Crabbok

Wish the rebels had a better carrier.

So I really like the Quasar as a carrier.  It has so many of the things I want for a rebel carrier.  Shame they don't have access to it.  And just about every rebel carrier that's out right now is lacking in at least one key area. 

1st criteria- Squadron value of 4 or more. 

2nd - Weapons Team - (So I can put Flight Controllers on)

3rd - Offensive Retrofit - for obvious squadron supporting options. 

4th - Good titles for supporting squadrons

5th - Officer slot for folks like Adar Tallon.  (Granted every ship can take an officer, but I figured I'd still add it to my wishlist in case one day they start making ships without them.  )

6th - be cheap.

So many of the rebel carriers are lacking key slots here.  I could also probably ask for support team, but ever since Relay I just don't feel like I need to keep my squadrons close any more and wouldn't get as much use out of Fighter Coordination Team.  

Right now the Assault Frigate is awfully close to this list, but only come in variants of 2 and 3 squadron values.  

The Liberty is actually decent too, if you are running Leia as commander, but still, not perfect... (though I'm probably gonna try to run it soon regardless).  

Maybe the MC-75 will fit the bill?   Maybe have doubles of some of the good slots?   

The Assault Frigate is EXACTLY what you want. I have been running the following:

Assault Frigate Mark II B - 72pts.

Flight Controllers - 6pts.

Expanded Hanger Bay - 5pts.

Dual Turbolaser Turrets - 5pts.

Total: 88pts.

I have a comms net flotilla that I fly with it to feed it a token for a couple of rounds so it activates 5 squads at a time. You can easily put Adar Tallon and Gallant Haven on it and there you go! :D

I really love the AF2B as a carrier in my fleet only trouble i have is my activations either suffer from trying to fit in a ship with some firepower or this ship is the main ship to ship damage dealer and therefore becomes the immediate target. I've found an AF2B and torpedo frigate work somewhat well together for me. Tried the leia liberty and did not like it the without the possibility of an offensive retrofits. I'm sure theyre is a reason the rebels get the short end of the stick with carriers cause our fighters are the best!!! :P suck it empire lol

8 minutes ago, itzSteve said:

The Assault Frigate is EXACTLY what you want. I have been running the following:

Assault Frigate Mark II B - 72pts.

Flight Controllers - 6pts.

Expanded Hanger Bay - 5pts.

Dual Turbolaser Turrets - 5pts.

Total: 88pts.

I have a comms net flotilla that I fly with it to feed it a token for a couple of rounds so it activates 5 squads at a time. You can easily put Adar Tallon and Gallant Haven on it and there you go! :D

no i want it to have 4 squadron value base though.  

It's a shame the Pelta isn't speed 3, or able to take a weapons team.  If it did, I'd think we'd have a great carrier right there.  It's slightly more survivable than the Quasar, and similar price.  And it can take support upgrades, perfect for flight commander or FCT plus the option of AFFM.  I don't think it's a bad carrier right now, but I don't think it quite compares with the Quasar.

Honestly if the Rebels could have a officer that would allow ships to take a weapons team, or something like that, I'd say problem solved.  Flight Controllers is just such a powerful upgrade, and Rebels don't have great access to it.

pointless speculation >

MC75 will have Squadron Three.

"Red Squadron and Gold Squadrons, Attack Formations!  Defend the Fleet!  Blue Squadron, Get to the Surface (...)"

3 Squadrons Commanded.  Squadron 3.

/pointless speculation >

:D

(this is, of course, not serious)

Based on the way Rebel fighters are designed, I don't think you'll ever see that, as you'll get 5 dice x wings and even I'll admit that pushing 4 of them is ludicrous.

With All fighters follow me and Toryn and an expanded hangar bays, why do you need flight controllers? Put raymus in there and you've got squadrons 5 if you need it.

45 minutes ago, geek19 said:

Based on the way Rebel fighters are designed, I don't think you'll ever see that, as you'll get 5 dice x wings and even I'll admit that pushing 4 of them is ludicrous.

