Sign in to follow this  
IceQube MkII

UPDATED!!!! - US Nationals at NoVa Open: Wave 6 Rulings

12 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

This really ******* bothers me. You literally threw a temper-tantrum because the rule was not in your favor of RAW, and now you are telling us to be civil?

Do what I do and put him on ignore...its blissful. :)

50 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

This really ******* bothers me. You literally threw a temper-tantrum because the rule was not in your favor of RAW, and now you are telling us to be civil?

civil as in stop making some of the personal attacks that have been popping up again. 

also, temper-tantrums over RAI instead of RAW are well warranted.

1 hour ago, Undeadguy said:

Threw a temper tantrum?  He has paid for a ticket to this event with the plans to play a list he most likely has spent some time working on developing, perfecting and playing to take to try and do his best.  Then the organizer announces a change to the way an important corner stone to his list which is a nerf (no matter how insignificant you think the RAI is, it was a nerf) and has no basis in logic for why that change was made, he has every right to voice his opinion and be upset. 

Edited by ripper998

4 minutes ago, ripper998 said:

Threw a temper tantrum?  He has paid for a ticket to this event with the plans to play a list he most likely has spent some time working on developing, perfecting and playing to take to try and do his best.  Then the organizer announces a change to the way an important corner stone to his list which is a nerf (no matter how insignificant you think the RAI is, it was a nerf) and has no basis in logic for why that change was made, he has every right to voice his opinion and be upset. 

I have a ticket too. Do I get to have an equal say? Do I get to be angry and loud because the Marshall went out of his way to give us some rulings a month before the event happened? Maybe he should have waited until the day of and **** everyone over who was going to play Sloane. Maybe that would have been a better way to handle it yea?

Bergerfett went off the deep end, and then tells everyone to be civil about the updated ruling because is what he wanted. I have every right to call him on that because there was no reason Q had to be taking heat from anyone for doing his job. The RAW vs RAI has nothing to do with it. It's the fact that people get to be hypocrites when things go their way.

5 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

I have a ticket too. Do I get to have an equal say? Do I get to be angry and loud because the Marshall went out of his way to give us some rulings a month before the event happened? Maybe he should have waited until the day of and **** everyone over who was going to play Sloane. Maybe that would have been a better way to handle it yea?

Bergerfett went off the deep end, and then tells everyone to be civil about the updated ruling because is what he wanted. I have every right to call him on that because there was no reason Q had to be taking heat from anyone for doing his job. The RAW vs RAI has nothing to do with it. It's the fact that people get to be hypocrites when things go their way.

Berger had an issue with the way the ruling was arrived at.  When you make a RAI ruling then a)the RAW better be really unclear and b)it needs to be supported by more than secret conversations and "I think she'd be undercosted if we followed RAW".  Berger was absolutely right to be upset by the way the ruling was justified.

3 minutes ago, Valca said:

Berger had an issue with the way the ruling was arrived at.  When you make a RAI ruling then a)the RAW better be really unclear and b)it needs to be supported by more than secret conversations and "I think she'd be undercosted if we followed RAW".  Berger was absolutely right to be upset by the way the ruling was justified.

I also wasn't very happy with the ruling - nor with the way it was represented.

I just chose to be fairly civil about it.

Lol, really just sounds like you feel that people need permission to get mad at the guy.  

He essentially tried to personally issue an errata FAQ to nerf Sloane. He has been proven incorrect about his secret "in the know" support for the issue at this point, so no, he clearly shouldn't have waited until the day of to make that mistake. 

There was some responsibility and consideration in announcing his personal FAQ ahead of time, but I don't think it was all just selfless concern for the community. How was he gonna get Sloane nerfed at GenCon without trying to issue his personal FAQ ahead of time?

It is good that you can admit that you understand what he was trying to do to every player buying and practicing Sloane for an upcoming  tournament though. 

Don't worry, I will give you permission to be mad at me for saying unkind but true things about your bro. Just realize that now it really looks like you are the one throwing a fit because you didn't get the nerf you wanted or your bro didn't get to issue his own FAQ. Let this BergerFett be a polite and forgiving individual at this point if he wants. That is only a good thing even though you still resent him for questioning Q.

Speaking only for myself, it was more about an individual using his position to try to change rules he decided that he didn't like, without the support of FFG. 

Edited by SloaneKettering

i went off the deep-end for sure.  but as far as i can tell i never ever personally attacked Q or anyone else is this thread.  when others start personally attacking each other its time to stop.

