Jump to content
SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, player3010587 said:

My problem is that I run Kestal like a 1st edition autoblaster: what I roll is what you take. For that I need juke, and thus coordinate, and now my other i4 a-holes are either reduced to countdown and 7th sister, or a defender/Soontir. With 2 pocket aces, I don't have a good endgame so I have to alpha hard, except Kestal is sadly the hardest-hitting gun. I've had jolly fun with Soontir or a defender, but that means Kestal is ironically  cagey: quite the control piece. If Kestal were merely Whisper and some toys for the defender/Rexler, I'd be better off.

So I know I shouldn't Kestal, but I'm torn cause I reaaaaaaly want to, lol. Just like my efforts to do something with named V19s.

Yeah, exact same problem. We're trialling Echo, Feroph (Vader), Maarek and a Baron of the Empire. But my boy is quite keen on Kestal too, so alternatively, he slots in for Echo.... and there goes the end game :D

Had some fun before the points change with Vermeil, Echo, Kestal and APT Rhymer. Worked quite well but the change nerfed it. Obviously the alpha is strong in Vermeil/Rhymer, then coord can switch to Kestal. Echo just slunk about and tidied up.

There's a balance there somewhere, I'm sure of it.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Cuz05 said:

Yeah, exact same problem. We're trialling Echo, Feroph (Vader), Maarek and a Baron of the Empire. But my boy is quite keen on Kestal too, so alternatively, he slots in for Echo.... and there goes the end game :D

Had some fun before the points change with Vermeil, Echo, Kestal and APT Rhymer. Worked quite well but the change nerfed it. Obviously the alpha is strong in Vermeil/Rhymer, then coord can switch to Kestal. Echo just slunk about and tidied up.

There's a balance there somewhere, I'm sure of it.....

I think Kestal should just be lean and not the r1-3 autoblaster (although I don't want it that way, lol). The closest to balance I can think of is the 4i4 build: Kagi palpatine, Kestal, 7th Sister, and Countdown. Maybe future developments will do it good. Case in point: Hate for Assaj, Snapshot for Turr, clouds for Blackout and pattern, cheap Leia for B wings, etc. Unrelated note on theorycrafting C tier, who wants Palp with 2 charges? (Despite the 1 regen a turn rule meaning Duchess should take brother, lol XD!)

Maarek Stele (46)    
    Marksmanship (1)    
    Fire-Control System (2)    
    Afterburners (6)    
    
Ship total: 55  Half Points: 28  Threshold: 3    
    
"Duchess" (42)    
    Lone Wolf (5)    
    Stealth Device (6)    
    
Ship total: 53  Half Points: 27  Threshold: 2    
    
Patrol Leader (72)    
    Emperor Palpatine (11)    
    Fifth Brother (9)    
    
Ship total: 92  Half Points: 46  Threshold: 8    
    
    
Total: 200    

Edited by player3010587

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, player3010587 said:

I think Kestal should just be lean and not the r1-3 autoblaster (although I don't want it that way, lol). The closest to balance I can think of is the 4i4 build: Kagi palpatine, Kestal, 7th Sister, and Countdown.     

I also do not want lean Kestal, but needs must. I have flown very fat at home and even with my boy janking like a champ, he just explodes it instantly. Sadly.

I quite like what you've got there. 4xI4 is a favourite. Seventh Sister is a true pro and has punched above her weight in a 3 ship list for us. Been trying to squeeze her in, but the lowly 35pt FCS Baron seems pretty good value atm. Sister will close better though.

 Don't have a Lambda (yet), but I am in love with the Reaper, so there's that. But I think the Lambda changes the list a lot and possibly suits it better.

...Sabacc is in our Hyperspace salad.....

But Maarek ❤️

So I need to finally get a Lambda I guess.

