Shraken

Your not getting a Biggs fix.

10 hours ago, clanofwolves said:

No @Shraken, he's getting an errata, that's for sure. The crazy Reinforce and Selflessness are his replacements; what the fix is on poor old twisted Biggs is --to allow him to be the hero as he is in cannon and not the scared little doormat-- is yet to drop; but it's coming my friend, oh it's coming.

This.

Biggs has been, well, big forever, however FFG has been adding additional Rebel tools that can be used in place of Biggs to protect important assets: Rex (pilot), Kanan (pilot), Lowhhrick, Jan Ors (crew), Draw their Fire, Selflessness, Tactical Jammer and similar tools. They have not prevented these from being able to be stacked with the existing Biggs, which I believe has been done to not cause too much trauma to the Rebel game all at once via yanking the rug out from under them.

However, I believe that Biggs is due for a reckoning now. There are so many defensive tools for Rebels that Biggs is no longer necessary and as demonstrated by the Rebel Jankyard, there needs to be something done.

Personally, I have wanted him banned for quite awhile but if they just change his pilot ability to be something that does not force the opponent to lose control of their own ships by merely existing, I would be more than likely ok with the mustached wonder continuing to fly.

Edited by kris40k

8 hours ago, Sasajak said:

*optimism

Spelling rage. :D

You may have a point about Biggs.  The developers have stated don't like errata as it goes against the philosophy of a printed game.  If they can deal with it in other ways they will do.  Shame though if this is what it's all about... will we ever see a TIE swarm again?

I was tempted to put you're as well so I could chuckle myself to sleep.

I'd like to think Lowhhrick and Selflessness are a replacement for Biggs, not a complement to him.  However I'd like to think a number of perfectly reasonable and obvious game balance things will come true, and they rarely seem to.

There seems to be particularly strong rumours this time.  Could it be that some playtesters are telling their friends so they can begin practicing for a post-nerf meta and gain an advantage at Nationals?  Surely they wouldn't do something like that, would they?

1 hour ago, Kehl_Aecea said:

Am... am I the only Rebel player who doesn't use Biggs in a list? Am I playing the game wrong?! Wait... I don't even have a K-Wing!

I think I've used him once or twice in almost 4 years of playing the game.

The key is to have your ships all have similar worth/value/etc so there isn't one clear ship your opponent wants to focus down first.

Either that or or do what the other factions do and keep that key ship in the back, or flanking, or just accept it will likely die first and do as much damage as you can before it goes down. 

Didn't we get a Biggs fix? He use to always be the first ship targeted and was quickly wiped off the board.  He is still often the first ship targeted, but now with Low and selflessness, he can last much longer. 

I think a lot of folks have touched on the synergy part that makes Biggs a vital asset for the Rebels. I think a fix for him is an "IF" not a "when" as others seem to think. There are a lot of data points we are missing. Keep in mind, FFGs job with X-Wing is to make money. This is a good thing! They have shown their willingness to invest in this game  so more money means more ships, more scenarios, etc, etc.

We need to know what sells more: The Force Awakens Core Set( FACS) or the Original Core Set (OCS). It is nearly impossible to find any X-wings out there in tournaments who are not Biggs but if FFG still sells more OCS then it would make sense to make that set valuable to the competitive Rebel Player. Most X-Wing players do not go to tournaments but FFG saying "Yeah, those cards, they don't say what you think they say" is just annoying.

So I think one solution was to let Ordinance slip by Biggs. This didn't really take him away from the board but it did make for a way to get around him. Plus as time goes on, ordinance are getting more popular and the Rebels have a lot of fun options that do not need Biggs (Side bar: Seriously, has anyone else tried Poetensity? I love it) 

Another big complaint is that the game is called X-Wing and we barely see any out there. Well, to fix this, I think we should rename the game "Biggs dies in the end" lol

But seriously, Biggs puts the X-Wing in X-Wing right now. So a "fix" to Biggs would really hurt the game as a whole. We would need the sales numbers but when you have youtubers talking about the game and using ships no one knows about then potential players will say "yeah, this game is not for me." So IF a Biggs fix is in the works, then it will come at the same time as the magic "X-Wing" fix release. I don't think anyone would mind if Biggs was gone if we had solid Ace-Wing lists consisting of all X-Wings (Sorry Norra).

Personally, I think Biggs is hear to stay but the players will start phasing him out eventually. Pava does a great job of replacing Biggs based on the cost comparison.  Arc-Dodgers do not really need him nor do large ships. Biggs is a VERY cost effective options in a ship that needs love. He is a bullet sponge that gives Rebels a chance to get their aces to the end game. Yes, he can certainly do A LOT with 3 red dice but if the X-Wing was that potent of a ship then we would see a lot more of them.

Maybe we will get a unique card that lets other factions have a Biggs ship. Who knows what the future holds. The important thing is that FFG extends the life of this game as much as possible so we get a chance at seeing what the future holds. 

As a Rebel player that uses Biggs in a lot of lists, I understand how important he is for the Rebel players. I think it is far more important that FFG focuses on more variety in the competitive scene than it is for them to focus on Biggs. I HATE to say it (I really don't but my Aturi pilot does) but Imperials need more love.

Biggs just got a fix in the form of Lowhhrick. He is now better than ever. Clearly working as intended and it is simply part of the game.

.... and when did torpmasters stop being a thing? Target lock and kill whomever you wish. Biggs can be worked around.

3 minutes ago, Mep said:

Biggs just got a fix in the form of Lowhhrick. He is now better than ever. Clearly working as intended and it is simply part of the game.

.... and when did torpmasters stop being a thing? Target lock and kill whomever you wish. Biggs can be worked around.