I do appreciate the fact that this ruling was a month ahead of time.  I even mention that.  I also mention its a **** way to do it because not every single person going to nationals is following this forum.  That means to some poor unfortunate souls they will find out that very morning.  I also mention how there is not a similar thread for GenCon and all the people going to that, much more expensive convention.

Did Q do his job? yes.  Did he do it in a professional manner with good communication and presentation? yes. Does that mean that he is allowed immunity when he makes, what some people (myself included), determine to be detrimental rulings to the game?  no.

I also point out that if marshals have this power then FFG needs to re-evaluate some things.  The fact that they don't even run their own premiere events is a pretty big tell its in own right to be honest.  The fact that someone with some authority comes in, makes an RAI ruling, acknowledges that he is ignoring RAW, was extremely disheartening for me. He had to known he was going to take heat, that doesn't justify my actions but clearly I felt strongly enough that he had to be called out.  This has nothing to do with Q personally, I don't know him.  This very well felt like egregious abuse of power by a volunteer and I was nothing to do with a game or company that enables that.  Whether intentions are noble or not there is a line when it comes to rulings.

Just now, BergerFett said:

I do appreciate the fact that this ruling was a month ahead of time.  I even mention that.  I also mention its a **** way to do it because not every single person going to nationals is following this forum.  That means to some poor unfortunate souls they will find out that very morning.  I also mention how there is not a similar thread for GenCon and all the people going to that, much more expensive convention.

It was not just here.

It was also on the nova face books

There was also supposed to be a note for anyone registering to check these very things.

So you should have known as part of the reg process - now, I am not priv to the reg process part - but as it was the NoVa open, and it was discussed there first, before coming here as a courtesy (note that:  The forum posting was an additional courtesy announcement, not the only announcement) - one should hope that ignorance of this situation would be elective, rather than enforced.

But as I said, I cannot vouch for the whole process - only that the forum post was not only not the only place it was discussed/announced - it was not even the first.

Just now, Drasnighta said:

It was not just here.

It was also on the nova face books

There was also supposed to be a note for anyone registering to check these very things.

So you should have known as part of the reg process - now, I am not priv to the reg process part - but as it was the NoVa open, and it was discussed there first, before coming here as a courtesy (note that:  The forum posting was an additional courtesy announcement, not the only announcement) - one should hope that ignorance of this situation would be elective, rather than enforced.

But as I said, I cannot vouch for the whole process - only that the forum post was not only not the only place it was discussed/announced - it was not even the first.

It is on the players to check for these things but really, how many do or don't?

I and most others registered for Nova 6 months ago, booked hotels/flights 3-4 months ago .  This posting came out a week or 2 ago.  Sure i could cancel the hotel, eat a fee and maybe cancel the flight but I am still out the cost of entry and events.  This close to the event I doubt you can cancel your flight so i personally would be out $400 if said F this ruling I'm out. 

Its another example of RAW being important.  If RAW is the baseline for everything then i feel much more confident registering for events and making travel preparations 6months in advance.  This is where I feel FFG needs to step up to the plate and really outline some things better regarding how rulings are to be made and players expectations from EOs/TOs/Marshals/Whatever.  Other companies have done this, its a way to prevent an abuse of power, and I am not claiming that Qs motives here were anything but what he felt was the right call at the time, but coming from the hyper competitive world of WarmaHordes, I wouldn't put it past people.

4 hours ago, BergerFett said:

maybe, i could see 28ish.  the issue is i feel motti is way undercosted.  if you are going to play JJ or Tagge why not just take motti as his ability is always on, requires no extra skill or strategy to get use out of, and is just very good.

I think a main issue with the imperial admirals is mottis cost. he should be 26-30, maybe 26 and have sloane be 28.  shes also one of the first adirmals we have gotten that does something for the game and really helps our squarons.  Before her it was really just tarkin. 

Motti overcosted?  Can't say I agree with that, his ability is 'always on' but there are many cases when it is literally not relevant and you are just flat blown out of the sky.  JJ on the other hand saved you from taking damage, through allowing crazy arc dodging and escape from kill boxes, as well as lets you set up double arcs while arc dodging (I once dodged out of an ISD front, with my ISD) into only his side, while double arcing him).  Motti is a passive 'might help you' and JJ is a use to get the help you need.  He also frees you from needing to dial constant navs are your ISD zips around the board at speed 3 murdering everything twice.  Tarkin and Vader are over costed, 32-34 would be about right for either I think.  Sloane is fine where she is, on par with Cracken is reasonable. 

