Jasontl

[GenCon]What are people's plans for Labrynth of Lunacy characters?

I just looked at the event listing again and I see no investigator build rules.  Are people planning on bringing stock beginner decks with upgrade options in mind?

Are we all bringing Agnes? :D

Well, I assume standalone mode. In any case, I'll take all the cards I might want to include in my deck, including upgrades. Also, I plan on playing Mark if I can get my hands on Path to Carcosa, Roland or Zoey otherwise.

From the registration email you should have gotten:

Players should use the rules for Standalone Mode (Rules Reference, page 19) when constructing decks for this scenario. Players are advised to bring multiple investigator decks to this event so as to avoid conflicts with other players.

I'm bringing several to fill in any slots needed.  Right now I've built Daisy, Jenny, Jim, and Mark Harrigan for my wife and I.  I'll probably add a Zoey and Rex just for full coverage.

Oh snap. Reading IS fundamental. I apparently stopped reading too soon. 

I have Agnes and Zoey built right now. Probably deconstructing them and maybe trying a Jim build finally. 

I plan on bringing my binder of investigator cards and making the deck on the spot.  The card pool is still small enough to make this realistic. 

43 minutes ago, C2K said:

I plan on bringing my binder of investigator cards and making the deck on the spot.  The card pool is still small enough to make this realistic. 

Yeah, not a bad idea.

8 hours ago, C2K said:

Up to you, but as someone else who's going to be there I'd much rather you have a deck or two ready to go :)  There are going to be 12 people in each game, making them wait while you build a deck doesn't seem kind.

3 hours ago, Buhallin said:

Up to you, but as someone else who's going to be there I'd much rather you have a deck or two ready to go :)  There are going to be 12 people in each game, making them wait while you build a deck doesn't seem kind.

Depends. Registration begins at 9, but the game doesn't start until 10 so as long as they get people matched up quickly, you have plenty of time to build.

17 minutes ago, Doma0997 said:

Depends. Registration begins at 9, but the game doesn't start until 10 so as long as they get people matched up quickly, you have plenty of time to build.

That's assuming everyone shows up that hour early to sit around.

<shrug>  Again, up to individual choice, but I'd hate to be twiddling my thumbs through game time while people build a deck.

9 hours ago, Buhallin said:

Its not too difficult to build a standalone deck for the current investigator pool.  It would be a little challenging with some of the Path to Carcosa investigators, but the core set and Dunwich Legacy Investigators are pretty cut and dry. 

6 hours ago, Doma0997 said:

I'd hate to bring a deck and not be able to be matched up easily and spend an hour looking for a group not using my investigator. 

I think it's pretty optimistic to think that everyone will be there when registration starts so that groups are set and you have the full hour to build around that.  It's more likely that groups will start forming at the 15-minute-before cutoff, and you'll have about 2 minutes to build a deck even if they're not running late.

That's why I said "or two".  If you own the game at all, you can support two different decks, and it should be easy to find a group that can fit one or the other.  Or you build without having the groups together, so why didn't you prebuild anyway?

On 8/1/2017 at 0:37 PM, Buhallin said:

The event description says 6-12 player groups with 36 players per time slot.  I really hope we don't end up with 12 players per table.  That seems like an insane amount of downtime between turns and a nightmare to try and adjudicate.  It would be impossible to avoid overlapping investigators at that point as well unless they are expecting players to have access to Carcosa by game time (which I suppose is likely since it will probably be available at the con).

That being said I will be showing up with Roland, Rex, and Jenny pre-built.  Based on what I'm seeing in this thread I think I'll build a Mystic or Survivor too just for a little bit more variety.

11 minutes ago, Pankurucha said:

The event description says 6-12 player groups with 36 players per time slot.  I really hope we don't end up with 12 players per table.  That seems like an insane amount of downtime between turns and a nightmare to try and adjudicate.  It would be impossible to avoid overlapping investigators at that point as well unless they are expecting players to have access to Carcosa by game time (which I suppose is likely since it will probably be available at the con).

General assumption is that it will follow the pattern used for last year's Siege of Anuminas LOTR scenario.  There will be 3 groups of 4 people, which will interact with each other at specific points in time, typically round boundaries.  Each group will be an independent game area, so uniqueness, etc will only apply within your own game.  Groups have to finish rounds together, so there's a bit of waiting if one group is especially fast or slow but you won't be taking your turn and waiting for 11 other players to finish.

As an example from that one, there was an enemy who would arrive at Game 3, and then each round move closer to the gates so end of round he'd move to group 2, then to group 1, then do something bad.

6 minutes ago, Buhallin said:

General assumption is that it will follow the pattern used for last year's Siege of Anuminas LOTR scenario.  There will be 3 groups of 4 people, which will interact with each other at specific points in time, typically round boundaries.  Each group will be an independent game area, so uniqueness, etc will only apply within your own game.  Groups have to finish rounds together, so there's a bit of waiting if one group is especially fast or slow but you won't be taking your turn and waiting for 11 other players to finish.

As an example from that one, there was an enemy who would arrive at Game 3, and then each round move closer to the gates so end of round he'd move to group 2, then to group 1, then do something bad.

That makes a lot more sense than what I had in mind.  I would have played either way but three different groups with 2-4 players each is very manageable.  I'm even more excited now than I was before.:)

When I first started reading this thread I was so excited and jealous of people going to do this. 

By the end of it I was crazy stressed out and overwhelmed. I can't imagine trying to sit and play this with 6-12 people. That just isn't the atmosphere where this game shines for me.

Is this a scenario we can get outside the convention?

I can't believe only 36 spots for this event. Well, I'm just going to hope someone doesn't make it or suffers some horrific demise before the event. (There's gotta be a Rex Murphy out there)

15 minutes ago, Doma0997 said:

You're better off on saturday and sunday where they doubled the seats.

I only saw the event on Thursday. Are the other days just not listed on the Gencon site?

23 hours ago, Forger said:

I can't believe only 36 spots for this event. Well, I'm just going to hope someone doesn't make it or suffers some horrific demise before the event. (There's gotta be a Rex Murphy out there)

You hear a dry, bemused chuckle. You look up and see a tall Egyptian man standing where you could swear nobody was a moment ago. He claims that he can arrange exactly what you're asking for: All he needs is your signature...