Sign in to follow this  
Kakita Shiro

Rules Reference Available

26 minutes ago, Eye of Night said:

Can you Charge! your Clan Champion into a battle if you already have a copy there? The rules seem to be contradictory on this point:

"Unique Cards

A card with the ? symbol in front of its title is a unique card. Each player may only have a maximum of one instance of each unique card, by title, in play.

A player cannot take control of or bring into play a unique card if he or she already controls or owns an in-play copy of that card."

"Play and Put into Play

Playing a character or attachment card involves paying the card’s fate cost and placing the card in the play area. This causes the card to enter play. Cards are played from a player’s hand or provinces. Any time a character card is played, its controller has the option of placing additional fate from his or her fate pool on the card.

Some card abilities put cards into play. This bypasses the need to pay the card’s cost, as well as the opportunity to place additional fate on the card. A card that is put into play bypasses any restrictions or prohibitions regarding the potential of playing that card. A card that is put into play enters play in its controller’s play area."

I would say no. The rules on unique cards does specifically point out putting into play as something you can't do. Interestingly, the rule also covers cards like Blackmail, you cannot blackmail my Toruri onto your field if you have a Toturi of your own.

26 minutes ago, Eye of Night said:

Can you Charge! your Clan Champion into a battle if you already have a copy there? The rules seem to be contradictory on this point:

"Unique Cards

A card with the ? symbol in front of its title is a unique card. Each player may only have a maximum of one instance of each unique card, by title, in play.

A player cannot take control of or bring into play a unique card if he or she already controls or owns an in-play copy of that card."

"Play and Put into Play

Playing a character or attachment card involves paying the card’s fate cost and placing the card in the play area. This causes the card to enter play. Cards are played from a player’s hand or provinces. Any time a character card is played, its controller has the option of placing additional fate from his or her fate pool on the card.

Some card abilities put cards into play. This bypasses the need to pay the card’s cost, as well as the opportunity to place additional fate on the card. A card that is put into play bypasses any restrictions or prohibitions regarding the potential of playing that card. A card that is put into play enters play in its controller’s play area."

I would say no. The rules on unique cards does specifically point out putting into play as something you can't do. Interestingly, the rule also covers cards like Blackmail, you cannot blackmail my Toruri onto your field if you have a Toturi of your own.

I've got a question regarding the Sacrifice mechanic.

The rules reference says the following (page 14):

When a player is instructed to sacrifice a card, that player must select a card in play that he or she controls and that matches the requirements of the sacrifice, and place it in his or her discard pile.

◊  If the selected card does not leave play, the sacrifice is not considered to have been made.

◊  Sacrificing a card does not satisfy other means (such as “discard”) of a card leaving play. 

Now the Crab have various cards that say "When a character you control leaves play, trigger effect x...". 

As far as I understood, those effects would trigger for a sacrifice. If a card said "When a character is discarded, trigger...", however, it would not trigger for a sacrifice. Correct? 

Edited by ichaos1985

10 minutes ago, ichaos1985 said:

I've got a question regarding the Sacrifice mechanic.

The rules reference says the following (page 14):

Now the Crab have various cards that say "When a character you control leaves play, trigger effect x...". 

As far as I understood, those effects would trigger for a sacrifice. If a card said "When a character is discarded, trigger...", however, it would not trigger for a sacrifice. Correct? 

Correct!

Sacrificed characters have obviously left play, but they have not been discarded.

12 minutes ago, Gaffa said:

Correct!

Sacrificed characters have obviously left play, but they have not been discarded.

Thank you. A friend of mine was convinced that sacrificing a character prevented all other "character leaves play" effects.

I've got another question, I haven't really found the answer so far.

Let's say I'm at one family honour. Now I've got one dishonourable and one honourable personality that both leave play. What is the consequence? Will I lose one honour for the dishonourable personality and instantly lose the game? Or are all losses and gains calculated first to one total value that is then either subtracted or added?  Or is it similar to magic, where every step is put onto some kind of stack and then resolved one after another, triggering consequences and thus maybe the end of the game?

Thanks!