Payens

What is the bid for tournaments?

Every local tournament is going to be different.  The best lists almost always can be played both first or second player, and the only question is how many points is it going to be worth in a particular situation for the choice.

The 23 points mentioned above very well could happen anywhere, but that same guy who took 23 points one week could show up with a 3 point bid the next in a completely different list.

I think this is too meta dependent to give you truly good advice. In our neck of the woods, a 15 point bid is almost always enough. Others will undoubtedly comment that, in their area, you'll need to go 25+ to guarantee it. I personally can't fathom a bid over 20 points... you're leaving so much off the table at that point!

6 minutes ago, IronNerd said:

I think this is too meta dependent to give you truly good advice. In our neck of the woods, a 15 point bid is almost always enough. Others will undoubtedly comment that, in their area, you'll need to go 25+ to guarantee it. I personally can't fathom a bid over 20 points... you're leaving so much off the table at that point!

In my case it secured me a highish finish. 

The above advice is good, when bidding high (and don't do it for your first go) you really need to make that judgement call as to what your leaving behind. For me it was needed but my last tourney I finished a net second and my bid was around 18 poInrs

It varies based the area in my area lists that want to go first bid between 15-10, other list that would like to go first but don't depend on it go from the 5-1 point area I used to be the player that brought the big bid lists but as of late I have been building 400 point lists and I don't know if I'll ever go back to the mega bid builds.

2 minutes ago, Ginkapo said:

So did I.... I just would have enjoyed it a lot more if you hadnt outbid me with a heavy squadron list... 

It would appear Ffg agreed. That list is useless now with that big old nerf bat. 

I find there are two types of player - those who bid hard, and those who don't bother. So I like to put myself in the middle for tournament fleets - with 10-15 points, I'll outbid most of those who stick in the 390s, but I'm not giving up too much when I come up against some who's gone 370 or whatever. And if you design a list where you're happy with your own objectives, you don't end up too gutted when you come up against that guy.

Your bid should be dependent on two factors (IMO): list requirements, and meta requirements, in that order. If your list needs to go first (Clonisher, etc.), then the bid is determined by what can be trimmed without cutting into list effectiveness. That's always my rule, regardless of 1st/2nd player needs, what does the list need to do its job, and how do I get it there? Now, if you need to be able to choose first or second player, you should be more aggressive about what constitutes a need, versus a want. If the bid you end up with is around what your meta considers a first player bid, then you leave it alone. If it's significantly above, you have the choice of spending a few of those points for some extra tricks. That's how I would go about it.

Toronto Area is -  no bid 0-3,  reasonable bid 5-9, I need to go first 25ish (I've lost at 25, and been sharked at 21, etc).  I've seen 30 point bids here occasionally (but not competitively).  If you get outbid by a few points, and you had a high bid, you've probably already lost the game, badly, as you built into something that will not work well.  I figure first player is worth ~30 points overall.  After that it starts to become telling.

Very different depending on your area.  I've said this before but earlier this year at Regionals we were shocked to find the guys from Seattle bidding 10-15 points...to go second.  Apparently that was their meta at the time (and may still be?).  They did rather well overall so it worked for them!