Sign in to follow this  
Johen Dood

Arc Caster - An Answer to Jank?

You want to know how to reign in the dominance of Rebel Jankyard and similar Biggs/Lowhrick/Rex lists?

Give Imperials access to the Arc Caster. Seriously.

Vessery with TIE/D, Arc Caster+Ruthlessness could and would be a serious threat to these types of lists. And even though he wouldn't be great against other lists, he's still TIE/D Vessery- he can still pull his weight! Plus there's some neat strategies for synergy with other ships- notably Quickdraw. Imagine Expertise/ArcCaster Vessery and QD fly into range 1 of a target. QD fires his attack as normal, getting a TL from FCS. Next, Vessery Fires fully modded Arc Caster, hits, and puts the splash damage onto QD- triggering his pilot ability attack, full mods. Then Vessery follows up with his primary, full mods. In total, that's 16 red dice, 12 fully modded (assuming QD has Expertise too). I'm not saying it would be top shelf, but **** it would be fun- and you'd have to fly aggressive. Plus the Arc already has a balance feature in it- the fact that it has to recharge, so it's not like you could do this 2 turns in a row.

Combine that with the fact that the Arc Caster was designed and built by the Empire (see SW: Battlefront), and I think it gives a viable option to counter lists like this. If only the Devs could get over their irrational hatred of Imps, we might be able to balance this game!

STOP THE DISCRIMINATION AGAINST THE IMPERIAL FACTION! FREE THE ARC CASTER!

It makes no sense to restrict a secondary weapon from a faction. I demand in turn a 3 point imperial cannon. 

Range 1-3

3 attack

Attack: target lock

You may turn a result to a hit result

Can do full damage (synergy with tie d) 

I totally agree with you Johen Dood, but it seems the Empire is too powerful so they need to be nerfed by FFG and not the Rebel Resistance like Luke/Leia/Han and so on as you see in the movies.

When I seen the Arc Caster at first thought about the Tie/D for Maarek Stele but then seen Rebel scum and Scummy scum scum scum only - gits

Edited by Torg

It is just range one, this isn't even anywhere near as good as Tractor and Ion TIE/ds for Jankyard wrecking purposes. You can use Ruthlessness to target Jankyard, probably. 2 TIE/ds have a very good chance of using it 3 times (since most mitigation in that list outside of the Wookie-evade doesn't technicaly stop the hits from happening) to splat Rex before he gets to act at all. While also damaging Biggs and applying a controll effect or two to him.

2 minutes ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

It is just range one, this isn't even anywhere near as good as Tractor and Ion TIE/ds for Jankyard wrecking purposes. You can use Ruthlessness to target Jankyard, probably. 2 TIE/ds have a very good chance of using it 3 times (since most mitigation in that list outside of the Wookie-evade doesn't technicaly stop the hits from happening) to splat Rex before he gets to act at all. While also damaging Biggs and applying a controll effect or two to him.

Only main advantage being you deal 4 red dice to the original defender- more raw damage output than ion or tractor. But I agree both those are good choices too. I just like the aggressive style Arc Caster could inspire for Imps- plus cool synergies like the one I talked about with QD.

Eh...arc caster seems kinda awful with its r1 and dual card limitations AND being a worse ruthless because you can hurt yourself with it 

Who cares if you can't take it?

Aruthless tlt gressor or tie/D with any other cannon  (FLECHETTE COSTS THE SAME) seems far superior 

Edited by ficklegreendice

I'm looking for a way to fit assault missiles in without gimping the list for other matchups. "You like spreading damage? Here let me help you with that!"

Edited by Ralgon

17 hours ago, Johen Dood said:

Hey, I gave it a whooping 15 seconds of thought and therefore I know better than the devs if it would be OK to give card x to faction y!

imperial Arc Caster would be broken beyond belief. Vessery would be able to realistically two-shot a Decimator. let me repeat. TWO-SHOT A DECIMATOR.

Do you enjoy Fenn Rau procketing you several times in a game? Because what you're asking for is a higher damage r1 nuke that can be put on multiple ships.

Edited by Elavion

12 minutes ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

No he wouldn't, the Decimator with EU is way faster and has no reason to fly at him.

frog_bump.jpg

It's really not that hard to trap a decimator with three agile ships, especially if you're ok with only one of them firing.

Anyway, you focused on the example and missed the point. That thing would be beyond riddiculous. A 41 point ship that can match the average damage output of two torpboats by himself. Without even spending an action on offense!

Edited by Elavion

Just now, Elavion said:

frog_bump.jpg

It's really not that hard to trap a decimator with three agile ships, especially if you're ok with only one of them firing.

Anyway, you kinda missed the point. That thing would be beyond riddiculous. A 41 point ship that can match the average damage output of two torpboats by himself.

Only at range one and with less than stellar durability, though. Vessery can easily be killed in two rounds by most Decimator lists, before he gets to shoot a second time.

2 hours ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

No he wouldn't, the Decimator with EU is way faster and has no reason to fly at him.

also the whole weapon's disabled thing

and potential self damage

EDIT: Now if there's one upgrade you should care about, it's pulsed ray shield

Like come on, throw the gressor a ******* bone 

Edited by ficklegreendice

7 hours ago, Elavion said:

imperial Arc Caster would be broken beyond belief. Vessery would be able to realistically two-shot a Decimator. let me repeat. TWO-SHOT A DECIMATOR.

Do you enjoy Fenn Rau procketing you several times in a game? Because what you're asking for is a higher damage r1 nuke that can be put on multiple ships.

Don't quote me and edit it, please. I'm pretty sure you're just trolling because your response is just flat out the most ignorant thing I've heard all week, and shows minimal, if any, insight or understanding of the game. But here goes anyway. And seriously, don't quote me and edit the post- that's just rude.

Anyway. No, he could not realistically 2 shot a Deci. First, Deci has 16 HP total. With your first volley you could get 8 total red dice- and if you took both Expertise AND someone provided a TL, you could get them fully modded. 8 damage, best case scenario, only at R1. Not guaranteed, but possible. Now Arc Caster goes on recharge- Vessery can't do that 8 dice attack again unless he spends a turn Weapons disabled. That's a whole turn where Vessery does nothing. Huh, that's almost like taking two turns to do two, 4 dice attacks? Gee really? OMG amazing! Wow yeah you're right that's totally better than multiple 5 dice prockets, or 5 dice Cruise missiles, or Fenn Rau! OH WAIT NO IT'S NOT.

Your response highlights what is wrong with this community- uninformed diarrhea from the brain- disguised as an informed opinion. It's amazing, really, how little you could be bothered to check your own math and logic before you vomited up a bowl full of ignorant crap onto the forums.

Many Opinions Really Offer Nothing.

They carefully and expressley designed the TIE/D to have special effects and a bonus damage, but were very careful to restrict the ability to get straight-up full-damage double-tap firepower.

It's why they don't get to enjoy the double-tap effect on missiles, for instance - Prockets would have been too much, apparently... and they wouldn't be able to be reloaded like the ARC caster.