khadorstrong

Is Mountain of Fire the end?

57 posts in this topic

I haven't played for a while, but I was thinking about starting to pick up many of the sets I'm missing, BUT then I was reading the synopsis of the latest Saga set coming out, and it makes it seem that this is the last thing being released. 
Plus there is no new cycle shown, is this the end of the game??

I think FFG will keep the game going for as long as it is profitable. The community activity around the game is still very active - by comparison, when FFG pulled the plug on Cthulu CCG its forums had something like 1 or 2 active threads each month. Also they just reprinted the core set, Mirkwood and Dwarrowdelf cycles, which indicates that there are still plenty of new players joining the game.

People have been speculating for years that the game would end when the final saga expansion was released, but the game existed before the sagas, so there is no reason it can't continue once they finish.

If FFG don't announce anything new at GenCon then it might be time to start worrying...

That's right! I am still hacking and slashing my way through Moria, so I've got a good few years ahead of gameplay ahead of me even if FFG finished the game with Mountain of Fire.

If the game did finish what would make me sad is that presumably the community would dwindle away as people move on to other games.

We seem to have indications that there is another cycle planned for release after the current one, both because the last pack of the current cycle was leaked and its rulebook hints at a future cycle, and because some of the product ID numbers seem to have left room for a full cycle's worth of additional packs.

None of that is conclusive, of course—FFG could theoretically decide to pull the plug on any of their unannounced games if felt they had a good reason to do so. But at least we can feel fairly confident that a new cycle is in development.

I haven't seen anything to indicate that the game is going away.

Let's hope that it isn't  the end, and we get to see Dale and the Withered Health. I still have visions of the last quest being heroes travelling to the Grey Havens, and the last card being a pic of the Undying Lands. Would be a fitting end!

GalaxyUC likes this

After the gray havens and the harad I am ready to be surprised. There are unexplored places near the Rhovanion, the Rohan, the peripheral regions of Gondor (Lamedon, Enfalas ...) and Eriador (Forochel) and completely new places, Iron Mountain, Rhun, Khand, Mordor. What to hold for a long time ...

4 hours ago, JonG said:

Let's hope that it isn't  the end, and we get to see Dale and the Withered Health. I still have visions of the last quest being heroes travelling to the Grey Havens, and the last card being a pic of the Undying Lands. Would be a fitting end!

Not if your heroes aren't Elves or ringbearers (or Gimli).

8 hours ago, Authraw said:

We seem to have indications that there is another cycle planned for release after the current one, both because the last pack of the current cycle was leaked and its rulebook hints at a future cycle, and because some of the product ID numbers seem to have left room for a full cycle's worth of additional packs.

None of that is conclusive, of course—FFG could theoretically decide to pull the plug on any of their unannounced games if felt they had a good reason to do so. But at least we can feel fairly confident that a new cycle is in development.

I haven't seen anything to indicate that the game is going away.

I am curious about the issue of the ID numbers. I have no clue how they work so this question is probably very dumb but does "there is room for at least one more cycle" mean there is no room for TWO more cycles with the current series of ID numbers? Seems strange.

I have also been curious about the lack in announcement of the next thing to come. As far as I remember FFG has been a little faster in the past (may be wrong) but if the story seems to be continuing judging from the rule book that seems a very strong hint that there were at least plans at some point to continue.

4 hours ago, Edheliad said:

Not if your heroes aren't Elves or ringbearers (or Gimli).

"And tales and rumours arose along the shores of the sea concerning mariners and men forlorn upon the waters who, by some fate or grace or favour of the valour, had entered in upon the straight way and seen the face of the world sink below them, and so had come to the lamplit quays of Avallone, or verily to the last beaches on the margin of Aman, and there had looked upon the White Mountain, dreadful and beautiful, before they died." (Silmarillion p339)

Maybe not quite the same, but it doesn't seem such a stretch that Heroes of renown would be allowed to leave ME. 

It's also an opportunity to enjoy Prof T's wonderful prose!

Sands of Harad was announced 7 July 2016.  City of Corsairs (last pack in Dreamchaser) was announced 8 Jun 2016.  City of Corsairs finally came out in October 2016.  So it looks like the next cycle announcement is delayed relative to this cycle (Crossings of Poros was announced 7 February), and I assume will be out within 2-3 months.  However, since we know the next cycle *is* coming, I'm not that worried about it.

1 hour ago, ParinorB said:

I am curious about the issue of the ID numbers. I have no clue how they work so this question is probably very dumb but does "there is room for at least one more cycle" mean there is no room for TWO more cycles with the current series of ID numbers? Seems strange.

Actually, I can't find anything on ID numbers.  From what I remember, the argument went "the end of the haradrim cycle was product #x, and mountain of fire is product number x+7, so there's a whole cycles worth of product numbers unaccounted for."

But crossings of poros is product number 61, and mountain of fire is 62, so either my memory is wrong or FFG changed their product numbers

11 hours ago, khadorstrong said:

is this the end of the game??

No. /thread

11 minutes ago, Onidsen said:

Actually, I can't find anything on ID numbers.  From what I remember, the argument went "the end of the haradrim cycle was product #x, and mountain of fire is product number x+7, so there's a whole cycles worth of product numbers unaccounted for."

But crossings of poros is product number 61, and mountain of fire is 62, so either my memory is wrong or FFG changed their product numbers

However Siege of Annuminas, the GenCon/Fellowship event quest from last year, has the product code 72, which leaves more than enough room for another cycle.

