Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr. Brogger

Creating the Toad King!

250 posts in this topic

Would it not be cool to have a Toad King moving around the board as the reaper, just making things more toady ?

I have played with the thougth to sculp a miniature for Toad King and make a card for him as the reaper.

I startet this topic to discus how the rules should be for a Toad King. It would feel a bit official if the rules for him is made in a forum by Talisman fans gui%C3%B1o.gif

My own sugestion for Toad King rules are:

• He moves as the Reaper ( on a 1 you those to move the Reaper or Toad King )
  • When he lands on a character one of the following things wil happen:
  1. Toad for 3 turns.
  2. cast a "swamp spell" - Mis one turn.
  3. cast a "swamp spell" - For two turns you can only move one space.
  4. Nothing happens
  5. Send Toad King to another character.
  6. Toad King likes you - Take a gift: craft, strenght, life, spell or fate.

Hope to get a lot of sugestions.

cheer

Hah !

Mr Brogger has finally made a topic for the Toad King gran_risa.gif

Nice workaplauso.gif

PS: I look forward to the Toad King miniaturebabeo.gif

Is there images of Toad King from previous Talisman Games. I think I remember one in 3. edition from forrest, but not sure.

Can someone post picture/pictures of Toad King ?

Just for my inspiration to make a new art of him.

And by the way, what is peoples opinion on having a Toad King as an NPC ?

cheer

TOAD KING

When the Toad King lands on your character, You must roll 1 die

1. The Toad king is angry : You changed to a Toad for 3 turns.
2.  Frog Song : Miss 1 turn
3. Absorb - The Toad King steals a random spell from you. If you don't have a spell, he gives you a spell if your Craft permits this.
4. Silence: You cannot cast spells in your next 2 turns
5.Send Toad King to another character.
6.Toad King likes you - Take a gift: craft, strenght, life, spell or fate.

However, If the Toad King lands on your space while you are a Toad, he will recover you, and you get 1 Strength or Craft

-

I have just add some idea''s for the Toad King

I hope you like it gui%C3%B1o.gif

Mr. Brogger said:

Is there images of Toad King from previous Talisman Games. I think I remember one in 3. edition from forrest, but not sure.

Can someone post picture/pictures of Toad King ?

Toad King from Heraut & Games Workshop 2th edition

heraut8.gif

Mr. Brogger said:

Thank you Velhart,

That is a funny Toad King from 2th edition, but is there not one in 3th edition as well ?

No

Sadly, there is no Toad King in 3th edition

-

But it would be nice if a Toad King adventure card will be made for the Forest expansion, or the Toad King npc character off coursegui%C3%B1o.gif

Velhart said:

TOAD KING

When the Toad King lands on your character, You must roll 1 die

2.  Frog Song : Miss 1 turn
3. Absorb - The Toad King steals a random spell from you. If you don't have a spell, he gives you a spell if your Craft permits this.
4. Silence: You cannot cast spells in your next 2 turns
5.Send Toad King to another character.
6.Toad King likes you - Take a gift: craft, strenght, life, spell or fate.

However, If the Toad King lands on your space while you are a Toad, he will recover you, and you get 1 Strength or Craft

-

I have just add some idea''s for the Toad King

I hope you like it gui%C3%B1o.gif

Good sugestions gran_risa.gif

Mr. Brogger said:

Velhart said:

This is a good idea, but the Toad King will probly never land on you. It could be if you land on him as a frog ?

Mr. Brogger said:

Mr. Brogger said:

Velhart said:

This is a good idea, but the Toad King will probly never land on you. It could be if you land on him as a frog ?

Oh you are right..happy.gif

I have just write up that idea, but did not think it through..

Your idea is better.

If a toad lands on the toad king, then he can change you to normal, and you must ignore the space..

The Toad king does not like fake toads gui%C3%B1o.gif

On top of that, i think it;s better that you do not get a bonus for strength and craft then ( if the toad king changed you to normal)

such a bonus is already included if the toad king lands on you and you roll a 6..

I have another idea:

• As toad you may move Toad King every turn.
  • If Toad King lands on a character, that caharacter is turned into a toad for 3 turns. (Not if character is already toaded)

That makes the Toad King munch different from the Reaper.

Mr. Brogger said:

I have another idea:

• If Toad King lands on a character, that caharacter is turned into a toad for 3 turns. (Not if character is already toaded)

I agree with number one.

Then the Toad King can still land on the toad.

Rules

•  At the end of your turn while you are a toad, roll a die to move the Toad King 
  •     If the Toad King lands on a toad character, he will recover you to normal, But if the toad king lands on a normal character, then he must roll the die to see what will happen to your character
  • everytime when a character rolls a 1 for his move, he must moves the toad king at the end of his turn

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I still like to roll a die to see what will happen to your character.