2 minutes ago, Darthain said:

Motti overcosted?  Can't say I agree with that, his ability is 'always on' but there are many cases when it is literally not relevant and you are just flat blown out of the sky.  JJ on the other hand saved you from taking damage, through allowing crazy arc dodging and escape from kill boxes, as well as lets you set up double arcs while arc dodging (I once dodged out of an ISD front, with my ISD) into only his side, while double arcing him).  Motti is a passive 'might help you' and JJ is a use to get the help you need.  He also frees you from needing to dial constant navs are your ISD zips around the board at speed 3 murdering everything twice.  Tarkin and Vader are over costed, 32-34 would be about right for either I think.  Sloane is fine where she is, on par with Cracken is reasonable. 

mottis cost makes him a really good default admiral as most games, 90%, you will get use out of him.  While I agree that other admirals are better, like JJ, their skill floor is higher than mottis.  Motti is the admiral i tell new players to play.  He lets you make mistakes (to a degree) and has no downsides or conditions where he starts to work. If your opponent isn't attacking your ships that seems good to me.

I think 26-28 would be a good fit for Motti honestly.  24 feels to cheap for him and while JJ is dodgy, does that matter with the 8 activation lists going on?  at that point spend 1 pt and play Motti.

Maybe Motti needs a pt tax (which i admit is not good game design) for his ease of use.  I guess with the majority of imperial admirals at that 24pt range, I see people reach for him over others because of the value he gives.

22 minutes ago, SloaneKettering said:

Lol, really just sounds like you feel that people need permission to get mad at the guy.  

He essentially tried to personally issue an errata FAQ to nerf Sloane. He has been proven incorrect about his secret "in the know" support for the issue at this point, so no, he clearly shouldn't have waited until the day of to make that mistake. 

There was some responsibility and consideration in announcing his personal FAQ ahead of time, but I don't think it was all just selfless concern for the community. How was he gonna get Sloane nerfed at GenCon without trying to issue his personal FAQ ahead of time?

It is good that you can admit that you understand what he was trying to do to every player buying and practicing Sloane for an upcoming  tournament though. 

Don't worry, I will give you permission to be mad at me for saying unkind but true things about your bro. Just realize that now it really looks like you are the one throwing a fit because you didn't get the nerf you wanted or your bro didn't get to issue his own FAQ. Let this BergerFett be a polite and forgiving individual at this point if he wants. That is only a good thing even though you still resent him for questioning Q.

Speaking only for myself, it was more about an individual using his position to try to change rules he decided that he didn't like, without the support of FFG. 

Do you know all this for sure or are you just speculating?  Cuz that's a helluva accusation to make about the guy if you don't know with certainty that his motives were what you said they were.

Just now, BergerFett said:

It is on the players to check for these things but really, how many do or don't?

I and most others registered for Nova 6 months ago, booked hotels/flights 3-4 months ago .  This posting came out a week or 2 ago.  Sure i could cancel the hotel, eat a fee and maybe cancel the flight but I am still out the cost of entry and events.  This close to the event I doubt you can cancel your flight so i personally would be out $400 if said F this ruling I'm out. 

Its another example of RAW being important.  If RAW is the baseline for everything then i feel much more confident registering for events and making travel preparations 6months in advance.  This is where I feel FFG needs to step up to the plate and really outline some things better regarding how rulings are to be made and players expectations from EOs/TOs/Marshals/Whatever.  Other companies have done this, its a way to prevent an abuse of power, and I am not claiming that Qs motives here were anything but what he felt was the right call at the time, but coming from the hyper competitive world of WarmaHordes, I wouldn't put it past people.

Not contesting a lot of things, mate.

The only point I am contesting was this:

You stated that the only place it was posted was here.

That is incorrect.

It also hurt my feelings, since I had made additional notices for it in other places.  

Even though I'm not going to it.  To Spread it.  To Spread Awareness.  To Reinforce knowledge.

On this point:

"Because how many players do?"

All of them, if they want to be following the actual **** regulations.

Its a Premier Event.

A Premier Event, you need to be familiar with the Rules, the FAQ and the Tournament Regulations.

The Tournament regulations say that the Marshal is responsible for all interpretations of the rules.

I mean, here's another thing:  This also means that "unsportsmanlike conduct" can be determined now for the tournament that has not even happened yet.  If it is deemed by the Marshal and recommended to the organiser that someone is to be dropped from the tournament due to unsportsmanlike conduct on the forums, that is completely allowed by the tournament regulations.  

But how many people are familiar with that?

They should be, if they registered for the Nationals.  

Because the rules say you should be.  

Not being familiar with the rules and regulations of a Premier event could be construed as unsportsmanlike conduct itself, after all.

