scoddyboy

Are legendarys needed to be competitive?

Sorry if this has been covered before. 

Basically, I have 2 EaW boosters on order and need to fund them somehow. I am thinking about maybe selling some, if not all, of my legendarys, (from awakenings and SoR), on the second hand market to do this but am basically wondering if I have 0 legendarys in a deck, will I not be as competitive? 

Thanks

Poe/Maz is legendary city, so you'd have to give up on that. The only other competitive hero decks always involve Rey, and Force Speed and Vibroknife are pretty much essential for that. Unkar decks really want Crime Lord and Rocket Launchers, but they can do without. Vader/Raider and Vader/Kylo like Kylo's Lightsaber, but it's not essential. The Vader in Vader/Raider is a legendary though. So yeah, you'd be giving up on heroes, but you could still build some decent versions of top villain decks with just rares.

You would be sacrificing some power to get the new cards, but I don't think you'd be getting a bad deal. Besides, you will probably be able to trade some EaW cards from your boosters for anything you end up really needing. And there's always casual play! Rares can still be just as fun as legendaries away from a tournament setting! 

That's what I'm thinking, I've actually won store championship with Jango/fn 2199, and quarterly with dooku/kylo. I was stuck between selling legendarys and selling my second card of every rare but was thinking it might limit my choices more than not having any legendarys. My collection is already taking up a lot of space, thanks to all the die, and need to make room (as well as money) for the next set.

I think it's probably a good idea - I'm thinking of selling some legendaries as well, but I'm thinking the prices will climb once SoR and Awakenings stock goes out, especially since EaW might be so vehicle-focused that my vehicles might climb in value. So for right now, I'm just going to deal with having a lot of extra because I'm going to wait and sell when the prices climb. 

Yeah, there is no point in selling until they are completely out of stock, but do so before rotation.

You can certainly make a good deck without legendaries. I am not sure it would be tier 1 exactly, but you can get close. Maybe the best thing to do is put together a tier 1 deck for tournaments, a few cheaper causal decks to mix things up with and sell the rest.

5 hours ago, nismojoe said:

I don't think ekylo/evader uses any legendaries and that is a successful deck.

Call me a deep water bass, because I'm taking this bait.

Death Vader is a Legendary. Any Vader deck has at least one Legendary in it: Vader. Also it's no surprise that eKylo/eVader is a successful deck, considering it's five points too expensive for a legal deck.

25 minutes ago, Ajones47 said:

Call me a deep water bass, because I'm taking this bait.

Death Vader is a Legendary. Any Vader deck has at least one Legendary in it: Vader. Also it's no surprise that eKylo/eVader is a successful deck, considering it's five points too expensive for a legal deck.

Not sure if sarcasm or doesn't acknowledge baby Vader. 

16 hours ago, Mace Windu said:

So you are genuinely unaware of the Darth Vader - Dark Apprentice Card from SoR that has an elite cost of 17 and is a normal rare,

or

your a troll

I'm leaning towards the latter.

Or he somehow forgot about the new Vader card...

Not sure how that happens, probably trolling.

Deck i have faced/seen/play that are somehow competetive (have a chance to win) with your question in mind:

PoeMaz - like someone said : its legendary city...around 10 legends so no no.
eKylo/eVader - currently i think its the best nonlegendary deck around, Speed is nice but not essential, Vibros are pretty essential (i will mention them cause they are priced like a legendary)
eRey/eQuiGon - same deal, especially if you play defensive version. One with the Force is somehow essential...same deal with Speed as above nice but not essential, 2xVibro is a must
eMothma/2xHired Gun - here you go, Uwing is very nice here, but you can build this one with no legendaries.
eHan/eRey - just han. One with the force maybe - but again not essential.
Unkar/Fn2199 - Baton is very very nice but again you CAN deal without it. Vibro is more essential here. Decks that lean harder on Unkar tend to run CrimeLord and Slave 1 sometimes.
4 chars imperial soldiers - no legendaries (but at-st is nice with friends in high places)
ePhasma+2 guardians - just Phasma.
Hero mill decks - tend to no run any legendaries that i can think of now.
eBaze/eSnap - just baze

I think that would be it from what i can think of now. I would not sell legendary characters if i were you. As you can see there are decks where just legendary elite character can be all the legends you need. Rest is up to you.

If a rare could be sold for the price of multiple boosters, or a legendary for the price of 10+ boosters, it's worth the gamble to sell and restock in the hopes of getting even more high end pieces.

That is assuming, of course, you have access to boosters.

Depends on the character and what you want to do with it. I only have one Luke dice, and I'm desperately looking for the second. Vader on the other hand seems ok with just one, in either Unkar/Vader or Jabba/Vader mill. Palpatine is worthless with just one dice. Very few characters are actually useful with just one dice, and those are usually the cheaper characters (I'm thinking of FN-2199 and Ackbar), and legendaries tend to be the most expensive characters, so yeah, if you don't think you'll find the second dice, selling is probably a good choice. 

On 7/28/2017 at 8:49 PM, scoddyboy said:

New question now, is there any point keeping legendary characters if you only have one copy of card/dice?

In case of characters you need to ask yourself:
Do i want this char for his dice or his ability? If the answer is ability (Unkar, FN, Rey [well but she is so cheap anyway...), new uncoming Hera are prime examples) you are perfectly fine with just one copy. If you want this char for its dice (both Vaders, Poe, Han and so on) you need elite version.

With upgrades there is somehow different question:
Do i need this upgrade as an essential part of my deck, or just good to have? Can i replace it with something with only minimal lose of efficiency? Examples of essential legendaries are most legendaries in PoeMaz as they are only source of damage in that deck and any you don't have many replacements for 6+ dmg of thermal, or 4 dmg falcon. Replaceable ones are Batons in FN deck. They are pinnacle of efficiency in this deck but you can replace them without loosing THAT much. 
Single upgrade tends to come and go based on luck. 2 copies of that usually are drawn i 1-2 draw using 30 card deck.

Edited by Vitalis

FFG sure seems to be pushing the legendaries with this deck:

Characters (3):
Hera Syndulla (elite), Admiral Ackbar,   Rebel Trooper
Battlefield (1):
Weapons Factory Alpha
Supports (11):
C-3PO (2), T-47 Airspeeder (2), Y-Wing (2), Ghost (2), Black One (1), U-Wing (2)
Upgrades (1):
A280 Blaster Rifle (1)

legendaries: 3 different ones, two of wich you need 2 of. Good luck pulling those Ghosts and U-wings from one box.

Well, it is a Vehicle deck.

For better or worse, decks that rely on Vehicle Supports (or that heavily use them, like Poe) are going to remain expensive as long as each set in rotation has one or more powerful Legendary vehicles. So if you're trying to budget, you'll have to look at other archetypes. 

2 hours ago, Robin Graves said:

FFG sure seems to be pushing the legendaries with this deck:

Characters (3):
Hera Syndulla (elite), Admiral Ackbar,   Rebel Trooper
Battlefield (1):
Weapons Factory Alpha
Supports (11):
C-3PO (2), T-47 Airspeeder (2), Y-Wing (2), Ghost (2), Black One (1), U-Wing (2)
Upgrades (1):
A280 Blaster Rifle (1)

legendaries: 3 different ones, two of wich you need 2 of. Good luck pulling those Ghosts and U-wings from one box.

Especially when they're in 2 different expansions. Lol.