I am not sure yet, if he will activate if you roll a 1. how about a other  number?.. (somebody else idea was a 6..

Velhart said:

Mr. Brogger said:

I have another idea:

I agree with number one.

Then the Toad King can still land on the toad.

Rules

•  At the end of your turn while you are a toad, roll a die to move the Toad King 
  •     If the Toad King lands on a toad character, he will recover you to normal, But if the toad king lands on a normal character, then he must roll the die to see what will happen to your character
  • everytime when a character rolls a 1 for his move, he must moves the toad king at the end of his turn

-

I still like to roll a die to see what will happen to your character.

I am not sure yet, if he will activate if you roll a 1. how about a other  number?.. (somebody else idea was a 6..

I actually like that he only moves when someone is toad.

I agree with you that a character must make a dice roll to see what happen if landed on by Toad King.

Not sure if I like him to convert characters from toad to normal.

Mr. Brogger said:

Velhart said:

Mr. Brogger said:

I agree with you that a character must make a dice roll to see what happen if landed on by Toad King.

Oke, what is your idea, what will happen when a toad king lands on a toad..?

I still like the idea that if the toad king lands on a normal character, that the character must roll a die to see what will happen.

If the toad King only moves when someone is a toad, then he is not so active during the game.

Velhart said:

Mr. Brogger said:

Velhart said:

Mr. Brogger said:

Oke, what is your idea, what will happen when a toad king lands on a toad..?

I still like the idea that if the toad king lands on a normal character, that the character must roll a die to see what will happen.

If the toad King only moves when someone is a toad, then he is not so active during the game.

You are right about the Toad kings low activity in game with that rule for moving .

Here is a sugestion:

Toad King

• Start location ?
  • Move ? - maybe the roll of 1 or 6 is good + the move every round if someone is toad.
  • If the Toad King lands on a character, roll one die to see how the Toad King react.
  1.  The Toad king is angry : You changed to a Toad for 3 turns.
  2.  Frog Song : Miss 1 turn
  3. Absorb - The Toad King steals a random spell from you. If you don't have a spell, he gives you a spell if your Craft permits this.
  4. Silence: You cannot cast spells in your next 2 turns
  6. Toad King likes you - Take a gift: craft, strenght, life, spell or fate.
  • If Toad King lands on a character who is toaded he converts the character back to normal, but that character must roll a dice on the Toad Kings reaction table. (Maybe Toad King better like you as toad and converts you again partido_risa.gif)

Cool ideas, guys, but why would the Toad King give a lot of bonuses to people? I think he should at most give out Fate and Gold. After all, he isn't as dangerous as the Reaper, so his gifts should be less valuable.

I love the idea that he moves whenever someone is a Toad, but he should move at other times as well. Maybe he could move whenever someone rolls a 2, to make it more likely an NPC will move each turn?

Lubricus said:

Cool ideas, guys, but why would the Toad King give a lot of bonuses to people? I think he should at most give out Fate and Gold. After all, he isn't as dangerous as the Reaper, so his gifts should be less valuable.

I love the idea that he moves whenever someone is a Toad, but he should move at other times as well. Maybe he could move whenever someone rolls a 2, to make it more likely an NPC will move each turn?

Thank you for joining in gran_risa.gif

It is some good points you came with.

Here is a new rule setup:

Toad King

* Cursed Clade
* Whenever a player rolls a 6 for moving, that player may move Toad King as well. When a player is toaded he may move Toad King every turn.
* If the Toad King lands on a character, roll one die to see how the Toad King react.

2. Frog Song : Miss 1 turn
3. Absorb - The Toad King steals a random spell from you. If you don't have a spell, he gives you a spell if your Craft permits this.
6. Toad King likes you - Chose a spell from the deck and shuffle both the spell deck and discard pile.

* If Toad King lands on a character who is toaded he converts the character back to normal, but that character must roll a dice on the Toad Kings reaction table.

Mr. Brogger said:

Thank you for joining in gran_risa.gif

It is some good points you came with.

Here is a new rule setup:

Toad King

* Cursed Clade
* Whenever a player rolls a 6 for moving, that player may move Toad King as well. When a player is toaded he may move Toad King every turn.
* If the Toad King lands on a character, roll one die to see how the Toad King react.

2. Frog Song : Miss 1 turn
6. Toad King likes you - Chose a spell from the deck and shuffle both the spell deck and discard pile.

* If Toad King lands on a character who is toaded he converts the character back to normal, but that character must roll a dice on the Toad Kings reaction table.

Excellent! I'd love to have that NPC fouling up the game! gran_risa.gif

Now we also need a good storie for the Toad King. I know there are some good scribent in the forum - maybe they can tell the Toad Kings story gran_risa.gif

My plan is:

1.  Design a card for Toad King like the Grim Reaper. (I have some good contacts to get print in good quality)
  2. Make a little rule clarificatin set (A4 size) with the Toad Kings story as well.
  3. Sculping Toad King miniature and replicate it.

