Epicgamingnight

Gencon Runewars Announcements?

4 hours ago, flightmaster101 said:

I think in the competing for people limited dollars they will buy a star wars game over a runewars game.  I fear the slightest similarity will drive them away from runewars.

I'm not sure you will find that this holds true.  I've been involved in the 40k scene now for 25 years and have sometimes dipped my toe into Warhammer Fantasy.  My observations from playing tournies in both systems is that the majority of the payer base for both of those games rarely cross over.

Some people like fantasy some people like scifi.

What I have seen is that when GW players went looking for a second gaming system they often moved to a different company, such as PP with war machine.  Oddly I have seen that fantasy players are more likely to play multiple systems and 40k players tend to be solo system type people. 

A broad generalization yes, but fairly consistent in my experience. 

On 8/14/2017 at 5:39 PM, OzKillswitch said:

I see Waiqar the Undying as a man that was twisted by his torcher, into a man obsessed with protecting his realm  and saw the orb as they way to do it when he was denied that he saw that as a betrayal. Of cause I don't know the full background written in the other Runebound games.

Especially if you read the write up by the Scrivener on Waiqar in the Lorebook.

Waiqar was one of the greatest heroes of the First Darkness. When it looked like all hope was lost, he and some volunteers braved **** to try to assassinate Llovar. He was captured and tortured of course, but Timmoran having to try to rescue him is what set up the final battle between the two that ended with Llovar's death.

After his rescue, he marched once again and beat back the Uthuk at every turn. He chased them through the wastelands once more and tried to genocide them all to keep them from returning some day (which we see now he was right in fearing.)

To do all that, and then in the end have his master not entrust the future to him but to try to give his power away to everyone else, to the lessers, to those who didn't suffer and earn it like he did, was probably a great affront.

According to the Scrivener as well, when he went to air his complaint to Timmoran, the old wizard didn't just meekly await him but struck first against his armies, killing the brave men and woman who had gone to **** and back with him. 

Now, in our third person omniscient position we know that is likely a lie, but that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of people in his forces that believe it. Who knows, even he may have convinced himself by now of the righteousness of his position.

The Uthuk though are pretty irredeemable, but some people like playing a faction that is just black on black.

13 minutes ago, Waywardpaladin said:

The Uthuk though are pretty irredeemable, but some people like playing a faction that is just black on black.

Personally I don't get too caught up in the this army is good, and I want to be good, or this army may have been cheated and that is why they're evil. I'm more of the this army seems to be awesome with the way the play and the tactics you could use. I know I'm probably in the rare group who pays less attention to the lore (Though don't get me wrong, super interested when I get to read new information; I just don't let the story dictate my play as much) and I pay more attention to the gameplay.

Also, I feel like this Gen Con announcement post has veered quite far off track. I'm still hoping someone keeps updating with the announcements that are announced though.

I'd be okay with a SW ground game if they finally gave us the Latari for BattleLore. Not interested in another SW game, though. That is, I'm not interested in another competitive Star Wars game. I'd like to see more stand-alone games like Rebellion and Empire vs. Rebellion.

17 hours ago, Ywingscum said:

Tomorrow 11 est

I'm practically counting down the hours! I'm so excited to hear what they say about Runewars, especially Malaana. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to follow along today since I'm in the middle of moving into my new house. Can't wait to see the discussion tonight!

Just now, Aurelus said:

Even a hint would have been nice...

Well, they did say there was a ton of miniatures lined up in the pipeline and they can't wait to flesh out the four factions. I'm assuming they will announce new stuff later?

It's normally the In Flight report, which is currently on, that they announce the new things such as this GoT Catan at the moment. I'm still hopeful for some Runewars announcements but as they've already showcased the game I don't know if we will. :(

Just now, Hawktel said:

When talking about Star Wars Legion the new 40K style game in Starwars they spoke alot about Runewars miniatures as its not going to be like Runewars miniatures.

True, it's more of a traditional war game. However most gamers have a limited budget and space for miniatures, they'll likely opt for one or the other.

6 minutes ago, Muz333 said:

True, it's more of a traditional war game.

During the Q&A he estimated 34mm miniatures. I will eagerly watch the demo, but I don't see how they can include large vehicles at that scale. So much for Battle of Hoth: The Miniatures Game.

Just now, Contrapulator said:

During the Q&A he estimated 34mm miniatures. I will eagerly watch the demo, but I don't see how they can include large vehicles at that scale. So much for Battle of Hoth: The Miniatures Game.

I was waiting for the Runewars announcements to finalise what two factions to buy in and it was really disappointing to have nothing announced. It's a predicament as I'm sure my friends would much rather play a Star Wars game with me so now I don't know whether to go for Runewars or just wait it out for Star Wars (although the thought of painting more stormtroopers kills me!).