Epicgamingnight

Gencon Runewars Announcements?

I would love to see the Barrow Wyrm (Waiqar)  as I had the undead dragon when I had an undead army for warhammer.  It was one of the only Dragons I liked from that world, just hated the snaggle toothed Asian cross euro dragons they had going...

Undead dragon.jpg

9 hours ago, Waywardpaladin said:

With them taking a break from Shadowrun, I wonder if they'll have the opportunity after Battletech to do Crimson Skies. It certainly lends itself to a "table top combat, man on the ground roleplaying" system.

My biggest outstanding regret about the closure of FASA was that it happened before they got around to writing campaign rules for Crimson Skies.

2 hours ago, Muz333 said:

Oh, I hope there's a big lorebook filled with pictures and colour schemes!

Yes this so much yes!!! Its been a long time since I have gotten into a setting, I mean I play Warmachine but I am not really into steam punk much. This has got me wanting to know more!

2 hours ago, Muz333 said:

Oh, I hope there's a big lorebook filled with pictures and colour schemes!

This.  This being my first game played in Terinoth, I've not delved into the lore before.  The bit of lore that comes in each of the expansions is nice, but I want more.  The icing on the cake would be if they managed to make each faction's morality a bit grey.  I have always appreciated world building that makes for no clear good guy.  The two games I have played the most, Chronopia and Warhammer 40k, did this very well.  Guildball  even does a heck of a job with it.  From what I have seen thus far, the Daqan and Latari are the good guys, and the U'thuk and Waiqar forces are evil.  Give us a reason to sympathize with Waiqar.  Was he truly betrayed?  Perhaps he knows of some greater threat that he was willing to sacrifice his eternal soul to protect the world against.  Show us that the U'thuk have a noble spirit that remains unbroken by their demonic dabblings.  What fate did they try and stave off with their blood pact?  What atrocities have the Daqan and Latari commuted in the defense of their realms?

I see Waiqar the Undying as a man that was twisted by his torcher, into a man obsessed with protecting his realm  and saw the orb as they way to do it when he was denied that he saw that as a betrayal. Of cause I don't know the full background written in the other Runebound games.

Edited by OzKillswitch

2 hours ago, Aurelus said:

Rumours starting up about a star wars ground combat game... Unpainted, some assembly required... Hope not... It will pull a lot of attention away from RW before it gets any traction.

I would not be surprised, I think we could smell this one coming... (not necessarily that early though)

Edited by Xargonaut

3 hours ago, Aurelus said:

Rumours starting up about a star wars ground combat game... Unpainted, some assembly required... Hope not... It will pull a lot of attention away from RW before it gets any traction.

Is this what you're referring to? (Star Wars: Legion)

1 hour ago, flightmaster101 said:

Why would they do this so soon after Runewars?  Really hope this doesn't kill Runewars.

Don't you think that the SW game, if happens, looks more like WH40K rather than WHFB? It should not compete with Runewars...

I'm no Star Wars expert, but wouldn't such a game be quite weird with the Runewars system due to lack of melee units in Star wars? Wouldn't a primarily laser rifle battle game boil down to best cover and range superiority? Little need for flanking or flight-path movement if only a few jedi's are using it, and perhaps even hard to motivate to have initiative on the dials if everyone's just pressing a trigger/button? In RW I think all ranged attacks except Kari's are initiative 5 for example.

All in all I can't see that the overlap would be nearly as significant as with ASOIAF for example.

Edited by Maktorius

6 hours ago, taylorcowbell said:

I really hope this is not true. Also not sure exactly what rank and file units there really were in GCW era... Either way, this could be stepping on alot of their other games toes

The rumors don't suggest to me that the Star Wars game would be rank and file. Think the difference between Warhammer Fantasy Battles and Warhammer 40k.

If that's the case, Rune Wars is positioned as the maneuvering game (which is its strong point, IMO), and this Star Wars thing would probably be more of a mixed arms vehicle game that moves less rigidly and doesn't use command dials, and relies more on unit composition and target selection for its choices, in the same way that skirmish miniature wargames usually do.

Edited by kaffis