking at things wrong. The Role cards will be determining the Organized play meta and forcing it to shift every year. The system limits the chance for the same deck from being the best deck multiple years in a row with the slower introduction and removal of cards.

15 minutes ago, Shosuro Teri said:

The fault lies on the story team for allowing that abomination, and no one else. Besides, they usually ask for your 2nd and 3rd options for storyline prizes. If a Pirate Riding Dinosaur appears in the story, the story team wanted it there. Here you're actively choosing to restrict deck creativity and depth in meta. Over what? Some flavor prize that isn't exactly needed in the mechanics of the game?

Many of the story prizes were announced by the marketing team without talking to the story team. 

Or so I have been told. 

I guess I don't understand how role cards are restricting anything. They are literally adding options to your deck building with no strings attached...having a specific one selected for your clan just means that in OP, you have a specific additional option enabled for your deck...namely, the benefit of 3 additional influence that you would not normally have, or the ability to use a 2nd copy of your ring's province type that you normally could not use. If you don't like the role card your clan has chosen, you can 100% ignore it and follow the standard deck building rules to make whatever deck you want. 

Edited by Zesu Shadaban

20 minutes ago, Ultimatecalibur said:

You are looking at things wrong. The Role cards will be determining the Organized play meta and forcing it to shift every year. The system limits the chance for the same deck from being the best deck multiple years in a row with the slower introduction and removal of cards.

Am I wrong in assuming that all decks in sanctioned tournaments are obliged to run the Role that was chosen for their clan?

Also, I heard packs are going to be added every 3 months or so (I can't confirm this). I highly doubt that the same deck will be the best deck multiple years in a row when additional cards are added every 3 months (I remember Old L5R having a much slower rotation rate than this one). Also, the meta shifts accordingly not just when cards are added but when certain cards are seeing dominant use.

8 minutes ago, Zesu Shadaban said:

I guess I don't understand how role cards are restricting anything. They are literally adding options to your deck building with no strings attached...having a specific one selected for your clan just means that in OP, you have a specific additional option enabled for your deck...namely, the benefit of 3 additional influence that you would not normally have, or the ability to use a 2nd copy of your ring's province type that you normally could not use. If you don't like the role card your clan has chosen, you can 100% ignore it and follow the standard deck building rules to make whatever deck you want. 

The use of Role cards doesn't restrict anything. The problem is when a specific Role is chosen and you are obliged to use it for the entire year. Imagine the flexibility of being able to use any Role you want to shore up weaknesses in a certain deck you've made. (Like shifting from Keeper or Seeker when the need arises)

Now all of this is pointless if my understanding that all Sanctioned Tournaments are requiring you to play a specific Role card is wrong. You can ignore this raving madman.

Edited by Shosuro Teri

12 minutes ago, Devin-the-Poet said:

Many of the story prizes were announced by the marketing team without talking to the story team. 

Or so I have been told. 

Oh the problem isn't in the announcement, its in the implementation. Ultimately, I would assume the story team has the final say when story is concerned. If a Pirate Riding Dinosaur appears in the fiction, it's because the story team allowed it and therefore the ones that are responsible.

19 minutes ago, Zesu Shadaban said:

I guess I don't understand how role cards are restricting anything.

It depends on how you think about, I suppose, but if you consider the deck building rules given in the rulebook to allow you an option to choose from 10 roles, but the tournament rules to oblige you to use only one, and perhaps one that you may not want to use, that (the tournament rules, not the specific role) is restricting. 

Roles also preclude you from using "role only" cards that don't match your role (which so far we only two of those exist), which is a further restriction. But for this point the problem is not the restriction as much as it is the inability to make that choice yourself.

Edited by Suzume Tomonori

14 minutes ago, Shosuro Teri said:

Oh the problem isn't in the announcement, its in the implementation. Ultimately, I would assume the story team has the final say when story is concerned. If a Pirate Riding Dinosaur appears in the fiction, it's because the story team allowed it and therefore the ones that are responsible.

Oh you misunderstood. I meant the marketing team would announce changes, deaths, and probably dinosaurs without consulting the story team first. 

The result is a writing team having to change plans and stories to accommodate rewards made by people who are not talking to the writing team. 

EDIT

If you don't think this could happen you need to read more Delbert. 

Edited by Devin-the-Poet

I think the way to look at it is as a boon to your deck.  You either get 3 extra influence, or an extra province of type X if you want it - Yay!

It's just deck building rules.  If we want to complain about these rules then we should complain just as much about only being able to include 3 of one card in your deck, or being limited to 40-45 cards per deck.  The fact that the best player in your clan chooses what that slight rule change happens to be feels pretty irrelevant to me.  In pretty much any event it is a good thing because it will give you more flexibility in your construction, and more fate based on the gameplay. 

That's all to say that I'm excited for the role cards! And I think they'll more flavor to the environment.

If you read the article posted above regarding the Role Cards it clearly states that the role selected for a clan is exclusive to that clan for the year, meaning they are the only clan that can use that 1 role while the other 6 clans cannot.  Ultimately, it means that each clan only has 4 roles to choose from, since 6 of the ten will be exclusive to the other 6 clans, but they will have a role that none of the other clans have access to.

6 minutes ago, NeonWolf said:

If you read the article posted above regarding the Role Cards it clearly states that the role selected for a clan is exclusive to that clan for the year, meaning they are the only clan that can use that 1 role while the other 6 clans cannot.  Ultimately, it means that each clan only has 4 roles to choose from, since 6 of the ten will be exclusive to the other 6 clans, but they will have a role that none of the other clans have access to.

Or, you know, there's this...

For Organized Play events, there is an important additional rule: the mandatory inclusion of a clan's current Keeper or Seeker role, as determined at the Winter Court World Championship each year.

While they're leaving it a mystery what they'll do with the unclaimed roles (for now), this seems to pretty clearly state that, at least in the only setting that Role Cards are officially used (Organized Play) you are required to use the specific Role Card chosen for your clan.