gilbur

DRAGONSTAR GENESYS

Don't get me wrong, I have full intentions of fleshing all this out once I have Realms of Terrinoth because between that and the Star Wars books, there should be plenty of source material to mash the two things together. I just have a sneaking suspicion that most of what I would do would be done better in Realms, so patience is the name of the game for Dragonstar currently.

It's missing a few of the books, but there's some PDFs available on DriveThruRPG. One of them is Galactic Races which holds the Pevishan which has always been one of my favorite d20 races as far as mixing of flavor and crunch went. They will definitely be making an appearance in my conversions.

There is two forum conversions i have started that have variety of stuff for dragonstar. One is about the race mainly from the starfarer's handbook and then a short batch from galactic races and the other forum conversion is talking everything else. I unfortunately have decided to take a short hiatus as i was getting burned out as i was waiting for other books for this conversion. I will be watching to see of others help make this come true, as i was a big fan of dragonstar and very disappointed when ffg stopped creation of the system.

After a short hiatus and looking into possibly another gaming system(Savage Worlds checking out anyway). I have decided to stick with Genesys and will be looking to get this back up and possibly completed as I will be (hopefully) concentrating on this conversion. I look forward to others giving me feedback on anything dealing with Dragonstar and actually since Terrinoth will be released tomorrow more ideas for for the conversion....

Actually i was hoping to make this a community project since at that time i was running a star wars game and could not fully commit to this project but now since i am in a 1st edition d&d dealing with the temple of elemental evil. I should be able to focus on this conversion. I still would like others input as i work on different projects though.

Give me this weekend to get my head back into edge/genesys system since it was kind of wrapped up in the savage worlds for a couple of weeks since my favorite system was finally released for another system. 

Alright, for all those that are new here when I had started, it was just going to be one forum topic but over time it turned out to be two different topics.

The starting was talking about the races in Dragonstar which is this forum but then I started to talk about everything else that is talked about in Dragonstar so another forum topic was started //community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/256024-dragonstar-genesys-2-magic/?page=3.

Dragonstar conversion:

Races --- Done (maybe updating later after I go over Realms of Terrinoth)

Spellware---Started (Not complete)

Equipment--- Not started yet (but mostly bringing over stuff from Star Wars, Will have to work on Magic supported equipment)

Weapons and Armor--- Not started yet (especially the Magical Weapons and Armor, but stuff from Star Wars will Work great in this conversion as well.)

Magic and Psionics--- has been started, not complete was toying around with another system, need to look at Realms of Terrrinoth to decide)

Vehicles and ships--- porting over from the Edge system most likely)

So if you can think of anything else you think I might need to look over let me know...

Alright here we go: I am a very big fan of the Edge's specialization for the classes and have put together all the original classes and 6 specializations and even the new classes in the Starfarer's Handbook, So here is the Barbarian and Bard classes and their Specializations for you to look over and give me feedback on.

Barbarian: Athletics, Brawl, Coercion, Melee (Heavy), Perception, Resilience, Survival, Vigilance

Wayfinder: Discipline, Melee (Light), Skullduggery, Stealth

Medicine Man: Alchemy, Cool, Knowledge, Medicine

Brushrunner:  Cool, Melee (light), Stealth, Survival

Battlerager:  Deception, Gunnery, Melee (Heavy), Vigilance

Berserker:  Athletics, Brawl, Ranged (Light), Riding

Vindicator:  Cool, Discipline, Knowledge, Primal

Bard:  Charm, Deception, Knowledge, Leadership, Melee (Light), Skullduggery, Streetwise, Verse

Corsair:  Astrocartography, Coercion, Perception, Piloting

Gallant:  Athletics, Discipline, Ranged (light), Resilience

House Trader:  Coercion, Mechanics, Negotiations, Perception

Loremaster:  Charm, Cool, Knowledge, Streetwise

Jester:  Brawl, Charm, Deception, Vigilance

Arcanist:  Arcana, Cool, Discipline, Leadersip

So here goes the first two classes, let me know what you think or would change, these are not set in stone, just thought out classes and their specializations.