With All fighters follow me and Toryn and an expanded hangar bays, why do you need flight controllers? Put raymus in there and you've got squadrons 5 if you need it.

yet imperials are fine throwing 6 dice interceptors in mass with howlrunner and flight controllers with a reroll from swarm for disposable level cheapness at speed 5?

while reeikan aces were pretty lame, on the whole the rebel squadron game is pretty lacking with sub par carriers, and while yavaris is pretty neat it dies to a stiff breeze

19 minutes ago, TerrorScream said:

yet imperials are fine throwing 6 dice interceptors in mass with howlrunner and flight controllers with a reroll from swarm for disposable level cheapness at speed 5?

while reeikan aces were pretty lame, on the whole the rebel squadron game is pretty lacking with sub par carriers, and while yavaris is pretty neat it dies to a stiff breeze

Yes, they can have 6 dice interceptors when you then turn around and flak them.  One damage flakking them takes away 1/3 of their health.  If you have a second dice or concentrate fire on them, they can be killed.  If they're throwing their Interceptors out there at speed 5 and hope to command them next round, the Quasar is going to need to be distance 5 away from them.  Which also means its about distance 5 from your ships, who can fire on it and then blow it apart.

And if Yavaris is dying to a stiff breeze, how are you piloting it? Not right in front of an ISD I hope.

Followup point: we just came out of a wave where Rieekan Aces blew up everything ever and the entire forum had a conniption when that happened because that was bad for game balance.  Do we need to give Rebel squadrons (which is still a strong build, Rieekan nerf be darned) the ability to fire 4 B-wings across the board super easily? No, because that would be bad game design.

4 hours ago, Crabbok said:

no i want it to have 4 squadron value base though.  

Raymus Antilles exists....

4 hours ago, Tiberius the Killer said:

It's a shame the Pelta isn't speed 3, or able to take a weapons team.  If it did, I'd think we'd have a great carrier right there.  It's slightly more survivable than the Quasar, and similar price.  And it can take support upgrades, perfect for flight commander or FCT plus the option of AFFM.  I don't think it's a bad carrier right now, but I don't think it quite compares with the Quasar.

Honestly if the Rebels could have a officer that would allow ships to take a weapons team, or something like that, I'd say problem solved.  Flight Controllers is just such a powerful upgrade, and Rebels don't have great access to it.

We already throw 4 dice! Yes, Interceptors can throw 6 with Howlrunner.  So go kill Howlrunner, or failing that, the Quasar.  Killing the Quasar takes away a LOT of the Imp squadrons ability to move and shoot, which then is fine to deal with them.  Flak didnt stop existing this wave, throw more of it at those Interceptors

Rebels have 3 ships that can run Flight Commander+Fighter Coordination Team well (HMC80, Neb-B, Pelta) and Imperials have zero (sorry @Drasnighta I love you man but I'm not convinced at all about Interdictor carriers).

Rebels overall can command more total muscle of squadrons for each squadron point due to Rebel squadrons being heavier in general.

Rebels get access to two-dice bombers (B-Wings) at a reasonable cost.

Rebels have tech to get more mileage out of individual squadrons (Yavaris and Adar Tallon).

Rebels have access to All Fighters Follow Me on their most dedicated carrier ship. If they don't want that, they can use Entrapment Formation for their whole fleet to get speed changes while still commanding squadrons.

Rebels have the cheapest flotilla, giving them backup carriers at a discount.

You'll have to forgive me if my heart doesn't go out to you because your Flight Controllers ship is "only" Squadrons 3 and can go up to Squadrons 4 with Expanded Hangar Bays and also offers the best defensive squadron title in the game.

So the imperials get its first carrier (bar the very expensive isd1 fit out) and suddenly the various options available to the rebels are not good enough. 

If it helps I want an mc80 variant for imps, with good broadsides, but with the same front output as an isd but at around half the cost...

i know this this isn't a helpful post but come on...

1 minute ago, Benji1980 said:

So the imperials get its first carrier (bar the very expensive isd1 fit out) and suddenly the various options available to the rebels are not good enough. 

