Sign in to follow this  
BenDay

What if ships squirted instead of bumped?

I know bumping is a fundamental game mechanic that has been expanded on with upgrades and it is  certainly unrealistic to change the rule now.  But hypothetically speaking, do you think the game would have a more dog fight feel if instead of ships bumping when they overlapped, they would be moved passed each other (still touching and loss of an action)?  I think this would need a new set of maneuver templates, like the collision ones in vassal but it would eliminate the incredibly unrealistic traffic jams in space (not that I have ever been in a traffic jam in space).

Good idea, poor choice of words (unless you're trolling :huh: )

Scoot, skirt, boost, slide... All better descriptions

Which upgrades would be adversely affected by changing to this style? The "overlap" term would apply just as well to this as bumping, you just can't permanently block with Oicunn + ion projector or otherwise fortress. If fortressing becomes a serious issue I think this rule change would be an elegant solution.

I think it would be a pain in the *** if every time you bumped, you had to lift up/proxy the ship you overlapped, to put a template down underneath them, so that you could figure out what facing you should have on the other side.

Now, on the other hand, if they loosened the restrictions on where the ship was placed on the other side, that would be brilliant.  With that version, you might not have to fuss around with templates and proxies at ALL, if the rules are written well.  You might just place your ship touching one of the other side.  As long as it's not possible to abuse somehow, that could be very nice.

I think a alternative mechanic with some kind of cardboard token in the size auf a small/large base, that can be placed underneath would also be a cool solution....as long as no more than lets say 3 ships occupy the same space this would bumping remove completely

1 hour ago, vonstryker said:

This thread is awesome

This is the greatest thread ever.

4 minutes ago, mkevans80 said:

I think it would be a pain in the *** if every time you bumped, you had to lift up/proxy the ship you overlapped, to put a template down underneath them, so that you could figure out what facing you should have on the other side.

Now, on the other hand, if they loosened the restrictions on where the ship was placed on the other side, that would be brilliant.  With that version, you might not have to fuss around with templates and proxies at ALL, if the rules are written well.  You might just place your ship touching one of the other side.  As long as it's not possible to abuse somehow, that could be very nice.

Well, as it is now, you usually end up having to run the "train tracks" and sometimes moving multiple ships.

If you just ran the tracks out the other side, placed the ship on them and then moved the ship back along them so it's touching the ship is squirted past, which by the way, will never get old saying, then it shouldn't be too hard. 

It would be interesting to see how this changes certain ship builds, like bumpmasters and Heff Tober. It would break fortressing, which is good imo. Playing near the edge would be even more dangerous, as you could get squirted right off the edge.

Squirted.