scoddyboy

Are legendarys needed to be competitive?

9 hours ago, Robin Graves said:

FFG sure seems to be pushing the legendaries with this deck:

Characters (3):
Hera Syndulla (elite), Admiral Ackbar,   Rebel Trooper
Battlefield (1):
Weapons Factory Alpha
Supports (11):
C-3PO (2), T-47 Airspeeder (2), Y-Wing (2), Ghost (2), Black One (1), U-Wing (2)
Upgrades (1):
A280 Blaster Rifle (1)

legendaries: 3 different ones, two of wich you need 2 of. Good luck pulling those Ghosts and U-wings from one box.

Come on 5 legendaries only, in adddition B1 is one of the cheapest, Uwings also are not super expensive, and IMO Ghost gonna have price tag similar to Uwing, and you say they are pushing legendaries with it...?

11 hours ago, TheTechWookiee said:

Especially when they're in 2 different expansions. Lol. 

Ah yes, slight overisght of mine. Still I don't think, you get double legendaries in a box, so it's still a slog to get all the dice you need for this deck.

4 hours ago, Vitalis said:

Come on 5 legendaries only, in adddition B1 is one of the cheapest, Uwings also are not super expensive, and IMO Ghost gonna have price tag similar to Uwing, and you say they are pushing legendaries with it...?

Maybe  a bit unfair comparison on my part but it always irks me when companies (let's say WOTC) go "look what a great deck you can make with these sets" and it's a list full of rares and legendaries that would be hard/expensive to get. Personally I'd prefer if they went the other route, showing how you could make a budget deck that's still quite powerfull. That way I don't get the feeling the game is all about the legendaries

2 hours ago, RookiePilot said:

In X-Wing the X-Wing 101 series of articles try to build 100 point squads for around $100 dollars, which is nice.  However, that is not a blind collectible game, so it is no loss of sales to them to do so.

I was just going to mention those! I wonder if one could design a $30 list for this game (you know, because X-Wing is 100 squad points but this game is only 30 cards)? I might crunch some numbers. I think it would also be easy to design a $101 list for this game, but you'd expect the costs for this game to be less in this game given there's no fancy plastic ships, templates, dials, seas of cardboard bases, tokens, etc...

Ok, since I mentioned it, I just came up with this list. I've been testing it out, and it's actually not bad! And for a bit under $60, anyone could build this one! Plus, it comes with all the rules and tokens, and no legendaries!

If FFG wants me to write an article about this, I'm game! :P

Note: TC doesn't actually sell commons, so I just assumed they're 50¢ each at any reasonable game store. I'm pretty sure that's their cost on Miniatures Market too.

Kylo Ren (Aw 11) x2 
Darth Vader (SoR 10) x2
Emperor’s Throne Room (SoR 167)

Immobilize (Aw 14) x2
Lightsaber (Aw 59) x1
Mind Probe (Aw 60) x1
Makashi Training (SoR 56) x2
Command Shuttle (SoR 13) x2
Take Cover (Aw 157) x2
Enrage (Aw 81) x2
Isolation (Aw 85) x2
Intimidate (Aw 84) x2
Lightsaber Throw (SoR 72) x2
Manipulate (SoR 73) x2
Rejuvenate (SoR 132) x2
Rise Again (SoR 76) x2
Overconfidence (SoR 130) x2
Swiftness (SoR 139) x2
Force Illusion (SoR 135) x2

Costs: (from Team Covenant, prices as of 8/1/17) 

Kylo Ren’s Starter $15
Vader (SoR 10) x2 $10
Emperor’s Throne Room (SoR 167) $1
Immobilize (Aw 14) x1 $1
Makashi Training (SoR 56) x2 $8
Command Shuttle (SoR 13) x2 $2
Take Cover (Aw 157) x1 50¢
Enrage (Aw 81) x1 50¢
Isolation (Aw 85) x1 50¢
Intimidate (Aw 84) x1 50¢
Lightsaber Throw (SoR 72) x2 $4
Manipulate (SoR 73) x2 $1
Rejuvenate (SoR 132) x2 $1
Rise Again (SoR 76) x2 $6
Overconfidence (SoR 130) x2 $1
Swiftness (SoR 139) x2 $1
Force Illusion (SoR 135) x2 $4

Total cost: $57

Edited by Kieransi

So now the next question is how much can I drop that price?  A question I shall examine later.  The first thing is going to be remove the battlefield and switch it with frozen wastes.  I might also pull the Makashi training.  I'm actually going to, and add in a lightsaber instead.  cost down to 53. Cut the other makashi for infantry grenades (that's starter right?) and you have 49 (or 50 if its not.)  maybe pull a command shuttle for Speeder bike scout and get some removal?  You could also drop vader for another trooper, but as the person who played against this (running an eUnkar / eVeers support deck by the way)  Vader is a big reason as to this list winning.

Edited by Do I need a Username

I understand the sentiment, and that's how I started the game (bought two Kylo Starters and a Rey Starter), but anyone who starts the game by going to tournaments with Kylo/Trooper/Trooper is going to get discouraged really fast. 

The point of this deck is finding something a beginner can afford that won't get blown out of the water at a tourney. I personally prefer casual play anyway, it was just a thought experiment, since so many others on this forum have complained about spending a couple hundred bucks and being unable to win.

6 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

I understand the sentiment, and that's how I started the game (bought two Kylo Starters and a Rey Starter), but anyone who starts the game by going to tournaments with Kylo/Trooper/Trooper is going to get discouraged really fast. 

The point of this deck is finding something a beginner can afford that won't get blown out of the water at a tourney. I personally prefer casual play anyway, it was just a thought experiment, since so many others on this forum have complained about spending a couple hundred bucks and being unable to win.

I need to find a good casual group in my area. I probably have the cards to put something together that could take on a tier 1 deck, but from past experience with M:TG that isn't a fun scene.

The problem I'm having is that my friends I've gotten into the game are either not interested enough or too cheap to invest heavily into it.

Pre-SoR, I built a Qui-Gonn/Rey deck as a gift for my friend to help get him into the game without a steep buy-in. It had no legendaries that was pretty solid but not T1. In Awakenings, it would've been improved by One With the Force and maybe Luke's Lightsaber. Spirit of Rebellion adds Force Speed to the mix of good Legendary updates to the deck, but that's still pretty manageable.

If you were to sell your current Legendaries to fund a box or two of EaW, you'd end up with 6 (potentially) hot new legendaries that you could probably count on trading for a similar number of legendaries for your new deck. There are definitely good deck options that use few legendaries.

Thanks guys, I will probably sell my legendary characters that I only have one dice for, and legendary upgrades. I do like my legendary vehicles and really want to build a vehicle heavy deck, but we will see.