Sign in to follow this  
Jukey

Is it Executor or Executor?

Vaders SSD, never gave it a second thought for years, but which is it?

A: Executor (as in, executioner, the one who executes)

or

B: Executor (as in, executive, the supreme Executor)

I for one am stumped. But growing up I always thought it was Option A.

Edited by Jukey
After writing executor several times now the whole word just looks and sounds weird...

1 hour ago, Vergilius said:

If you intend to ask about the definition, then I'd go with an all of the above approach.  Especially in literature, its common for names to evoke more than one context in which they've been previously used.

Pronunciation is what I'm curious about. 

6 minutes ago, Jukey said:

Pronunciation is what I'm curious about. 

Merriam-Webster has both pronunciations as valid.  So unless the name is pronounced somewhere or a pronunciation guide is given, there's no way to tell between them.  A quick search revealed an awful lot of opinions both ways, with B being more dominant.

I always thought it was kind of a play on words.  If they are going for a more "diplomatic" approach, it's B.  The more aggressive deployments of it would be A.

That said, I think B makes more sense from a military perspective as it is likely going to be the flagship.

I've always said B, but I tend to mispronounce things all the time.

In English, it can only be B.

In other languages it's a bit different, as the same term can have both meanings (e.g. French "exécuteur", Spanish "ejecutor"). Myself, I grew up thinking the meaning was A, up until my English got good enough to learn that my countrymen and I had been wrong all along :P

i used to pronounce it like executioner, but then I heard it from many, many places that it is pronounced like executive. 

They often say that it is like the executor of a will or estate. Meant to sound more... regal or legal I guess. 

Edited by GrandAdmiralCrunch

I had always  thought that it was intended to be called the executor (A) but matell wouldn't put that name on a kids play set so Lucas had to re-name it and they went with executor (b) to be cheeky and because there was already product printed

Edited by TheToad