SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

Here’s why I like the current tack the Krayts are on: I want this game to be a fast-paced game of starfighter combat, like what I thought I was buying into when I picked up that blue core set on clearance at Target. I want dials and maneuvers and arcs to matter at the tournament level.

The reason why I want this to matter at the tournament level is that tournaments are nearly the only chance I get to play. Casual nights are either too far away or to difficult to attend for me. Tournaments are held on the days I can get away from the house. So when I pay my entry fee, I would really like to get in four or five enjoyable games of X-wing. I didn’t sign up for a Magic tournament. I don’t want to lose to card combos.

I think that’s where the Krayts are coming from, and I like to hear that opinion voiced by others. 

7 hours ago, Tlfj200 said:

I am honestly and genuinely still wrestling with that. I do actually take this feedback and reflect on it, so regardless of any future decision I make, I am listening, and appreciate your input (even if we disagree at the moment).

Complete opposite sentiment from me. I thoroughly enjoy your drunken salty ramblings and often find we're on the same page.

So if the game is making you miserable then get out but as long as you're playing please don't stop pointing out ways that it could be better.

52 minutes ago, Makaze said:

Complete opposite sentiment from me. I thoroughly enjoy your drunken salty ramblings and often find we're on the same page.

So if the game is making you miserable then get out but as long as you're playing please don't stop pointing out ways that it could be better.

Just remember to stay sober enough so we can understand you.

3 hours ago, Dismal Scientist said:

Here’s why I like the current tack the Krayts are on: I want this game to be a fast-paced game of starfighter combat, like what I thought I was buying into when I picked up that blue core set on clearance at Target. I want dials and maneuvers and arcs to matter at the tournament level.

The reason why I want this to matter at the tournament level is that tournaments are nearly the only chance I get to play. Casual nights are either too far away or to difficult to attend for me. Tournaments are held on the days I can get away from the house. So when I pay my entry fee, I would really like to get in four or five enjoyable games of X-wing. I didn’t sign up for a Magic tournament. I don’t want to lose to card combos.

I think that’s where the Krayts are coming from, and I like to hear that opinion voiced by others. 

That's refreshing to hear.  Conversation we've been having in the background, but I'm not sure has been recorded is basically "Is it too late?"  Have all the players who liked firing arcs left, because they got sick of stupid fat regenerating turrets throwing bombs everywhere?  If FFG "fixed" it all overnight, would EVERYONE just be gone at that point?

I don't think so, but I also think it's a race against the clock.  At some point the majority of the player base will be people that want to play the silly combo game it's been turning into (on accident, I think.  I think we all know most of this wasn't designed to work like this) and will be upset if it goes BACK to a game about firing arcs and outbluffing/guessing/planning.

1 hour ago, Makaze said:

I love salty Travis.  Glad it's not just me

So I played my first game with 3BQD today to try it out and it felt really fun. Planning out maneuvers with the Gunboats that attacked from multiple sides and creating an inescapable area of Harpoons felt way more awesome than I was expecting. I underestimated how good it can felt to win again with small base ships that care about firing arcs. 

Edited by RStan

6 minutes ago, Heimdall Ulf said:

And in Denver, Miranda's don't need to worry about the board edge either!

Thweek op.

So I just ran a couple practice matches against Tweek as soon as I heard the news it beat Miranda.

Im considering quitting the game now.

Thweek keeps stealing my limited pilot skill and ability agency. It even says he can do it on the **** card. And then there two other cards that explain in detail how to steal your opponents agency. Followed by a disrespect token that you are forced to carry around next to your ship all game for no reason.

I miss the days when my Pilot Skills and Ability belonged to me not my opponent. 

What was FFG thinking!!! 

Edited by Boom Owl

16 minutes ago, Heimdall Ulf said:

And in Denver, Miranda's don't need to worry about the board edge either!

Thweek op.

Actually, that guy was banned and banished from the community and the game store isn't hosting any FFG tournaments anytime soon.  Denver has really cracked down on that type of stuff since then.

Edited by Do I need a Username

I'm starting to think that a lot of the problem we have in the game when it comes to the perception of lists being fun or unfun, is because there is a large amount of people who never played the game where small based ships with arcs really mattered. I started playing the game right before wave 8 and I feel like I got to experience a little bit of arcs and guessing being relevant playing crack swarm, but then I got  a lot of Turret combo wing from Dengaroo onwards.

So, I feel like I can find enjoyment playing most things whether they are turrets, defense, bombs, or arc dodgers. But for the people who played the games for years where arcs and guessing matters, they see this game full of bombs and hyper defense and don't see the same game they fell in love with. However, people who started after me probably didn't experience much where arced ships were the dominant strategy so they have been competing with turrets, defense, and bombs the whole time and don't see a problem with it

55 minutes ago, Brunas said:

At some point the majority of the player base will be people that want to play the silly combo game it's been turning into (on accident, I think.  I think we all know most of this wasn't designed to work like this) and will be upset if it goes BACK to a game about firing arcs and outbluffing/guessing/planning.