If it helps I want an mc80 variant for imps, with good broadsides, but with the same front output as an isd but at around half the cost...

i know this this isn't a helpful post but come on...

#teamvenator!

i also want a stolen imperial star destroyer and a quasar for the rebels, and a imp neb B and a venators for the imps.

(I'm being mostly sarcastic, but IMO rebels have never had a decent carrier. The neb B with Yavaris is a great strategic squadron command ship, but it is not in any way a carrier, what I want to see is an actual rebel carrier, weak hull, weak shields, weak firepower, I don't care, as long as it can, as a base carry 4-5 squadrons and go speed 3, but I'm ok to wait)

Fighter coordination teams is awesome for Bwing carriers. I used to love MC80 home one pulling a hoard of bwings around. Didnt even have to use the squad dial that often. 

But yes I see your sentiments, its compromises everywhere. 

Pelta may also be close to all your needs. 

2 hours ago, Snipafist said:

Rebels have 3 ships that can run Flight Commander+Fighter Coordination Team well (HMC80, Neb-B, Pelta) and Imperials have zero (sorry @Drasnighta I love you man but I'm not convinced at all about Interdictor carriers).

Rebels overall can command more total muscle of squadrons for each squadron point due to Rebel squadrons being heavier in general.

Rebels get access to two-dice bombers (B-Wings) at a reasonable cost.

Rebels have tech to get more mileage out of individual squadrons (Yavaris and Adar Tallon).

Rebels have access to All Fighters Follow Me on their most dedicated carrier ship. If they don't want that, they can use Entrapment Formation for their whole fleet to get speed changes while still commanding squadrons.

Rebels have the cheapest flotilla, giving them backup carriers at a discount.

You'll have to forgive me if my heart doesn't go out to you because your Flight Controllers ship is "only" Squadrons 3 and can go up to Squadrons 4 with Expanded Hangar Bays and also offers the best defensive squadron title in the game.

Quoting for truth.

I fail to see why Rebels should get access to all these toys *and* get a dedicated bulk carrier like the Quasar. If they do, well, how about Imperials get access to a cost-effective FC+FCT platform? To a blue+black bomber? To amazing squadron support like Yavaris?

If anything, the Quasar helped provide some much-needed balance to the squadron game, especially with the Rhymer nerf. 

Such carrier would be absolutely OP especially if you take int consideration that it would activate multi-role rebel squadrons. Basically you want to put every single squadron-supporting card on a single ship AND you want it to be cheap as well. Might as well demand a playable Death Star for the Imps...

Not to mention there is no such carrier in EU or in Mouse-"canon".

42 minutes ago, Norell said:

Such carrier would be absolutely OP especially if you take int consideration that it would activate multi-role rebel squadrons. Basically you want to put every single squadron-supporting card on a single ship AND you want it to be cheap as well. Might as well demand a playable Death Star for the Imps...

Not to mention there is no such carrier in EU or in Mouse-"canon".

^ What he said. 

Also, oddly, I've been thinking all the time: I wish Imps had a Hammerhead type ship.  Even raiders are less durable than hammerheads.  Though, Raiders are more punchy.  And I do like them Speed 4 and Speed 2.  

Raiders are cool. But just .. too easy to kill from small mistakes.  

7 hours ago, geek19 said:

based on the way Rebel fighters are designed, I don't think you'll ever see that, as you'll get 5 dice x wings

So this is too much but 6 dices with reroll interceptors with howlrunner in 6-in-a-row activations is... normal?

1 hour ago, xerpo said:

So this is too much but 6 dices with reroll interceptors with howlrunner in 6-in-a-row activations is... normal?

Howlrunner's effect is limited to squadrons with very low hull and mediocre anti-ship attacks (enter: Sloane). Rebels can plop Toryn onto any ship to get a reroll equivalent; 5 blue dice + reroll + bomber command center + Biggs X-Wings, sounds pretty spooky.

Currently, the Empire has the better generic carrier, in the Quasar's high quantity and high quality activations. The Rebels have better specialized carriers, in Yavaris + Pelta's unique effects, and all the Rebel carriers are also fairly respectable combat ships.