Here is the next two classes and their specializations:

Cleric:  Charm, Cool, Discipline, Divine, Knowledge, Leadership, Medicine, Melee (Light)

Unification Missionary:  Coercion, Deception, Leadership, Ranged (Light)

Healer:  Alchemy, Knowledge, Medicine, Resilience

Sage:  Charm, Computers, Negotiations, Perception

Inquisitor:  Coercion, Perception, Ranged (Light), Streetwise

Crusader:  Brawl, Discipline, Melee (Heavy), Riding

Runesmith:  Mechanics, Negotiations, Rune, Streetwise

Druid:  Athletics, Brawl, Medicine, Melee (Light), Primal, Resilience, Survival, Vigilance

Ecoterrorist:  Charm, Coercion, Skulduggery, Stealth

Hunter:  Coordination, Ranged (Heavy), Stealth, Vigilance

Pathfinder:  Medicine, Ranged (Light), Resilience, Survival

Beastfriend: Charm, Medicine, Melee (Light), Riding

Hermit:  Charm, Computers, Knowledge, Negotiations

Avenger:  Cool, Deception, Ranged (Light), Survival

I can see alot of questioning about skills being placed several times, so let me know what you think of these classes and specializations.

I have decided to for go a Genesys version of Dragonstar and since there are others that have helped start a Dragonstar version for Genesys. I am more familiar with the Edge and do plan on making Dragonstar for Edge instead. You will be able to follow in the coming weeks under "Edge of a Dragonstar" topic. It will be basicly some of the same stuff already posted here and I do give others like Foghorn (since he did help with some of the write up) permission to use my stuff under the Genesys system.

8 hours ago, gilbur said:

I have decided to for go a Genesys version of Dragonstar and since there are others that have helped start a Dragonstar version for Genesys. I am more familiar with the Edge and do plan on making Dragonstar for Edge instead. You will be able to follow in the coming weeks under "Edge of a Dragonstar" topic. It will be basicly some of the same stuff already posted here and I do give others like Foghorn (since he did help with some of the write up) permission to use my stuff under the Genesys system.

Except for (space) magic, there is no real difference between the two except Genesys tells you how to create things. If you are avoiding Genesys, then you are 100% winging it with EotE/AoR/FaD with zero guidance. If you are trying to do a straight conversion of all things Dragonstar, that's where the challenge will come from, not Genesys or EotE.

Edited by lyinggod

Yes, I know they are for the most part the same system. There is differences though, like instead of open ended magic like in Genesys, you have spells that are powers and you have the force die/points, instead of just one class you get into, there is your class and specialization that characters can get into. I understand there is quite a bit of similiarities, but I myself love the Edge/Age/Force system alot more over the open system of Genesys. I have been running a Star Wars game for the past couple of years.

It does not matter which system I am Converting Dragonstar to, it will be 100% winging it anyway.

1 hour ago, gilbur said:

Yes, I know they are for the most part the same system. There is differences though, like instead of open ended magic like in Genesys, you have spells that are powers and you have the force die/points, instead of just one class you get into, there is your class and specialization that characters can get into. I understand there is quite a bit of similiarities, but I myself love the Edge/Age/Force system alot more over the open system of Genesys. I have been running a Star Wars game for the past couple of years.

It does not matter which system I am Converting Dragonstar to, it will be 100% winging it anyway.

So I assume you'll be posting it in the Edge of the Empire forums? Since it's not Genesys and as such doesn't belong here. Please post a link here when you're up in the other forums.

48 minutes ago, CitizenKeen said:

So I assume you'll be posting it in the Edge of the Empire forums? Since it's not Genesys and as such doesn't belong here. Please post a link here when you're up in the other forums.

I will, unless others start to do their own version. I do know that Foghorn was waiting for Realms of Terrinoth to do a conversion.

