Sign in to follow this  
Mu0n729

TC Open tournament on Vassal, signups until August 20th

Looks interesting, but I think I'd get killed running a jousting list.

Kfighters will be amazing, and rebel junkyard gets even better with 3 point Biggs discount.

None of my ships got a buff so it would be rough going.

I ran Guri and 3 ps5 kirahxz all with Attani Mindlink and got obliterated in all 2 games I was able to play during Swiss (one of the 3 was a win due to a no-show). Granted, the dice went cold at the worst time for one of those, but jousting isn't auto-win in this format. There are so many different things to consider due to the warped points that I don't think anyone can really predict the auto-win lists or what people will go after. This is what makes it fun and fresh, in my opinion.

The vassal league offseason during this summer had more subdued points changes, but it was such a breath of fresh air, I highly recommend it.

10 minutes ago, Mu0n729 said:

I ran Guri and 3 ps5 kirahxz all with Attani Mindlink and got obliterated in all 2 games I was able to play during Swiss (one of the 3 was a win due to a no-show). Granted, the dice went cold at the worst time for one of those, but jousting isn't auto-win in this format. There are so many different things to consider due to the warped points that I don't think anyone can really predict the auto-win lists or what people will go after. This is what makes it fun and fresh, in my opinion.

The vassal league offseason during this summer had more subdued points changes, but it was such a breath of fresh air, I highly recommend it.

On the other hand, -3 points on a kihraxz AND the vaksai title is a lot.  You coul dhave 5 marauders with cruise missiles, chips, failsafe and another point to spend between the third mod and the illicit slot.  Or 5 with PRS and ion dischargers, with a point to spend between the other 2 mods and the illicit (and the auto-include tracers).

Or you coul dhave 5 black sun aces with tracres, chips, munitions failsafe, slicer tools or dampeners, and a 1 point EPT to taste (crackshot on all of em?  Fearlessness, DTF to pass around crit damage to whoever has shields, VI to get up to PS7)

I'm thinking the flat point reductions on a chassis basis doesnt really do much to make additional pilots good, it just means Corran and Biggs fit in more lists, and Omega Leader is slightly cheaper. Supercharging Vaskai might be an issue, with both deadeye-salvage missile boats and PRS/Ion Discharger dogfighters.

Doesnt MJ have a list of point modifications for pilots he suggests?

1 hour ago, Kdubb said:

Ya, think this is an easy pass with Biggs 3 points discounted and kfighters discounted beyond the vaksai title.

Beating Biggs on Vassal is easier though. More time to wait for the right moves. No 75 minute rush to kill a ship. Yay no time limits and playing to completion rather than waiting out the clock!

5 minutes ago, phild0 said:

Beating Biggs on Vassal is easier though. More time to wait for the right moves. No 75 minute rush to kill a ship. Yay no time limits and playing to completion rather than waiting out the clock!

Or you could do the 19 round limit. :P

15 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Interesting to see the tournament's introduction being used to basically soapbox/whine about the as yet unconfirmed leaked FAQ.  Kind of off-putting, really.

Agreed.  Especially:

The leaked nerf to Jumpmaster is one that I cannot (and will not) respect....For this tournament (and probably all future TC OPENS as well), we will use the original Jumpmaster upgrade bar and title text

I get that the TC open regularly makes balance changes, but straight up ignoring erratas the devs make (assuming the FAQ releases as leaked)...

Personally, I don't see how removing some upgrade slots is any more convoluted or confusing than changing the dial.  Upgrades you ony have to worry about during listbuilding (and most people use a list builder anyway, which will handle that for you.  Youc an't accidentally equip extra upgrades if the builder removes the options, and adding slots is just as easy in a builder with the new title).  The dial you use every single round throughout every game you play, so having even just the difficulty of a maneuver change is something you have to constantly remember (even more so for people who have been playing them since they released, so are well used to the white sloop being white).

I'd far rather see the change in the leaked FAQ than change the dial.  I also disagree that simply making the left sloop red would "fix" the ship.  And making mindlink small ship only will never happen

1 hour ago, Rakaydos said:

Doesnt MJ have a list of point modifications for pilots he suggests?

It's still in progress, and includes a revamp of the upgrade cards as well. But the ETA is at least another month before I'm done all the pilots and ready for beta, more likely two. It takes a while to get it done in my spare time, but considering the game has 248 pilots and has been in development for ~6 years with typically two developers working on it the whole time, if I can rebalance it in 3-6 man-weeks of my time that's not a bad timetable.

