Crit Happens

Playtesting, Leaks, Outrage, and the #HumbleBrag

26 minutes ago, codegnave said:

Are playtesters allowed to participate in events? That would be silly, every company putting on contests forbids employees and their family from participating.

Yes. Playtesters are volunteers, with no real compensation. Prevent playtester from competing, and you pretty much eliminate all the valuable playtesters. 

Though, the designers are allowed to participate in the smaller events. Just not the premiere competitive events. 

5 minutes ago, Sithborg said:

Yes. Playtesters are volunteers, with no real compensation. Prevent playtester from competing, and you pretty much eliminate all the valuable playtesters. 

Though, the designers are allowed to participate in the smaller events. Just not the premiere competitive events. 

Huh, I think that is rather silly. Oh well!

If playtesters - who do this for free, and presumably for the love of the game - aren't allowed to compete, you will stop getting competitive players bothering to playtest because they'd rather compete.

Given I understand the vague prerequisites for playtester invitations tend towards "Win a US regional event or equivalently prestigious event, and/or be in the circle of people from where such players reside"... these people aren't likely to sign up if they get forbidden from having a crack at championships in future years.

On 7/28/2017 at 5:23 PM, Velvetelvis said:

That's the differentiator right there.

I don't want to sound like I'm eating the guys cheese but biophysical participates in the forum. Like...as in...actually participates in it.

I consider the man to be ....I guess the phrase we have is..."x wing famous". And he participates in the forum. 

There's not really a lot of that coming from too many others. It's actually the opposite. The well known names around this game either actively denounce this place or purposely stay away.UNTIL it's time to post a commercial for a podcast or a YouTube video.

So. I think...ok..that's cool, a podcast is out about x wing, I'll give it a listen.

THEN  what you get is the hosts and guests joking about what a **** show the forum is.

Well. Now the plebes are pissed. 

That's fair

On 7/28/2017 at 10:11 PM, Kdubb said:

Stop Phild0! We all hate wave 11, it is ruining the game, and the game is dying.

But on a serious note, Phil is right. As far as wave 11 is concerned, let's give it at least some time to sink in before we decide everything is busted. Lowrrick, Nym, more TLTs, and a 5 attack 3 point munition that lets you keep your lock are all pretty nuts. But we are also in the "ooh new stuff!" phase. Now the counter play phase begins.

Damnit Kdubb, that IS my serious note LOL

My gripe about W11 isn't solely balance based.  The mechanics encourage drudgery.

10 minutes ago, Mynock Delta said:

That's fair

Damnit Kdubb, that IS my serious note LOL

My gripe about W11 isn't solely balance based.  The mechanics encourage drudgery.

I partially agree.  I've played against Nym a fair amount.  Against random, "try it out stuff", he's been killer, and very frustrating at times.  Against more serious lists, which, right now often includes some stress and/or ion control elements for me, he's not long for this world.  The disparity in results between these types of lists has been pretty dramatic, though.  I don't know how serious lists that lack the control I've been packing would stand up to him.

Straight up murdering that bastard with Ion/Ds has been pure joy, however, so I'm finding  that I'm enjoying wave 11 overall much more than I thought I would.  

18 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

I partially agree.  I've played against Nym a fair amount.  Against random, "try it out stuff", he's been killer, and very frustrating at times.  Against more serious lists, which, right now often includes some stress and/or ion control elements for me, he's not long for this world.  The disparity in results between these types of lists has been pretty dramatic, though.  I don't know how serious lists that lack the control I've been packing would stand up to him.

Straight up murdering that bastard with Ion/Ds has been pure joy, however, so I'm finding  that I'm enjoying wave 11 overall much more than I thought I would.  

Yeah, he's even easier to dispatch with Ion TIE/Ds than Miranda was.