Sign in to follow this  
Sulfurious

Concerns for the GenCon tournament

So it's starting to look like we're not going to get an OP announcement or FAQ before the tournament on Friday the 18th. This means a couple of things.

• It's very possible that Latari Elves could be playable since they'll likely be out days before the tournament. Without an OP ruling, I'm guessing there's no limit to how long a product has to be out before it's tournament legal.  
  • Some players may show up with lists that may or may not be legal.  The question about which upgrades can be chosen when you include units from other armies still hasn't been clarified. 
  • Not that it really matters but it would be kind of nice to know what the format is going to be like. I'm assuming that players will be choosing terrain and objectives per the normal rules? Players just agree on whose deck to use? I don't even know how many games will be played and what the time limits will be. The only thing I do know is that the top four will have to be available on Saturday for the elimination rounds. 

Has anyone played in a tournament at FFG headquarters yet? I'm wondering if there's been some rulings used there that the rest of us might not be aware of. 

Edited by Sulfurious

For what it's worth, the rules for upgrades on out-of-faction units are unambiguously tied to ARMY faction, not unit faction. They might decide to change that with errata, but for the moment it's clear in the rules.

Organized Play documents are well overdue though, and the sooner the better, but it's plausible they'll just issue something the day of. 

9 minutes ago, Bhelliom said:

For what it's worth, the rules for upgrades on out-of-faction units are unambiguously tied to ARMY faction, not unit faction. They might decide to change that with errata, but for the moment it's clear in the rules.

I agree. That's the way I understand it to be played.  I'd just hate for someone with a different understanding to show up with a list written as otherwise and be out of luck. 

Yeah, it's really strange to me that we still don't have OP rules while they're already making OP announcements for the Five Rings game.  I'm especially curious to see how they handle the terrain, scenarios, and objectives given that people can own different stuff.

Edited by Willange

33 minutes ago, Hepitude said:

What if they announce that all the tournament players share an enormous table and fight to the death in a massive free-for-all?

What if they just slash their prices by 50%?  Who knows?

On 8/2/2017 at 1:26 PM, Sulfurious said:

So it's starting to look like we're not going to get an OP announcement or FAQ before the tournament on Friday the 18th. This means a couple of things.

• It's very possible that Latari Elves could be playable since they'll likely be out days before the tournament. Without an OP ruling, I'm guessing there's no limit to how long a product has to be out before it's tournament legal.  
  • Some players may show up with lists that may or may not be legal.  The question about which upgrades can be chosen when you include units from other armies still hasn't been clarified. 
  • Not that it really matters but it would be kind of nice to know what the format is going to be like. I'm assuming that players will be choosing terrain and objectives per the normal rules? Players just agree on whose deck to use? I don't even know how many games will be played and what the time limits will be. The only thing I do know is that the top four will have to be available on Saturday for the elimination rounds. 

Has anyone played in a tournament at FFG headquarters yet? I'm wondering if there's been some rulings used there that the rest of us might not be aware of. 

So we've had several events at FFG in Roseville. I'm the guy that has been running them thus far. You might be thinking o, since there are organized play events at FFG that certainly means we up here have deeper knowledge about this or that or what have you.

Sorry to burst your bubble. Nope we don't.

There will be OP stuff eventually. With Gencon *I* sure thought they'd have put the tournament materials out by now, especially since all the expansion boxes for the two core set armies are out. 

So ... we wait. I know it's hard. It'll be out ... it will ... really.... honest.

What do you mean with little demand? here in Spain we have not received yet any tournament kit, opening, escalade or T3. As soon as them arrive we would like to have FAQ's and tournament rules! there are a lot of situations to clarify!

18 minutes ago, Hijodecain said:

What do you mean with little demand? here in Spain we have not received yet any tournament kit, opening, escalade or T3. As soon as them arrive we would like to have FAQ's and tournament rules! there are a lot of situations to clarify!

I don't know if that is better or worse than getting all the event kits and still not having tournament rules.

Yea, this was good.  Glad they got it out before the first big tournament.  Didn't see anything about a waiting period though for tournament viability. So I'll give props to anyone that shows up to the tournament with Latari Elves.  And I'll buy them a six pack if it's painted. :)

12 minutes ago, Sulfurious said:

Yea, this was good.  Glad they got it out before the first big tournament.  Didn't see anything about a waiting period though for tournament viability. So I'll give props to anyone that shows up to the tournament with Latari Elves.  And I'll buy them a six pack if it's painted. :)

It's on page 7. In North America, for Relaxed and Formal events, expansions are legal upon release in North America, but there must be 11 days between release and Premier events. So if I remember correctly, for Store Championships or lower, you can use anything that has had its release article posted to FFG's website (typically on Thursdays), while for Regionals and higher, you need to have 11 days between the release article and the tournament in order to use the newest expansions.

Outside of North America, you have to consult the TO.

7 minutes ago, Sulfurious said:

Ah, missed it. So I'm guessing GenCon is a "premier" event?

They usually have national tournaments at GenCon, but this appears to be just a regular tournament, so I would guess it would be Relaxed. I'm not sure, though.

Also, I made a mistake in the levels. Relaxed = Store Championship. Formal = Regional. Premier = National/World Championship.

On 5/8/2017 at 7:24 PM, rowdyoctopus said:

I don't know if that is better or worse than getting all the event kits and still not having tournament rules.

Now we have tournament rules. Till now I've done my own scoring table and tournament rules. But I can't solve the prizes that a kit introduce.