Current progress bar (IG88's will be done tonight):

Ships done (as of July 28):

Imperials

• TIE Fighter
  • TIE Advanced
  • TIE Interceptor
  • Inquisitor's TIE
  • TIE/fo

Rebels

• X-wing
  • Rebel Y-wing
  • B-wing
  • Z-95

Scum

• Scum Y-wing
  • Z-95
  • Protectorate

Ships remaining:

• Imperial Firespray
  • TIE bomber
  • Lambda Shuttle
  • TIE Defender
  • TIE Phantom
  • VT-49
  • TIE Punisher
  • TIE/sf
  • TIE Striker
  • Upsilon Shuttle
  • TIE Aggressor
  • A-wing
  • YT-1300
  • Rebel HWK-290
  • E-wing
  • YT-2400
  • K-wing
  • T-70 X-wing
  • VCX-100 Ghost
  • Sabine's TIE
  • Auzituck Gunship
  • Scum HWK-290
  • Scum Firespray
  • Starviper
  • M3-A Scyk
  • IG-2000
  • YV-666
  • Kihraxz
  • Jumpmaster 5000
  • Mist Hunter
  • Shadow Caster
  • Quadjumper
  • Scurrg Bomber

2 hours ago, VanderLegion said:

Agreed.  Especially:

I get that the TC open regularly makes balance changes, but straight up ignoring erratas the devs make (assuming the FAQ releases as leaked)...

Personally, I don't see how removing some upgrade slots is any more convoluted or confusing than changing the dial.  Upgrades you ony have to worry about during listbuilding (and most people use a list builder anyway, which will handle that for you.  Youc an't accidentally equip extra upgrades if the builder removes the options, and adding slots is just as easy in a builder with the new title).  The dial you use every single round throughout every game you play, so having even just the difficulty of a maneuver change is something you have to constantly remember (even more so for people who have been playing them since they released, so are well used to the white sloop being white).

I'd far rather see the change in the leaked FAQ than change the dial.  I also disagree that simply making the left sloop red would "fix" the ship.  And making mindlink small ship only will never happen

Theorist has always had this sort of "only I truly understand xwing and the true values of its components" mentality. It has always irked me quiet a bit, but I'm not the one getting consistent, repeat participants for vassal tournaments, so I have little room to talk.

8 hours ago, mdl0114 said:

3pt cost savings on Biggs, but Punishers are fine and don't need any help... Plus, have to fight through the terrible TC website, think a hard pass is the way to go here.

Yeah, this does seem to have some rebel bias (as others have brought up), other ships need some fixing 

-3 for the Punisher (maybe a -1 for the bomber)

-1 for the tie advanced

-1 for upsilon? 

-1 for Agressor? People complain it isn't interesting...

The Scum faction actually seems to be in a decent place (and for some reason the Khiraxz needed even more power despite the vaksai which brings it to about par in terms of modern power level IMO) 

1 hour ago, Quadjumper King said:

Yeah, this does seem to have some rebel bias (as others have brought up), other ships need some fixing 

-1 for the tie advanced

-1 for upsilon? 

The Scum faction actually seems to be in a decent place (and for some reason the Khiraxz needed even more power despite the vaksai which brings it to about par in terms of modern power level IMO) 

Still no love for the Bwing?

7 hours ago, Quadjumper King said:

-1 for the tie advanced

-1 for upsilon? 

Yeah, i decided to opt out when the organiser said Biggs + Lowrisk was a paper tiger. He also failed to realize that -3 pts cost might not make Biggs stronger, but adding those 3pts of upgrades to a squad thats already top meta makes no sense at all.

The same guy said he was not discounting the Punisher because he won 1 match with a triple Punisher build... 

2 hours ago, Thormind said:

Yeah, i decided to opt out when the organiser said Biggs + Lowrisk was a paper tiger. He also failed to realize that -3 pts cost might not make Biggs stronger, but adding those 3pts of upgrades to a squad thats already top meta makes no sense at all.

The same guy said he was not discounting the Punisher because he won 1 match with a triple Punisher build... 

But you should have seen that one match! It had all the data points you could ever need to know it was fine as is! Biggs and OL on the other hand...