But then you are flying Jumpmasters, and nobody wants that.

1 minute ago, kris40k said:

But then you are flying Jumpmasters, and nobody wants that.

True. They are the best platform for anything other than bombing .... or are they (looking at you Cad Bane), however there are other ordnance carriers out there. Just in case no one noticed, FFG really, really wants you to use missiles and bombs. It's like they are planning a gold plated bomb token SKU soon or something.

22 hours ago, Joe Boss Red Seven said:

FIXED... asd far as SCUM are concerned.

:lol:

SCUM%2BTHWEEK%2BWCD.PNG

Lol! It's great how the faction that probably didn't need an answer to Biggs got one. FFG is just trolling at this point. Seriously though, I sincerely hope everyone gets all the nerfs and buffs they hope for for Christmas. As long as I get more ships I'm happy.

If you've got the ability to target lock and fire missiles at the junkyard squad, you don't lock onto Biggs.

Given a chance, you blow away Lowhhrick.

• Killing a 14 point ship with 9-12 points of ordnance is kind of overkill and a waste of your alpha strike salvo, plus he's agility 3v and probably evading if your opponent thinks he might be a target, since he doesn't need to hit to trigger his ability.
  • Jess is hard to hit with 2 rerollable green dice, and Lowhhrick throwing an evade in there as needed.
  • Jess can draw off hits from Lowhhrick with selflessness, but if she does, that damage bypasses her green dice, and she's likely to be taking 4 hits, not the 2 that slip through R4-D6 after Biggs is finished. Plus, depending on the formation your opponent flies, Jess is going to be at range 1 of Biggs but might not be at range 1 of Lowhhrick, because she's at the front/inside (PS3) whilst the wookie is at the back/outside (PS5) on the other side of Rex (at PS4) and Biggs (who almost by definition will be in the centre).
Edited by Magnus Grendel

6 hours ago, benskywalker said:

Lol! It's great how the faction that probably didn't need an answer to Biggs got one. FFG is just trolling at this point. Seriously though, I sincerely hope everyone gets all the nerfs and buffs they hope for for Christmas. As long as I get more ships I'm happy.

Gimmie dem ships... gimmie dem ships... gimmie us dem ships... DAMMIT WE WANT MORE SHIPS!!!

:lol:

22 hours ago, Duskwalker said:

We have been over this: rebels can NOT function without Biggs. There entire schtick is synergy and if they can not protect the one good ship they can afford in a 3 ship list from being focused down in the first two turn of shooting they are screwed. If you take away Biggs, all that remains are two ship lists with turrets.     

While your argument may be true, I'm fairly sure the same thing exists for the other factions and they don't have Biggs. Scum and Imperials are still limited in the number of competitive lists they can field, and the number of highly competive ships in their arsenal. 

Before Palp was changed Imperials felt like they couldn't take Palp. 

I'm not going to say I want to see 2 ship Turret builds everywhere (though it already is a significant part of the competitive metagame), but I don't think the argument that Rebels won't be able to field anything is terribly valid. They will be able to field something, probably a fair number of things, possibly not all of them 2 ship Turret builds. It's not like the other two factions have a long list of competitive archetypes either. 

X-Wing will hopefully adapt if he isn't changed and Rebels will certainly adapt if he is. 

As for what that change would be. Personally once I saw Selflessness I thought that would be a nice way to do Biggs. So my change is basically to give Biggs an EPT and Tomax Bren's pilot ability (or a slightly modified version). That way Biggs can take Selflessness and use it multiple times to tank damage. It means you probably shoot Biggs first anyway so it's similar to what we have now. The added benefit is that you actually can kit Biggs out in all sorts of other ways like Crackshot and build a completely different type of ship. It's certainly more exciting than what he is now. 

I do appreciate the idea of Biggs, but this game really doesn't suit the idea of an MMO Raid party. 

1 hour ago, Magnus Grendel said:

If you've got the ability to target lock and fire missiles at the junkyard squad, you don't lock onto Biggs.

Given a chance, you blow away Lowhhrick.

• Killing a 14 point ship with 9-12 points of ordnance is kind of overkill and a waste of your alpha strike salvo, plus he's agility 3v and probably evading if your opponent thinks he might be a target, since he doesn't need to hit to trigger his ability.
  • Jess is hard to hit with 2 rerollable green dice, and Lowhhrick throwing an evade in there as needed.
  • Jess can draw off hits from Lowhhrick with selflessness, but if she does, that damage bypasses her green dice, and she's likely to be taking 4 hits, not the 2 that slip through R4-D6 after Biggs is finished. Plus, depending on the formation your opponent flies, Jess is going to be at range 1 of Biggs but might not be at range 1 of Lowhhrick, because she's at the front/inside (PS3) whilst the wookie is at the back/outside (PS5) on the other side of Rex (at PS4) and Biggs (who almost by definition will be in the centre).

You target whatever has Selflessness, because you're not going to kill anything else because Selflessness.

6 minutes ago, DodgingArcs said:

While your argument may be true, I'm fairly sure the same thing exists for the other factions and they don't have Biggs. Scum and Imperials are still limited in the number of competitive lists they can field, and the number of highly competive ships in their arsenal. 

True, but there is an important difference: Imps and Scum can bring 2-3 self-reliant ships in a 3 ship list. Rebels can't. All there aces cost 40+ points, so most Rebel 3-ship lists are ace+support/control+Biggs. I have said befor, that the key to fix Rebels is not to remove Biggs, it is to give alternatives to him and FFG seems to go into that direction with Selflessness and Lowhhrick, but right not they are used more in tandem with Biggs rather then as an alternatives.