Just in case anyone was still watching this thread, I am still working on it, albeit slowly. Thought I'd attach one of my nuggets that helped make me excited to work on a setting for Genesys. Psionics was always something that seemed like it wanted a place, but didn't belong in the Dragonstar setting, but I really like how easily it plugs in like this. I still need a psionic exclusive action for Curses, since I think each magic skill should have a unique ability for each action it can have, but I'd welcome any feedback people have for this.

Re: the 'alternate secondary skill' that was something that recently started bouncing around in my head and was wondering if anyone else had considered something similar.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vPkxdDNfI77n1M5Wa5v6aD-d_IAB7LBU/view?usp=sharing

Going to start my conversion back up, since  helping out others on their conversion and giving me additional ideas. Going to look back over my races and classes and even going to start up my own forum in the Settings Forum.

I also want to adapt the DragonStar setting to Genesys. I took inspiration of the Dragon Hybrids in Realms of Terrinoth and came up with this for the Half-Dragons. 

Half-Dragon Brawn 3 / Agility 1 / Intel 2 / Cunning 2 / Will 2 / Pres 2

Starting XP: 90     Strain 9 / Wounds 12

Inspired by the Dragon hybrids from the Realms of Terrinoth setting book (p.151)

Draconic Heritage : Choose one draconic bloodline: Black, Blue, Brass, Bronze, Copper, Gold, Green, Red, Silver, or White. This will determine some aspect of the abilities described below.

• Scaly hide: +2 to Soak.

• Claws: Damage (Brawn+1) / Range: Engaged / Skill: Brawl / Critical 3

• Elemental resistance: Reduce damage from one of the 4 elements associated with your bloodline, no matter the source, by three (-3).

• Breath Weapon: Base damage (Resilience + Willpower) / Range: Short / Skill: Ranged /

Prepare 1 / Slow Firing 2 / Linked characteristic: Willpower

Add 1 of the following qualities to the Breath Weapon for free, as per the draconic bloodline:

Fire:    Burn X     Brass, Gold or Red

Ice:    Ensnare X     Silver or White

Lightning:    Stun X + Auto-Fire (+ required)    Blue or Bronze

Acid If it deals damage, target must make a Resilience check or else  suffer X Strain and Wounds.      Black, Copper or Green

Draconic Talents: all of them require one to be a Half-Dragon of course.

Deadly Talons: Tier 2 / Passive / Ranked: No / Your claws now have the Vicious 1 quality.

Deadly Talons, Improved: Tier 4 / Passive / Ranked: No / Your claws now have the Vicious 2 quality.

Enhanced Breath Weapon: Tier 2 / Passive / Ranked: Yes / When you select this talent chose one of the following qualities: Blast, Deadly, Impact or Range. You may now apply this quality to your breath weapon attack, but it costs 1 strain (per quality if applying more than one). These qualities work in the same way as the qualities for the Attack magical action in Genesys.

Destructive Breath Weapon: Tier 4 / Passive / Ranked: No / Your breath weapon now has Pierce X and Sunder qualities, and Prepare is now 2 and Strain 2, when you use to apply this Talent to it.

Empowered Breath Weapon: Tier 4 / Passive / Ranked: No / Your breath weapon now does damage (Resilience + (Willpower x2)) , and Prepare is now 2 and Strain 2, when you use to apply this Talent to it. If it has Blast, all within Short range are affected.

Master of my Breath: Tier 5 / Passive / Ranked: No / Reduce Prepare by 1, and Strain by 3 (to a minimum of 1.

As per Genesys core, claws are 5XP. But I agree that I may have underestimated the other two, Scaly hide, Elemental Resistance. So I may increase them to 10XP each. The Breathe weapon I had already set to 10XP. 

Which would reduce the starting XP to 80. 

Posted (edited)

The +2 wounds with brawn 3 is generally regarded as a 10xp cost as well. Then the +2 soak with brawn 3 is simply frightening, for $50 and 40xp the character can start the game with soak 7, effectively invulnerable to many attacks. So that should be a 15xp cost as well.

Imho the character should have an absolute maximum of 70xp to start

Edited by Richardbuxton