Epicgamingnight

Gencon Runewars Announcements?

1 hour ago, kaffis said:

The rumors don't suggest to me that the Star Wars game would be rank and file. Think the difference between Warhammer Fantasy Battles and Warhammer 40k.

If that's the case, Rune Wars is positioned as the maneuvering game (which is its strong point, IMO), and this Star Wars thing would probably be more of a mixed arms vehicle game that moves less rigidly and doesn't use command dials, and relies more on unit composition and target selection for its choices, in the same way that skirmish miniature wargames usually do.

Do you think it cares to FFG? this is a huge machine of making money. In any FFG game you need cards, or things (dials or whatever) that you will not have if you re-use miniatures from any other game. I hope to be mistaken since I have all the expansions published in IA, but I don't trust that any skirmish game will rehuse any already published material.

On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 5:32 PM, Govrek said:

This.  This being my first game played in Terinoth, I've not delved into the lore before.  The bit of lore  that comes in each of the expansions is nice, but I want more.  The icing on the cake would be if they managed to make each faction's morality a bit grey.  I have always appreciated world building that makes for no clear good guy.  The two games I have played the most, Chronopia and Warhammer 40k, did this very well.  Guildball  even does a heck of a job with it.  From what I have seen thus far, the Daqan and Latari are the good guys, and the U'thuk and Waiqar forces are evil. 

I would not count on seeing grey morality for whole factions. Diskwars and Runewars (boardgame) had clearly-defined good and evil factions. In Diskwars, the color of the disk border told you the alignment and you could mix factions within an alignment, bug not between alignments (except Tamar, which were evil humans).

You may see morally grey heroes, but the factions have a strong alignment to either good or evil. FFG could change this, of course, but for fans of Terrinoth, it would feel forced and unnatural; a betrayal of the core values of the Runebound universe.

8 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

I would not count on seeing grey morality for whole factions. Diskwars and Runewars (boardgame) had clearly-defined good and evil factions. In Diskwars, the color of the disk border told you the alignment and you could mix factions within an alignment, bug not between alignments (except Tamar, which were evil humans).

You may see morally grey heroes, but the factions have a strong alignment to either good or evil. FFG could change this, of course, but for fans of Terrinoth, it would feel forced and unnatural; a betrayal of the core values of the Runebound universe.

You are going into great detail about why 99% of fantasy is boring, and it is sadly rooted in fan expectations.

The SW thing is troubling, but I am going nowhere, especially not for star wars, meh.

Edited by Darthain

1 minute ago, Darthain said:

You are going into great detail about why 99% of fantasy is boring, and it is sadly rooted in fan expectations.

The SW thing is troubling, but I am going nowhere, especially not for star wars, meh.

Our whole world is a jumbled mess of morally grey choices. A big part of fantasy's draw is the escapism where you don't worry about right and wrong.

That being said, I think you could get interesting scenarios and interactions where there's no right choice, while still keeping the factions' alignments.

Right now we have a grand total of 2 players in my city that I am aware of... myself and my buddy I split starter boxes with.  We came to this game via Xwing and Armada.  Most (all)  of the tabletop gamers we know are heavy into Xwing and Armada.  We are trying to pick up new RuneWars players that play Xwing and Armada.  We have a few guys on the fence, Legion (if it exists) is going to totally screw any chance of grabbing new players.

25 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

Our whole world is a jumbled mess of morally grey choices. A big part of fantasy's draw is the escapism where you don't worry about right and wrong.

That being said, I think you could get interesting scenarios and interactions where there's no right choice, while still keeping the factions' alignments.

Doesn't work well as escapism when you are sardonic though.  Too flat, you can't even mock it properly as it is in and of itself a bit of a joke.

Tragedy is where it is at. The darker the better.

28 minutes ago, Aurelus said:

Right now we have a grand total of 2 players in my city that I am aware of... myself and my buddy I split starter boxes with.  We came to this game via Xwing and Armada.  Most (all)  of the tabletop gamers we know are heavy into Xwing and Armada.  We are trying to pick up new RuneWars players that play Xwing and Armada.  We have a few guys on the fence, Legion (if it exists) is going to totally screw any chance of grabbing new players.

I don't expect it to be that clean cut. A lot of folks into Armada and X-Wing won't want a free-movement skirmish style system. Rune Wars had the templates and initiative to offer them, I don't expect a Star Wars skirmish game to use simultaneous action selection movement and the like.

We'll see if Legion at GenCon if it is indeed a thing and just what the release timing of it might be. Remember RW took a long time to actually come out.

Knowing me I'll sure as heck be playing both presuming Legion doesn't have some critical game play flaw. OTOH I think the overall question we are drawn to how does this affect RW is not the right one.

Basically I think we're looking at a looming battle between 40k vs Legion. That's the comparison to watch. Really I think 40K is the one to be under more pressure than RW. A large format battle set in the star wars universe just isn't going to be rank and file like RW is. Another way to look at it is, the rank and file war gamers tend to different backgrounds like Napoleonics, SYW or Battlesystem, DB*, whatever. It's  different ilk. Few that I know of ever played 40K or have a remote interest in it. Two different universes.

Likewise in the sci-fi space there are only so many large format battle rule systems and 40K has ruled that area for awhile. Legion could totally mix that up and draw in those just interested in the star wars universe.

