Jedu

Simple and effective way to store the cards

I have 3 component organizer boxes and a few 52 card cases. One box contains all my Rebel ships, dice, laser line, Rebel dials, Rebel only upgrades, and Rebel pilot cards in the hard card cases sorted by ship in alphabetical order and pilot PS number. No duplicate pilots except for generics. The second box is Imperial only with two card cases sorted the same way, but I had to separate small and large ship pilots. I might have to shuffle back in the large ship pilots and just split the deck down the middle... Imperials get SO MANY generic pilot cards. The third and final box contains all my scum ships, scum only cards, a card case for the pilots and all non-faction specific  upgrade cards split up by upgrade type... though some are combined (system and tech are in the same spot for example)

It's not a perfect system, but it works for me :)

5 hours ago, Cubanboy said:

Thanks for mentioning my page, but this link is outdated, it leads to my totally crowded old site, which doesn't feature anything to download any more. Better go here: http://www.sirwillibald.com

Concerning the original question: binders seem like the obvious choice, went down that road myself, but at some point in your X-wing career it simply becomes too tedious and annoying having to remove the cards and put it back into it. Not to mention re-arranging everything once new stuff arrives, that's even worse. 

After all, I designed my CollectorBox for a reason and I actually use it myself:

3 minutes ago, SirWillibald said:

After all, I designed my CollectorBox for a reason and I actually use it myself:

The more I think about it, the more I am inclined to get some boxes, not the binder. It seems easier to keep everything in a box with separators with names of ship's or upgrade's type. Also, as SirWillibald said, it might be annoying to put card in and out from the binder all the time. I'll show you later how I manage my x-wing gear. Thanks for all your replies.

I tried the binder approach for all of a week.  Couldn't stand it.  Boxes with dividers are, for me, much faster to find cards, both when you're looking for them, and when you're putting them back.  You can grab a stack, which you have ordered the cards  alphabetically, leaf through it in just a few seconds, find as many copies as you want of the card you're looking for, then put the stack back in its spot.

Compare to having to leave through pages of a binder, get each card out of its sleeve, and then do the reverse after the game.  The worst part about binders, though, is having to reorder everything when you get new cards.  It also takes up more space, I think.

Binders might be better for looking through your collection (highly debatable) but since I build my lists with a squad builder anyway, it's not an issue.

Really, whatever suits you is best though.  Some people swear by their binders and if it works for them, great.

Just getting into X-wing V1.0, I quickly found the need for card storage and figure storage greater than just tossing them back in the main game box (which broke and I tossed anyhow).  I went to the local Harbor Freight and picked up a couple of their small parts boxes (two types, larger ones fit multiple large ships like the Falcon perfectly).

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-bin-portable-parts-storage-case-93927.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/20-bin-medium-portable-parts-storage-case-93928.html\

The bigger expensive travel foam cases look wonderful, but my goodness the cost...maybe if I was the voice of the Comic Book Store Guy from the Simpsons....anyhow....I like those print and fold little boxes from SirWilli, fantastic idea.  I may grab some card stock and try one or two soon.

The cards were the biggest issue for me, being OCD doesn't help.  I couldn't tolerate things being out of order, so I returned to the trusty good quality D ring binder and card sleeve pages.  Pilot cards are standard baseball size so those 9 card pages were easy to find online, the Upgrade mini cards (with your guy's help!!!!) I found those plastic pages too online, so I'm up and running.  What a fun game!!!