Sign in to follow this  
Hepitude

I think congradulations are in order...

About the posts numbers, I have been monitoring them for the last 3 months. I am not happy with the situation. It is obviously not a perfect measure of the health of a game, but I do believe there is a relationship.

I was to open at some point a post about "the state of the game" but I believe that it is probably more optimistic and discreet to open it in this thread.

The numbers are very bad. I was worried in May when a just started game was not competing with a game such as Armada (Xwing is always off charts), but now things have gone way worse.

The first thing I have to say is that the game is fantastic. It's just everything I would have wanted. Fast but deep, competitive but also "fantastic".

Now the whole point is what can FFG and we do to make it succeed more? I do believe that keeping the actual direction is not good enough. Things are going too slow, and in this world if you go too slow you die.  Old (for example WG PP ) and new games (CMON) are going to fight hard and communities can not hold an unlimited number of games. Under certain thresholds, people don't find rivals and change games.

Here I can put my 2 cents about what I believe could help the game.

1. In my local group they are really crying for a FAQ.  They can not understand that such an "easy" thing to do takes so long. You might not be able to answer yet all the questions, but surely there are some things that FFG has no doubts about.

1. Lore, this is very important especially when you are competing against very powerful Ips. What we have until now, it is too few and too bland. I was really expecting a novel or something that could put some meat around the bones and increase loyalty. Other easier solutions could also do the trick, but we have to improve the Lore!

1. Championships, some bigger presence in social networks,  in youtube, twitch, give your fans something to talk and discuss.

1. Faster deploy of additional armies. This would be so good!  A lot of people are waiting for elves or even dwarves to jump into the game. But they are waiting so long. In 1 year time, they might not want to wait anymore. And I think that I can play Daqan and Waiqar endlessly but not everybody thinks the same.

I am still optimistic, I believe that it will probably succeed, but it is not guaranteed. We have to push it faster or it may start falling and then it will be too late.

P.S. The numbers in the graph are the posts to the previous graph point  for every 100 XWING posts. 

Captura.PNG.c6714a881414a990cdd786b6de36331c.PNG

Edited by Liher

Forum has definitely slowed down the last few weeks.  I assumed it would.  We are still playing slight variations on the core set meta aside from the new heros.  Once the new factions, the faq gets released, and we starting getting more unit variation I think things will pick back up.

Yes, lack of real organized play is a big problem for discussion. The kits so far don't have too much cool stuff and I've not seen many be too excited in my area.  They like the game, but people are pretty universally disappointed in the lack of expansions. Only having 3 non hero units per faction seems to be kind of a turn off which is no surprise. Especially when there's only 2 factions. I'm pretty sure Armada and xwing only got away with that by virtue of being star wars and even that wasn't awesome

I suspect things will pick up once the elves come in and there is 3 full factions to play with. Every time something new is released there is a huge surge. Also forums are a horrible measure of a game's health as 90% of players do not visit them or have a desire to visit them. 

Organized play hasn't even formally started.

It's summer. Vacations happen. People aren't generally painting as many minis this time of year ...

So while I'm somewhat concerned about the state of the game, I'm not super concerned as I think it'll ramp up about Sept or so. If it doesn't, THEN I'll be worried.

37 minutes ago, tgall said:

Organized play hasn't even formally started.

It's summer. Vacations happen. People aren't generally painting as many minis this time of year ...

So while I'm somewhat concerned about the state of the game, I'm not super concerned as I think it'll ramp up about Sept or so. If it doesn't, THEN I'll be worried.

Along with summer, a major minis game edition released. Letting people sort before another big push is probably wise. We cannot ever compete with Star Wars, I highly doubt FFG expects that mirroring to continue this RW for a good while.

I think the game will pick up exponentially once new armies are released and FFG brings out more unique races/characters from their own lore. Part of what makes Privateer Press and Wyrd successful is their minis are so unique and new, mostly. Both companies made an impact when they first hit the scene by being different enough from GW/D&D that it caught people's attention. FFG lead with Humans and Undead, which while a safe move, it didn't really come out of the gate in a "hey look at our cool world" kind of way.

That will change slightly with Latari and a lot more with Uthuk. I'm hoping their next race/faction brings in something crazy unique or innovative. Dwarves could be that in the right direction, but FFG has so much more hardcore lore to draw from. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they just stuck with 4 different factions.  That's already 1 more than they ran with X-wing (2 for Armada) and getting balance right can be pretty tough.  Though if they're ever willing to do unit and upgrade card reprints, they could get away with being more risky.

I've got a list of 15 people I want to teach the game to because I've played other games (mostly Warhammer Fantasy) with them. But I'm waiting until Uthuk is out. By then, HOPEFULLY we'll have an FAQ and full OP rules (if it, I'll be really upset) and four factions to choose from, which is a big deal, especially for people who used to play a game with 15 factions. Two just isn't enough variety. With four, I feel like there will be something for everyone to choose from. So I'm waiting until October before my big push, and I suspect others are as well.

Thankfully, I have little doubt that FFG will continue to support this game for a few years regardless. They tend to continue support for a game long after it has died out by any reasonable metric, which is really good of them. If this game was being produced by, say, Wizards of the Coast, I'd be worried, but with FFG, I think we're in good shape. As long as it starts growing by the beginning of next year, there won't be a problem.

So, for now, just hang in there. Think of yourselves as being in the public beta. ;) You'll be well-equipped to teach the game when it's ready.

5 minutes ago, Zetan said:

Thankfully, I have little doubt that FFG will continue to support this game for a few years regardless. They tend to continue support for a game long after it has died out by any reasonable metric, which is really good of them. If this game was being produced by, say, Wizards of the Coast, I'd be worried, but with FFG, I think we're in good shape. As long as it starts growing by the beginning of next year, there won't be a problem.

I'll also add that while I know it's not really corroborated, RW was the game that caused tension between FFG and GW. That tension or rift is what made FFG discontinue their GW products. 

GW felt that RW would be in direct competition with WFB/AoS and their relationship became strained. 

11 minutes ago, Hawkman2000 said:

I'll also add that while I know it's not really corroborated, RW was the game that caused tension between FFG and GW. That tension or rift is what made FFG discontinue their GW products. 

GW felt that RW would be in direct competition with WFB/AoS and their relationship became strained. 

I was under the impression that both companies knew they were parting ways before FFG began working on Runewars. Runewars seems more of a "if you guys are leaving, I guess we'll start our own fantasy miniatures game" kind of project.

3 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

I was under the impression that both companies knew they were parting ways before FFG began working on Runewars. Runewars seems more of a "if you guys are leaving, I guess we'll start our own fantasy miniatures game" kind of project.

The rumor I read was that FFG was already in process with RW before the split. 

If the forums seem a bit slow lately, I think it's due to that there's nothing on the very near horizon. We've had a flurry of releases and we've all been excited, but now there's a lull.

when elves go to shipping now the threads will pick up again.

until then just paint and play.

57 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

With blackjack, and hookers.

Yeah I've heard that rumour before, but both are plausible followed by 'we'll never know'.  FFG lost a lot of titles due to that split, so I've always assumed more of a 'writing on the wall' type thing, followed by RW development. 

I don't think CMON's game helped, I get the feeling people are holding off on getting into RW in case the Kickstarter is any good. Hopefully in a few weeks time people will make up their minds and start buying in.