And when finished: Toad King expansion released (made by Talisman fans).

cheer

Lubricus said:

Lubricus said:

In my opinion the Toad King should give a lot of bonuses to people, such as strengh, craft and lives etc.

He seems to be a powerful and magical creature. And I think he should be generous to the people he likes.

Beeing turned into a toad is almost as bad as roll 1 on the Reaper-chart. At least in my gaming group. If someone new to the game sits to the table, we always tell them, the only thing realy to fear in the World of Talisman is when you get turned into a toad.demonio.gif Loosing everything and beeing just one step away from certain death for three rounds, sounds horrible to me.

The Reaper offers you a short, painless and clean end. Not to comparegui%C3%B1o.gif

Anyway, this is just my opinion.

But the whole idea about the Toad King and the concept so far is genius!! I'm looking forward to see Mr.Broggers design for the King.

May it rain Toads upon the world of Talisman!partido_risa.gif

Okay, so this post isn't completely on topic, but some of you might find a moment's amusement on these pages...

http://www.totallytoad.com/toadofmonth.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/madaise/2612481110/
http://a0.vox.com/6a00e398c0295b000100fad6b07fe80005-500pi
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghostmonk/2906378664/

And no, I really don't have much useful to add.  I think the King would favor toads, not characters.  So in knowing that other toads hopping about are characters, he's not going to given him them squat. He'd certainly change them back, though, rather than have their despicble antics sully the good "toad" name.  And trying to turn it into another Reaper in any way is losing sight of the concept and where it comes from.... the Toad.... not another excuse for over loaded gains and losses.

I would say any time an adventurer rolls a 1 for movement, it must first roll to move "King Toad" towards itself by the shortest route. If the King's move takes it to or beyond that adventurer, the King stops short on that adventurer. Psychic Combat ensues (the King has a Craft of 7); if the adventurer loses, the adventurer becomes a toad. If it wins... well who knows what happens, since the King is not like the Reaper and shouldn't be invulnerable.  Whatever the outcome, the adventurer then moves its 1 space and finishes its turn.

If the King when moved finishes on another character, that character also must face King Toad.

If an adventurer is a Toad, it rolls for movement anyway though it can only move 1 space.  If it rolls a 1 or a 6, it may move King Toad towards itself by the shortest route.  Should the King land on another adventurer, see above.  Should the King land on or pass over the toaded adventurer, he stops short and that adventurer ceases to be a toad on its next turn.

All of this is much more in theme for the persona.  It's simple, fearful, and funny.  And that's all it really needs.

I might add that in Psychic Combat (the way all magical beings fight in talisman), if the adventurer rolls a natural 1, it loses no matter what.

Realy nice JC aplauso.gif

You have brought in some very good and new ideas. I realy like your idea to make it possible to fight the Toad King in combat. I agree with you that he should not be invulnerable like the reaper.

I like that idea when losing to him... BANG - you are toaded. and with a craft of 7 (maybe 8?) he will sure be more fearfull like this.

I like him being simple and the way he moves should be simple so he don't slow the game.

Also very good and funny links. There were also some good inspiration to get there.

Thank you very munch for joining in with this new concept happy.gif

cheer

I also think King Toad should be an Adventure card that is drawn rather than an entity/NPC/Perona-on-the-move like the Reaper.  He should be a surprise appearance, just like being toaded.

If one of him is not enough for the gradual build up we've seen in adventure decks, then perhaps consider the Toad royal "family:" Queen Toada, Prince Toadling, and Princess Toadena.  Each could be the same as the Toad King or slightly different in how it operates.  I could see Prince Toadling being a "Battle" instead of a Psychic Combat... or something. Princess Toadena and Queen Toada might be more benign in some ways.  And possibly when one is defeated, it is removed to the discard pile, though they should all be classed as Strangers and not Enemies. 

But that's off on another tangent.  Obviously they would need character cards, since all that explanation wouldn't easily fit on an Adventure card.

I like the idea of the Toad King, but am a bit sketchy about what his abilities might be as a Character. I shall give it some thought though as there is no real rush!

Just to note that Dark Sword Miniatures already does a pretty cool range of Toad/Frogs. Including a whole Royal Court...

http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/

p_ltd_2004_ploogak_p_s.jpg

I do like the idea of a themed set of Toads though... perhaps rather than a set similar to the 2nd Edition Ranger, Wizard etc you could do some themed on the expansions out so far? The Ice Toad from Reaper/Dark Heavens gave me the idea. I saw him at Gen Con last year and he is a cracker!

http://www.reapermini.com/

ice_toad.jpg