27 minutes ago, SloaneKettering said:

Lol, it's funny how you're trying to make me the bad guy.

I've met Q very briefly at a regionals tournament, so I can't say I have any personal connection to him merely know about him from my friends I play with and the content he posts on the forums. Based off that, I think he is a pretty good guy who has the best interests for Armada and would never "change the rules for his bros".

My argument is not for Raw or RAI. I'd point out that I was one of the first, if not the first person to argue for RAW when Sloane first came out.

Funny right?

My entire issue with this thread is the rule disputes are up to the Marshall. I could care less what the outcome is, but I hate people crying and lobbying for a rule change because of whatever reason they have. 

40 minutes ago, BergerFett said:

i went off the deep-end for sure.  but as far as i can tell i never ever personally attacked Q or anyone else is this thread.  when others start personally attacking each other its time to stop.

Did Q do his job? yes.  Did he do it in a professional manner with good communication and presentation? yes. Does that mean that he is allowed immunity when he makes, what some people (myself included), determine to be detrimental rulings to the game?  no.

I also point out that if marshals have this power then FFG needs to re-evaluate some things.  The fact that they don't even run their own premiere events is a pretty big tell its in own right to be honest.  The fact that someone with some authority comes in, makes an RAI ruling, acknowledges that he is ignoring RAW, was extremely disheartening for me. He had to known he was going to take heat, that doesn't justify my actions but clearly I felt strongly enough that he had to be called out.  This has nothing to do with Q personally, I don't know him.  This very well felt like egregious abuse of power by a volunteer and I was nothing to do with a game or company that enables that.  Whether intentions are noble or not there is a line when it comes to rulings.

Fair enough. I understand the frustration and your intent. 

Time to put it behind us now and prep our fleets for some glorious plastic rage ships.

25 minutes ago, Rocmistro said:

Do you know all this for sure or are you just speculating?  Cuz that's a helluva accusation to make about the guy if you don't know with certainty that his motives were what you said they were.

Which part do you feel is an accusation? The part where I noticed that he directly said he felt that other major TO's should follow suit for the sake of consistency and unity? The part where he hinted around an NDA that it would be ruled this way at GenCon? Don't worry too much, this is just people talking on a forum. Not like I am using some position of power to put my feelings above what is actually correct or anything.

4 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

I've met Q very briefly at a regionals tournament, so I can't say I have any personal connection to him merely know about him from my friends I play with and the content he posts on the forums. Based off that, I think he is a pretty good guy who has the best interests for Armada and would never "change the rules for his bros".

My argument is not for Raw or RAI. I'd point out that I was one of the first, if not the first person to argue for RAW when Sloane first came out.

Funny right?

My entire issue with this thread is the rule disputes are up to the Marshall. I could care less what the outcome is, but I hate people crying and lobbying for a rule change because of whatever reason they have. 

My issue was not with the ruling, or the timing. I agree a tourney Marshall has full power to rule as he see fit. BUT! I also believe that, if a Marshall or TO is ruling in a way that contravenes the way the rules are expressly written, and understood to work by others considered as expert in the rules, he darned well better have a huge justification, and be prepared to explain himself.

All I saw was nebulous references to long talks with other players and people who 'may' be intimate with the designers. Saying 'I feel this was the intent and she's under costed otherwise' is not justifiable.

Again, not arguing his authority or position. I myself TOd untold tourneys in 2nd, 3rd 40k, and every time I made a rules call, it was based strictly on the rule book. 

This was not. 

I reiterate I have the utmost understanding for the position Q found himself in. He made this ruling a month ahead of time and tried to disseminate it (very commendable), and remained civil through the entire thing, even with people vehemently disagreeing (extremely commendable). Yes, FFG chimed in and stated he was wrong, and again he rapidly admitted to this and amended his ruling thereof (sign of a class act, there).

So let's put this to rest and move on. (Happily starts tweaking my lates Sloane list.....psst, @Destraa, I'm coming for you.....)

18 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

Funny right?

Right, but it's not actually a rules dispute if the Marshall directly and personally admits that he is ruling RAI over RAW and then backs it up with a cryptic claim about having FFG's support that doesn't turn out to be true. I never said he was trying to change the rules for his bros, I said YOU were mad that YOU personally didn't get the rule change you wanted. I said YOU were mad that YOUR bro wasn't being allowed to overstep his role and was being disrespected for trying. Nothing about his intent at all. I do think he wanted to nerf Sloane with a personal FAQ favoring his RAI over the clear RAW, because that is exactly what he did and what he admitted he did. There is no accusation there at all, only facts that anyone can go to page 1 and see for themselves.

