Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hol Coronet

Toning it down for a new player

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I'm going to be coaching a new guy into the game a bit and helping him build up his deck some. He got the Rey starter deck and he's played it against a Kylo starter a few times. He is very active in M:TG and he says he's got the basics of the rules down pat. I'm going to give him a bunch of cards to fill out his deck, but I don't have a ton of extras like Luke's Lightsaber or Force Speed or anything of that nature. I'll give him a bunch of good Blue commons and uncommons as well as a few rares like Journals of Ben Kenobi, Lightsaber, Makashi Training and some others.

Now, when it comes to my deck I'm going to play my Phasma/ Guavian/ Deathtrooper deck because it feels a bit disjointed and I haven't used it. I want to give him a decent run, but I'm also conscious of the fact that he's new and he's running Finn. I'm trying to get the deck to a point where it's decent but won't steamroll him. Any tips for that? Should I swap out the Deathtrooper for a FO Trooper to even things up a bit?

honestly if all he has is awakenings stuff, plus the few rares and uncommons you have thrown at him, my recommendation is pretend like its Awakenings all over again, and just that sets cards, maybe a few commons from Spirit, but making a deck around just awakenings would be a little harder and result in a little bit more of a fair match up I think.

I'm not sure I have a good feeling about the evenness of that game... the character dice are really imbalanced, and Phasma decks can put out way more damage inherently, plus Guardian is built in dice control (effectively neutralizes Rey's modifier sides), plus the deck has a ton of health. Shitching the Deathtrooper for a FO Trooper might actually increase the discrepancy, because elite Phasma can put out so much damage.

Maybe try a slower, more experimental deck, like IG-88/FN-2199 or Greivous/Bala? 

I always like seeing new players! Kudos for helping this guy out! Interestingly, Destiny seems pretty easy to learn after playing MTG - maybe the physics are somewhat similar? I don't know, because I've only played Magic once or twice.

19 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

I'm not sure I have a good feeling about the evenness of that game... the character dice are really imbalanced, and Phasma decks can put out way more damage inherently, plus Guardian is built in dice control (effectively neutralizes Rey's modifier sides), plus the deck has a ton of health. Shitching the Deathtrooper for a FO Trooper might actually increase the discrepancy, because elite Phasma can put out so much damage.

Maybe try a slower, more experimental deck, like IG-88/FN-2199 or Greivous/Bala? 

I always like seeing new players! Kudos for helping this guy out! Interestingly, Destiny seems pretty easy to learn after playing MTG - maybe the physics are somewhat similar? I don't know, because I've only played Magic once or twice.

Hmmm, that might be an idea. I wasn't going to replace the DT with FO and elite Phasma, especially since I only have one Phasma die. I was going to do a straight swap so I'm at 27 points to their 28. He'd have an extra die as well, so I think it might be more even despite Phasma being pretty good.

I think my only weapons upgrades will be F-11 and maybe an Ascension Gun or 2. I had DH-17 and Jet Pack in but they might be too good for such a limited game.

25 minutes ago, Hol Coronet said:

Hmmm, that might be an idea. I wasn't going to replace the DT with FO and elite Phasma, especially since I only have one Phasma die. I was going to do a straight swap so I'm at 27 points to their 28. He'd have an extra die as well, so I think it might be more even despite Phasma being pretty good.

I think my only weapons upgrades will be F-11 and maybe an Ascension Gun or 2. I had DH-17 and Jet Pack in but they might be too good for such a limited game.

Oh, ok! That works too. I have also found that the second Phasma die is practically impossible to find! That might be pretty well balanced.

From experience, I also find 3x Tusken Raider is a good matchup for eRey/eFinn (it's also an easier deck for your opponent to understand what's going on with your cards and deck).

Posted (edited)

Come on dont use PhasmaGuardians on him :P Seriously you wanna throw deck that won Worlds agains a guy with a starter? :D Build something funny - dunno Royal/Stormtrooper/eBala, if you have experience and more synergized cards you have upperhand anyway.

Edited by Vitalis

50 minutes ago, Vitalis said:

Come on dont use PhasmaGuardians on him :P Seriously you wanna throw deck that won Worlds agains a guy with a starter? :D Build something funny - dunno Royal/Stormtrooper/eBala, if you have experience and more synergized cards you have upperhand anyway.

It won worlds? Didn't know that, I thought it would have been a bit janky with just 1 Phasma die...

Anyway, I've built another deck based on suggestions made. Keep in mind that I've given him a bunch of cards such as 2x Deflect, 2x Guard, Journals of Ben Kenobi, a second Lightsaber and I'm going to lend him my second Finn die for our game. It won't be this against a bare bones starter.

Battlefield: 

Secret Facility

Characters: 

1x General Grievous

1x Nightsister

1x First Order Stormtrooper

Upgrades: 

2x F-11D Rifle

1x First Order TIE Fighter

1x Force Throw

1x Lightsaber

1x Lightsaber Pike

2x Wingman

Support:

2x Attrition

2x Power of the Dark Side

Events:

2x Aim

2x All In

2x Battle Formation

2x Doubt

2x Feel Your Anger

1x Flank

2x Now You Will Die

2x Probe

2x Squad Tactics

1x The Best Defence

On 8/4/2017 at 3:07 PM, Hol Coronet said:

It won worlds? Didn't know that, I thought it would have been a bit janky with just 1 Phasma die...

Anyway, I've built another deck based on suggestions made. Keep in mind that I've given him a bunch of cards such as 2x Deflect, 2x Guard, Journals of Ben Kenobi, a second Lightsaber and I'm going to lend him my second Finn die for our game. It won't be this against a bare bones starter.

Battlefield: 

Secret Facility

Characters: 

1x General Grievous

1x Nightsister

1x First Order Stormtrooper

Upgrades: 

2x F-11D Rifle

1x First Order TIE Fighter

1x Force Throw

1x Lightsaber

1x Lightsaber Pike

2x Wingman

Support:

2x Attrition

2x Power of the Dark Side

Events:

2x Aim

2x All In

2x Battle Formation

2x Doubt

2x Feel Your Anger

1x Flank

2x Now You Will Die

2x Probe

2x Squad Tactics

1x The Best Defence

Ah i misread you - ePhasma/Guavian/Stormtrooper won the worlds.

Deck looks rather solid for a starters deck. Somehow low on dice upgrades, but otherwise not bad.

I'm new to Star Wars Destiny and picked up some packs about a week ago. This actually gives me a ton of good advice on putting a deck together. Thanks! Will plan to swing by the store to pick up a few more packs tomorrow, can't wait. I can only seem to find the Awakenings boosters, so I'm not quite sure how to get some of the cards from I guess earlier sets? Also, have you guys seen folks do local trading or did I miss the boat? Wish I had learned about this game sooner. I love how they make the dice. Blows away dice masters..

There's still plenty of newer players trading stuff locally where I am, but unless you live in Colorado, I can't necessarily speak for your local scene! Stock for this game was weirdly distributed in the first two waves, so not all communities are growing (in a lot of places, new players can't find any stock and quickly turn away from the game).

Awakenings is in fact the first set! The second set, Spirit of Rebellion, is actually the easier one to find online, so just buy up all the Awakenings you want locally and then check out one of the online sellers. These guys are my favorite:

https://teamcovenant.com/product/spirit-of-rebellion-booster-box-display-36-packs

Thank you Kieransi! That is strange that I did get cards/dice for the first set. Makes me happy :)  I'm in New York and still looking for some players to play with. Also checked out the link you provided, this is good stuff! I'll post in the trade thread soon with my lists.

Kieransi likes this