Will RW keep and grow attention from the pool of gamers? That test to me really starts this fall as far as what happens with the locals. Numbers up/down. 

Regardless, I have to hand it to Fantasy Flight, they aren't the least bit shy about going after new game systems and new worlds. More fun for all of us!

If it's real, I'd pass on a star wars 'Legion'.  The reason is simply that I already own most of the stuff for Xwing, Armada, IA, AND the Star Wars LCG.  I don't really need more Star Wars fix and especially not in the minis game format.  

You know what star wars game I would buy though?  Star Wars Battlelore.  I'd buy the crap out of that and it would probably sell like hotcakes too given that it's star wars.  If you had some aerial unit system akin to what was in Memoir '44 and so forth.... oh man that would be good.  Heck if they don't announce that, I'll probably just make my own mod for it haha!

So when it comes to painting a legion of star wars units -- how likely are people to diverge from what the units 'should' look like?  Runewars affords you the ability to paint your guys any which way you want, because the lore is pretty generic and not well defined.  Won't every stormtrooper legion be painted white, all the ATATs grey?  

Does an unpainted SW miniatures game promote individual style?

Edited by Glucose98

5 minutes ago, Glucose98 said:

So when it comes to painting a legion of star wars units -- how likely are people to diverge from what the units 'should' look like?  Runewars affords you the ability to paint your guys any which way you want, because the lore is pretty generic and not well defined.  Won't every stormtrooper legion be painted white, all the ATATs grey?  

People paint their Xwing, Armada, and IA minis in all kinds of different ways.  I'd imagine you'd see the most variety in the vehicles, but people would diverge all over the place.

7 minutes ago, Glucose98 said:

Have you seen my Armada ships?

Just now, Willange said:

People paint their Xwing, Armada, and IA minis in all kinds of different ways.  I'd imagine you'd see the most variety in the vehicles, but people would diverge all over the place.

Sure, but contrast it to 40k.  Almost every army is unique there. 

Just now, Glucose98 said:

Yep.  I'm not saying people don't -- I'm asking if the game promotes it.  Compare it to 40k or Runewars.

That's fair, I'd say scale will play a huge factor. If they are reasonable sized, you will definitely have divergence, but the canon crowd will always do their thing and be more prominent.  Making mirror matches ****.

13 minutes ago, Darthain said:

That's fair, I'd say scale will play a huge factor. If they are reasonable sized, you will definitely have divergence, but the canon crowd will always do their thing and be more prominent.  Making mirror matches ****.

Yeah that's sort of what I'm getting at.  Imagine Armada came unpainted.  How many fleets would have been painted to canon? The vast majority I imagine?

Honestly, I'm not that interested in a mass army Star Wars game. IA works really well for me because it has those smaller, skirmish style battles with thematic objectives that can be similar to the movies. Yes, large scale battles have played out in the movies, but they generally have had other elements - like the end of ROTJ where you have Luke vs Vader, Rebels vs Stormtroopers, and Rebels vs Deathstar II all happening at the same time. I think a mass army game would lose something here. 

In the PT era we have seen Jedi leading Clone Troopers into battle, so that might work, but FFG isn't really promoting the PT so much, outside of Destiny. 

And again, SW would crush RW. 

10 hours ago, ssspikeee said:

Don't you think that the SW game, if happens, looks more like WH40K rather than WHFB? It should not compete with Runewars...

I think in the competing for people limited dollars they will buy a star wars game over a runewars game.  I fear the slightest similarity will drive them away from runewars.

Edit: Now that I think of it, if i have a hobby game (painting, modeling, etc) that is going to be my primary game.  Runewars put a hard stop to me finishing my imperial assault paints, and if SWL came along as the same game with hobby model It may lead me(some) to have grey mundane RW models on the table (if some keep up at all).

Edited by flightmaster101

6 minutes ago, flightmaster101 said:

I think in the competing for people limited dollars they will buy a star wars game over a runewars game.  I fear the slightest similarity will drive them away from runewars.

Edit: Now that I think of it, if i have a hobby game (painting, modeling, etc) that is going to be my primary game.  Runewars put a hard stop to me finishing my imperial assault paints, and if SWL came along as the same game with hobby model It may lead me(some) to have grey mundane RW models on the table (if some keep up at all).

For me personally, it's the opposite. I already own X-wing, Armada and Rebellion, and I'm at the saturation point on Star Wars miniatures. It kept me from getting into IA and I'll balk at this new game too unless the gameplay and models are really spectacular.

19 minutes ago, flightmaster101 said:

Now that I think of it, if i have a hobby game (painting, modeling, etc) that is going to be my primary game.  Runewars put a hard stop to me finishing my imperial assault paints, and if SWL came along as the same game with hobby model It may lead me(some) to have grey mundane RW models on the table (if some keep up at all).

Yup, I'm the exact same even down to the hard stop painting the IA figures.

12 minutes ago, Contrapulator said:

For me personally, it's the opposite. I already own X-wing, Armada and Rebellion, and I'm at the saturation point on Star Wars miniatures. It kept me from getting into IA and I'll balk at this new game too unless the gameplay and models are really spectacular.

Dont get me wrong, having miniatures is awesome.  Having a lot of miniatures that need to be painted is less so becasue of the time consuming nature.  I have X-wing and Armada as well, but they dont need to be painted.