Edited by SloaneKettering

3 minutes ago, SloaneKettering said:

Which part do you feel is an accusation? The part where I noticed that he directly said he felt that other major TO's should follow suit for the sake of consistency and unity? The part where he hinted around an NDA that it would be ruled this way at GenCon? Don't worry too much, this is just people talking on a forum. Not like I am using some position of power to put my feelings above what is actually correct or anything.

This part

55 minutes ago, SloaneKettering said:

And no hard feelings @BergerFett at all, for any of it on my part (hurt my feelings was supposed to be a joke that didn't quite hit well :) 

I am just struggling to understand a "moderate" point of view, if that's the right term...  To me these things are one of two situations:

1) Important enough to Check.  And Double Check.

2) Unimportant enough to not stress over.

That's...  clearly a mentality failing of mine, not anyone else.  

And I don't want to make anyone else believe that my way of thinking is the only way...    

But I struggle to see things at less than that, in these circumstances..  

There's plenty of Grey Area in life, for sure...  But that's how I see things here.  So I apologise for any 'kickback' that has been stated, inferred, or implied on my part.  I'm just struggling for understanding, and I'm not entirely sure I'm mentally wired in a way to see it on my own :)

Edited by Drasnighta

1 minute ago, SloaneKettering said:

Right, but it's not actually a rules dispute if the Marshall directly and personally admits that he is ruling RAI over RAW and then backs it up with a cryptic claim about having FFG's support that doesn't turn out to be true. I never said he was trying to change the rules for his bros, I said YOU were mad that YOU personally didn't get the rule change you wanted. I said YOU were mad that YOUR bro wasn't being allowed to overstep his role and being disrespected for trying. Nothing about his intent at all. I do think he wanted to nerf Sloane with a personal FAQ favoring his RAI over the clear RAW, because that is exactly what he did and what he admitted he did. There is no accusation there at all, only facts that anyone can go to page 1 and see for themselves.

Like I said, I was pro-RAW before this even went down, and now it's still being upheld as RAW. So you are just plain wrong. I like both RAW and RAI because they allow very different strategies. 

35 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

I mean, here's another thing:  This also means that "unsportsmanlike conduct" can be determined now for the tournament that has not even happened yet.  If it is deemed by the Marshal and recommended to the organiser that someone is to be dropped from the tournament due to unsportsmanlike conduct on the forums, that is completely allowed by the tournament regulations.  

Not being familiar with the rules and regulations of a Premier event could be construed as unsportsmanlike conduct itself, after all.

I'm not sure I follow the logic. Can you elaborate? 

1 minute ago, Drasnighta said:

And no hard feelings @BergerFett at all... :)

I am just struggling to understand a "moderate" point of view, if that's the right term...  To me these things are one of two situations:

And I don't want to make anyone else believe that my way of thinking is the only way...    

There's plenty of Grey Area in life, for sure...  But that's how I see things here.  So I apologise for any 'kickback' that has been stated, inferred, or implied on my part.  I'm just struggling for understanding, and I'm not entirely sure I'm mentally wired in a way to see it on my own :)

35 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

Not contesting a lot of things, mate.

The only point I am contesting was this:

You stated that the only place it was posted was here.

That is incorrect.

It also hurt my feelings, since I had made additional notices for it in other places.  

Even though I'm not going to it.  To Spread it.  To Spread Awareness.  To Reinforce knowledge.

On this point:

"Because how many players do?"

All of them, if they want to be following the actual **** regulations.

Its a Premier Event.

A Premier Event, you need to be familiar with the Rules, the FAQ and the Tournament Regulations.

The Tournament regulations say that the Marshal is responsible for all interpretations of the rules.

Fair.  you know when your right you are right.  Part of that is on me to make sure i am up to date with all these things.  i assume ive become stagnant over the years due to how privateer press handles things.  I still feel that FFG needs to clarify things, especially what unsportsmanlike conduct is.  Other companies describe it to ensure there is little abuse of power.  I don't expect any abuse but id rather have the fail safes in place.

13 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

Fair enough. I understand the frustration and your intent. 

Time to put it behind us now and prep our fleets for some glorious plastic rage ships.

agreed.  also beers after

1 minute ago, Drasnighta said:

And no hard feelings @BergerFett at all... :)

I get it and no hard feelings taken. Its been a long time since I have reviewed all the OP stuff in depth for armada, and was honestly planning on doing it during my flight Wednesday.  I am in no way perfect (my blood pressure for example).