The longer it is turret/bomb wing, the more players will be part of the community that like it and who joined because of it.

These are people who never flew or saw a TIE swarm or Soontir. They started with turretwing and stayed. They liked what they got.

The longer it takes the more of them are part of the community, and they will be rightfully upset. Because then the reason they joined the game will be removed to restore why we joined the game.

Seriously I quit.

This won a regional?

Thweek didnt just win.

It carried the entire list.

My brain cant accept it.

I have seen raw power like this only once before. 

Its name was Leebo. 

Im out.

Thweek + StarViper Mk.II + Autothrusters
Karthakk Pirate + Tactician + Long-Range Scanners
Inaldra + Crack Shot + Pulsed Ray Shield + Ion Cannon
Cartel Brute + Long-Range Scanners
(98)

Edited by Boom Owl

11 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

The longer it is turret/bomb wing, the more players will be part of the community that like it and who joined because of it.

These are people who never flew or saw a TIE swarm or Soontir. They started with turretwing and stayed. They liked what they got.

The longer it takes the more of them are part of the community, and they will be rightfully upset. Because then the reason they joined the game will be removed to restore why we joined the game.

My old TO runs an amazing story leauge, it's very back to basics and wave 3 esque.  Those of us who have been around a while adore it. A newer player was upset and venting because only having dial+action felt very limiting, and there were almost no card interactions dictating the game. Strange how we can look at the same game and see different things.

14 minutes ago, catachanninja said:

My old TO runs an amazing story leauge, it's very back to basics and wave 3 esque.  Those of us who have been around a while adore it. A newer player was upset and venting because only having dial+action felt very limiting, and there were almost no card interactions dictating the game. Strange how we can look at the same game and see different things.

Exactly, that‘s a very good example.

So who is wrong?

We spent a lot of money under the impression that arcs&dials are what we get to play. And that was true until it was less true because of combos, bombs, turrets making them less important.

They spent probably less but still a lot of money under the impression that combos, bombs and turrets are what they get to play. And that is true, but a small but vocal minority (or at least that‘s probably their perception) of long time players keeps calling for change of elements that they really like.

And FFG tries to juggle all of them at the same time.

8 hours ago, Brunas said:

That's refreshing to hear.  Conversation we've been having in the background, but I'm not sure has been recorded is basically "Is it too late?"  Have all the players who liked firing arcs left, because they got sick of stupid fat regenerating turrets throwing bombs everywhere?  If FFG "fixed" it all overnight, would EVERYONE just be gone at that point?

I don't think so, but I also think it's a race against the clock.  At some point the majority of the player base will be people that want to play the silly combo game it's been turning into (on accident, I think.  I think we all know most of this wasn't designed to work like this) and will be upset if it goes BACK to a game about firing arcs and outbluffing/guessing/planning.

Yeah, some of us late comers still prefer the dial and planning style of the game and are still hanging on. I was actually starting to take my foot off the gas and slowing up my approach to the game this summer, deciding to pretty much give up the competitive play aspect. Of course, that's when I actually started winning so...

I'd agree though that time here is an issue for FFG. Assuming they even want to go back to a time when dial planning was the key. You guys have actually spoken to the Devs, so would have a better read on them, but my take is that they are coming up with ideas they think are fun... and their definitions may not be the same as our own.

That said, I just had a blast flying four Red Sqdn T-65s with flight assist astromechs (and a pair of seismics) at an Original Trilogy tournament this past weekend. Only went 2-2, but it was my Imperial list that failed (and my poor play with TIE Fighters.) X-Wings on top!

You haven't truly lived until you've taken a 1 hull Carnor Jax and dumpstered 2 full health TLT Y-wings for the win.  Yes, there was a time where you flew by the seat of your pant, made educated gambles on setting dials, and lived off of good decisions, positioning and a bit of luck.

8 hours ago, Boom Owl said:

Seriously I quit.

This won a regional?

Thweek didnt just win.

It carried the entire list.

My brain cant accept it.

I have seen raw power like this only once before. 

Its name was Leebo. 

Im out.

Thweek + StarViper Mk.II + Autothrusters
Karthakk Pirate + Tactician + Long-Range Scanners
Inaldra + Crack Shot + Pulsed Ray Shield + Ion Cannon
Cartel Brute + Long-Range Scanners
(98)

Weird stuff does occasionally win a regional, but it seems well teched for the meta in a lot of ways.    That said, with one less player at the regional, we probably don't hear about this list as it doesn't make the cut --- crazy how stuff works.

1 hour ago, AlexW said:

Weird stuff does occasionally win a regional, but it seems well teched for the meta in a lot of ways.    That said, with one less player at the regional, we probably don't hear about this list as it doesn't make the cut --- crazy how stuff works.

If it was only a cut to top 8, 4 of those were QD and 3 Nu's, no NymRandas!  The 1st and 2nd players were #9 and #10.