Sign in to follow this  
Trudem

Is this the go to Dengar/Nym list?

Nym - VI, autoblaster turret, bomblet generator, Havoc, Genius and Accuracy Corrector

Dengar - Expertise, Extra Munitions, Cad Bane, Unhinged, Title, Countermeasures and Cluster Mines

Edited by Trudem

Tried with no coutermeasures for init bid. Didnt work very well. Dengar wants target in his forward arc, whereas the mines are in rear and takes an action. Too much conflict. better with k4 and keeping targets in arc.

Cad bane failed me utterly grrr, 8 rerolls and only 1 hit.

17 minutes ago, ArbitraryNerd said:

I don't think Cad Bane is a necessary component of the list, so you'll see some varieties without that stick to a more standard Dengar build.

I think Cad Bane is pretty valuable to this.  I ran it with Bossk instead of Dengar and was definitely missing him every time Bossk went down.  Putting him on Dengar will help his longevity.  Personally I think the extra munitions aren't needed (and may not be allowed much longer).  Also with the new bot in the Scurrg pack you can red-sloop and drop.  I went proximity for the size and becuase Cad only works once per round.

I ran mine with one cruise on Nym for the opening punch before getting into "automatic 2 damage" range.

Edited by Rolotamasi

57 minutes ago, Rolotamasi said:

I think Cad Bane is pretty valuable to this.  I ran it with Bossk instead of Dengar and was definitely missing him every time Bossk went down.  Putting him on Dengar will help his longevity.  Personally I think the extra munitions aren't needed (and may not be allowed much longer).  Also with the new bot in the Scurrg pack you can red-sloop and drop.  I went proximity for the size and becuase Cad only works once per round.

I ran mine with one cruise on Nym for the opening punch before getting into "automatic 2 damage" range.

Valuable =/= necessary.

Of course his ability is baller. There are other viable builds for Dengar, though. Cad is no Sabine, so I don't think he's remotely auto-include yet.

5 hours ago, Cerve said:

The Dengar/Nym doesn't run Cadbane.

Is that due to points or playstyle?  I would think those two points would be nice to help the effectiveness of infinite bombs, especially bombs that don't hurt the one laying them.

1 hour ago, Rolotamasi said:

Is that due to points or playstyle?  I would think those two points would be nice to help the effectiveness of infinite bombs, especially bombs that don't hurt the one laying them.

For what I saw, the matter is Nym doesn't need too much of CadBane (sometimes he never run Bomblet Gen.), but most of all you need super Dengar, and so you need the crew slot for him. 

A complete builted Dengar is way better than CadBane itself.

49 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

I'd far rather just use dengar/tel's version of dengar because locally seems we got so many **** unbombable ships (turrets)

plus the combined cruise + plasma alpha is stupid strong and k4 frees dengar up for defensive actions that greatlyincrease his longevity 

Meta-wing has two top squads for Dengar/Nym (http://meta-wing.com/ship_combos/2877?ranking_start=2017-07-13&

The one that won the bigger SC has EM/Plasma on Dengar.  My (possibly controversial) thought is if the new FAQ is to be believed this is not an option.  That leaves the second one:

Captain Nym (Scum) (30)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Extra Munitions (2)
Cruise Missiles (3)
Bomblet Generator (3)
Advanced Sensors (3)
"Genius" (0)
Guidance Chips (0)
Havoc (0)

Dengar (33)
Expertise (4)
K4 Security Droid (3)
Unhinged Astromech (1)
Scavenger Crane (2)
Countermeasures (3)
Punishing One (12)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Is this what you all would recommend?  Personally I would prefer the autoblaster/accuracy corrector on Nym for aces, but I guess my play style is different.  Maybe that's why I don't win much.

22 hours ago, Rolotamasi said:

Personally I think the extra munitions aren't needed (and may not be allowed much longer). 

With the leacked FAQ, the title would just remove 1 torp slot. He would still have another torp slot if he wants to do extra ammo + bomb.

I feel like the big challenge with Nym is getting close enough to start wrecking with the bombs.  That's why the alpha strike version with torps on Dengar and Cruise Missiles on Nym works so well -  you can land at range 2 or 3 and evaporate something with ordinance so you don't take as much damage on approach.  With the coming FAQ supposedly removing Dengar's torps your alpha strike becomes weaker and Nym is probably gonna get chewed up pretty badly before he gets into range for his bombs. 

1 hour ago, Thormind said:

With the leacked FAQ, the title would just remove 1 torp slot. He would still have another torp slot if he wants to do extra ammo + bomb.

According to the leak all Jumps lose 1, the title takes the second one off.

Edited by Rolotamasi

2 hours ago, Rolotamasi said:

According to the leak all Jumps lose 1, the title takes the second one off.

Wow i missed that.  Im all for changes on the jumpmaster but isnt leaving them with only 1 torp and no illicit a bit extreme? I mean after they use that 1 torp all they have to do dmg is a 2 dice PWT?

13 hours ago, Thormind said:

Wow i missed that.  Im all for changes on the jumpmaster but isnt leaving them with only 1 torp and no illicit a bit extreme? I mean after they use that 1 torp all they have to do dmg is a 2 dice PWT?

Because it's still far and away the best blocker in the game, and a 2 die PWT on a large base blocker is usually rippling 3 dice anyway. 

I used this to get top 4 at a Store Champs recently (around 24 players):

Nym, ABT, EM, Concussion missiles, Bomblets, Havoc, Genius (42)

Contracted Scout, adaptability, R4-E1, EM, Cluster mines, Cad Bane (34)

Jakku Gunrunner, Cikatro Vizago, Cloaking Device, Tractor Array, Pattern Analyser, Proximity mines (24)

I hadn't used the list before the tourney, so was happy with top 4.

My take from that was; I like Nym with missiles. But if your opponent wants him dead, there's not that much you could do about it, so don't spend tons of points on him. If I was re-jiggling points around I'd think about a system slot maybe instead of his EM.

The scout was fun for bombing runs, but when Nym went down, I was relying on his 2 dice pwt a bit much to claw back games. I don't see how you'd get much in the way of great bomb placement with Dengar at ps9. I'd recommend a much lower ps JM for the bombing load out, but for Dengar/Nym I'd just stick with what Dengar is good at.

IMO Cad Bane isn't such a boon for Nym (and I wouldn't expect that Dengar would get much value from his bomb) that it's worth filling Dengar's really useful crew slot with.

I'd start with maybe a Nym similar to the one I've posted above (with consideration to maybe FCS, Adv Sensors or maybe engine upgrade to change things up) and the 58pt Dengar from J. Phua's world champs list [Expertise, EM, Plasma, K4, Unhinged, GC] and see how that goes.

2 hours ago, Biophysical said:

Because it's still far and away the best blocker in the game, and a 2 die PWT on a large base blocker is usually rippling 3 dice anyway. 

Like i said, i 100% agree that the JMKs (and some othe scum ship as well) need a change. But the suggested nerf would render 3x scouts uncompetitive. Great way to upset the many players who bought 3 of them.

Im an imperial player and im really upset about how they handled the Palp nerf. It was way too strong. There are ways to balance something without making it almost useless. For the JMKs all thats really needed is a 3 pts cost increase. Just that would be enough. Much less complicated than what they are suggesting.