Sign in to follow this  
Hepitude

I think congradulations are in order...

Imho they need to add units to the 4 faction without trying to add other factions.

I'm convinced that the best and fastest way would be to have some multifaction units (example: a box with dwarfs with crossbow for Daqan and with axes for Latari).

Almost half a year in, we're still stuck with only the core units for the existing factions.

I know that it is impossible to have in a short time the variety and quantity of models/units of other (older) games but it is a main aspect for gather new players.

All the people that tried the game here in the region found it great but were afraid to start due the lack of different units.

Another thing that we are missing in Italy is the OP. We need to play at stores or in any place we're people can see the game to gather other players.

Unfortunately people don't play (and buy) necessarily the best game but the most played.

What we can do is continue playing, painting and talking about the game with potential players.

11 minutes ago, Lupo81 said:

Almost half a year in, we're still stuck with only the core units for the existing factions.

X-wing launched September 2012. Wave 2 was released 5 months later in February. That game didn't really take off until after multiple waves were released. I think people need to temper their expectations a little bit.

6 hours ago, Contrapulator said:

X-wing launched September 2012. Wave 2 was released 5 months later in February. That game didn't really take off until after multiple waves were released. I think people need to temper their expectations a little bit.

People forget this because most of them didn't hear about xwing until a ways into it's life. I started playing right before wave three dropped which was a full year after the game came out. At that time there was only one store that ran weekly tournaments in the entire metro, a year later there was a tournament every night of the week. It takes time.

One of the things about the X-wing forum is that many people post because they can't play. They love thinking about and discussing the game, but if they could play instead, they'd be doing that. Hopefully the slow forums here means people are getting lots of games in. Right?

I'd add to the discussion by sharing my Waiqar vs. Waiqar league game report, but it wasn't that interesting. I got destroyed, partly because I forgot 4 of my triggers:

1) the bonus die when Ardus flanked his Reanimates,
2) using Mistlands Saboteur to discard his Lingering Dead the first time we attacked,
3) I completely forgot about Terrifying Heraldry until Round 7, which would have been really nice because at one point I drew betrayal, but only had 3 results to spend, not 4, and
4) I should have done Rally with my Archers while my opponent approached so that I would have a stack of Inspiration tokens to ready Tempered Steel every round.

Regardless, I had tons of fun playing. If I weren't so enveloped in X-wing right now, I'd play more. For now, I'm averaging one game each week. It will help when the league is over, and we have a dedicated night where all the players meet together to play. Maybe.

Personally I think the comparisons to X-Wing need to stop. Besides using the flight path system this game has nothing in common with X-Wing. I keep seeing posts like "x-wing only had 1 wave for a bit" and other things along that line. This is a total misrepresentation of the game, each ship in X-Wing comes with at least 4 different pilot cards which means you can get away with having only a few ships because they can play completely different depending on what pilot you take. Ex. Biggs plays totally different than Wedge. However in Runewars a block of Cav is always going to act the same for the most part. I think this is why the game is already seeing a massive drop in players. There just isnt enough out there to keep people interested at the moment. I really hope Elves help change this and that its not to late. The game certainly feels DoA in my area.

6 hours ago, Imwookie2 said:

Personally I think the comparisons to X-Wing need to stop. Besides using the flight path system this game has nothing in common with X-Wing. I keep seeing posts like "x-wing only had 1 wave for a bit" and other things along that line. This is a total misrepresentation of the game, each ship in X-Wing comes with at least 4 different pilot cards which means you can get away with having only a few ships because they can play completely different depending on what pilot you take. Ex. Biggs plays totally different than Wedge. However in Runewars a block of Cav is always going to act the same for the most part. I think this is why the game is already seeing a massive drop in players. There just isnt enough out there to keep people interested at the moment. I really hope Elves help change this and that its not to late. The game certainly feels DoA in my area.

I don't think the different pilots in X-Wing are that different from each unit in Runewars having multiple configurations. Just like how different X-Wing pilots play differently but with the same dial, different configurations of units have different roles in Runewars even though they use the same command tool. And I would say the Infantry Command upgrades add more role diversity to the infantry units, allowing two infantry blocks to behave completely differently, adding the same kind of difference we would see with pilot abilities. 

Another huge similarity to X-Wing is how upgrades are packaged and equipped to units. That's not an insignificant thing to have in common when comparing Runewars to other miniatures games. And speaking of upgrades, we already have way more upgrades for Runewars than we had for X-Wing during wave 1 (12 upgrades). There were 18 upgrades in the Runewars core set alone.

There is already a ton of list-building potential compared to X-Wing's early days. If people are leaving Runewars, it's not because they lack options. Maybe the options are out of their price range. Maybe they're not into humans vs. skeletons. Maybe they prefer another setting altogether (like Star Wars). Maybe they can't make their models pretty enough to want to let other people see them. There are lots of reasons people may be pulling back from this game, but lack of list-building options is certainly not a valid reason.

Edited by Budgernaut

@Imwookie2 I think the game has as many options as more comparable games like WFB/AoS/40k/etc. Those games involve units that have some tailoring but not as much as X-Wing. RW is a true wargame in this sense - you're dealing with somewhat less tailored units that compliment a larger army. You have to look at this as an army that gets the most effect of the tailoring and building. 

2 hours ago, Imwookie2 said:

There just isnt enough out there to keep people interested at the moment. I really hope Elves help change this and that its not to late.

Are you kidding me? It's only been 3 and a half months since the game came out.

Edit:

2 minutes ago, TallTonyB said:

It came out a few months ago, it hasn't even started much less dying already. Also, I would like to see your data that shows it's having a massive drop in players. 

Thank you!

giphy.gif

Edited by Contrapulator

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 0:10 AM, Contrapulator said:

Are you kidding me? It's only been 3 and a half months since the game came out.

No I'm not kidding. In those 3 and a half months most of the FLGS near me have gone from stocking a bunch of runewars  to only ordering 1 or maybe 2 of the new expansions if any at all.  At the end of the day if game stores aren't moving product they will stop carrying the game. Maybe(hopefully) in your area its different but like I said in my original post the game feels DOA in my neck of the woods.

FLGS near me have gone from stocking a bunch of runewars  to only ordering 1 or maybe 2 of the new expansions if any at all

I'm optimistic about the game's future, but anecdotally I've experienced this with my FLGS as well. I think they went waaaay overboard with the release, stocking a full wall of the Core and the first four boxes. Since then they've barely ordered any of the new expansions and never got Hawthorne at all.

The FFG event center has a glut of supply, though they're a bit biased.  Other places around town in MPLS seem to carry far less stock.  

Anyway, they're definitely in a strong lull at the moment, hopefully it can be brought back to life soon.