58 minutes ago, PocketWraith said:

No. /thread

However Siege of Annuminas, the GenCon/Fellowship event quest from last year, has the product code 72, which leaves more than enough room for another cycle.

That was it! I knew I was missing something, because I'm pretty sure that FFG doesn't mess with product numbers. Thanks!

Hmm...10 products in between the 2 - Thats a deluxe box, a cycle, and 3 left over. Future GenCon or Fellowship quests are more than likely to be post-72, so we may have two full cycles in development at the present time.

While it's possible that FFG could pull the plug on the game without releasing everything under development, the game is still selling very well, and still attracting new players. I do not find it likely. I expect there to be at least two full adventure cycles left in the game, and perhaps more.

Of course, while the gamer in me loves that idea, my pocketbook is less sanguine about the whole thing. But I try to keep my pocketbook quiet.

4 minutes ago, Onidsen said:

Hmm...10 products in between the 2 - Thats a deluxe box, a cycle, and 3 left over. Future GenCon or Fellowship quests are more than likely to be post-72, so we may have two full cycles in development at the present time.

There are actually 9 products between 62 and 72 (Because 72 is already "taken"). 7 of those 9 would fit a full cycle.

I'm going to guess that one more of those is a Scouring of the Shire POD (seems likely to me that they would have put it into development shortly after Mountain of Fire). If I'm right, that leaves room for one more product.

It will be interesting to see what product number this year's GenCon event has. Anyone want to place any bets? I'm guessing 71.

1 minute ago, Authraw said:

There are actually 9 products between 62 and 72 (Because 72 is already "taken"). 7 of those 9 would fit a full cycle.

Oh good heavens! I obviously need a nap, or something.

Story of my life - going through a 4-year degree in physics may have given me the ability to do advanced mathematics, but it ruined my ability to do basic arithmetic.

Bullroarer Took and Authraw like this

Onidsen I think you should watch the video here:

In it Caleb says that MoF is the last saga box but not the end of LOTR LCG.

And in this thread:

One of the lucky people who scored a copy of Crossing tells us where we are probably going next.

I don't think we'll keep up the same pace of material as before, but I do think the game is going to keep going.

Onidsen and rbaker1978 like this

1 hour ago, Bullroarer Took said:

I don't think we'll keep up the same pace of material as before, but I do think the game is going to keep going.

The pace has already slowed down to half what it was - Harad is releasing bimonthly, as opposed to the previous monthly (as near as I can find).

Whether we get another cycle or not, it seems as if FFG is shifting resources - both design and production - away from LOTR, and the game is in the home stretch.

I do enjoy the Millenialism that strikes this game towards the end of each cycle. :D It struck me that other LCGs that have been shut down tend to either lose their licence or be getting pretty creaky. Given this game has both the licence and a slower player card release speed, it still has some way to go. That is the real problem: how do we store it all? :/

Flrbb, ParinorB and Yepesnopes like this

I never particularly welcome seeing any "dead/dying/DEATH??" posts -- no offense to OP, but what *is* it about this game that spurs these thoughts? Yet I find it comforting that, when in other expandable game communities I follow, the main issue always seems to be whinging about the state of the meta, this or that is OP, the game hasn't been fun for n cycles... the issue here is mostly "I love this game, and I'm hand-wringing about something happening to it, don't take it from me!"

A far better problem to have, IMHO.

Authraw, Mr_Underhill and jnicol like this

There are still some pretty major gaps in the roster (heroes and allies) it will be annoying if it dies before they're filled.

Posted (edited)

While there is nothing that points to the death of this game, no matter how conclusive it feels that the Saga is coming to a close (all tales must have an end after all) - there is something to be said about how long the game can be maintained in it's present form.

I am talking about the shear amount of product that has been released and how difficult it is to keep it in stock. It is completely possible to find only packs and no deluxe expansion in a store, making the packs unplayable. That is very off-putting for a gamer and perhaps said gamer is curious about the possibility to play a co-op card game look towards the very much more manageable Arkham Horror LCG.

Until FFG gives us a possibility to buy a whole cycle in a single box after a cycle has been completely released, to make it easier for both the customers and the stores, this type of game has a limited lifespan. For completionists, and lets face it - Tolkien fans are like that - to begin this game right now is something of a nightmare, not least from an economical point of view.

And finally, the game is beginning to show it's age. There is just so much that can be done within the games framwork, as opposed to Arkham Horror LCG that has a much more open design and built-in mechanics that allow for the adventures to be designed in a multitude of ways. LoTR quests are saddled with the (monotone) Quest phase and the (boring) Locations and no clear campaign structure, while AH LCG has solved all that in a very beautiful way.

If the game would end to be replaced by something fresh and new set in Middle Earth, I for one would welcome it. I have around a 1000 hours of LoTR LCG under my belt and still come back for more each week, but it would be nice to get a game in Tolkienverse that dripped of theme as much as Arkham Horror LCG does, and a fresh start would taste like Lembas in this old elfs mouth :)

Edited by Mixxathon
donkler likes this

So Lotr Lcg 2nd edition? Not likely just yet, but I would be very happy to see it some day :)

a combination and bettered version of Lotr and arkham game system would be my favorite game. But not likely to happen. Game of Thrones managet to do it because the tv series did help a lot to gather new players.

Harder to see why new players would pick up new version on Lotr though. Well maybe we will get Silmarillion card game with those new rules ;)

that would be avesome!

I would definitely be cool with a reboot at some point. Just as long as it wasn't another competitive collectible dice game.