Lieutenant Kestal + Barrage Rockets + Dorsal Turret / Seventh Sister + Fire-Control System / Colonel Jendon + Emperor Palpatine / Maarek Stele + Fire-Control System + Marksmanship /

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you frustrated with the lack of Content, Krayt-tent, or Non-tent?

Do you want to hear 4 people talk about decision making both before and after a game? Join myself, Mitchell Hurst (AKA "FOTP guy from like 20 pages ago"), @RStan, and @Biophysical talk about stuff for like, an hour and a half. 

https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/thesaltminesxwingpodcast/episodes/2019-05-09T13_13_23-07_00

Maybe you'll learn something from it. Maybe you'll hate us. Regardless, we recorded to start a discussion, so we'd appreciate it if anyone listens and gives feedback. 

I apologize for my stuffy nose. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Kaptin Krunch said:

Are you frustrated with the lack of Content, Krayt-tent, or Non-tent?

Do you want to hear 4 people talk about decision making both before and after a game? Join myself, Mitchell Hurst (AKA "FOTP guy from like 20 pages ago"), @RStan, and @Biophysical talk about stuff for like, an hour and a half. 

https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/thesaltminesxwingpodcast/episodes/2019-05-09T13_13_23-07_00

Maybe you'll learn something from it. Maybe you'll hate us. Regardless, we recorded to start a discussion, so we'd appreciate it if anyone listens and gives feedback. 

I apologize for my stuffy nose. 

Tell me you guys aren’t family-friendly and I’m in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Kaptin Krunch said:

Are you frustrated with the lack of Content, Krayt-tent, or Non-tent?

Do you want to hear 4 people talk about decision making both before and after a game? Join myself, Mitchell Hurst (AKA "FOTP guy from like 20 pages ago"), @RStan, and @Biophysical talk about stuff for like, an hour and a half. 

https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/thesaltminesxwingpodcast/episodes/2019-05-09T13_13_23-07_00

Maybe you'll learn something from it. Maybe you'll hate us. Regardless, we recorded to start a discussion, so we'd appreciate it if anyone listens and gives feedback. 

I apologize for my stuffy nose. 

I completely missed that! And then I saw that you linked me (thanks!) so now I'm listening to the previous episode too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, catachanninja said:

Just don't pkay x wing,  easy 

Strong argument here.  6-1 or 7-0 to make day 2?  Holy ****, that's a haul.  If there's an incentive to play each round, like a System Open ticketing system, might be worth playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, catachanninja said:

Just don't pkay x wing,  easy 

I'd probably hit some of the casual tables before dropping it entirely. I enjoy the base game enough I'd regret it. I'm also dragging along the Death Star terrain for the second year running.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gennataos said:

Strong argument here.  6-1 or 7-0 to make day 2?  Holy ****, that's a haul.  If there's an incentive to play each round, like a System Open ticketing system, might be worth playing.

I don't mind the long day (I say now, well rested), but moving the cut to Sunday is not great for me.  Then again, I'm less likely to make cut, so maybe who cares?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GreenDragoon said:

I completely missed that! And then I saw that you linked me (thanks!) so now I'm listening to the previous episode too!

Thanks for listening! I'll be interested to hear what you think of the earlier episode since it's not a formal podcast normally, just an "open invite Krayt thread thing" (I think we asked people to join us about 400 pages ago...)

Also as someone who's been on most of the previous episodes, I would suggest you stop there. They drop off in quality severely the further back you go. And we had like a month hiatus there before Episode 17. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

Thanks for listening! I'll be interested to hear what you think of the earlier episode since it's not a formal podcast normally, just an "open invite Krayt thread thing" (I think we asked people to join us about 400 pages ago...)

Also as someone who's been on most of the previous episodes, I would suggest you stop there. They drop off in quality severely the further back you go. And we had like a month hiatus there before Episode 17. 

How could you ever have a long hiatus in the late teens - that would just be irresponsible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know I saw some sort of "bid" data on Meta-wing or something like that.  Like, I6's are bidding this, etc.  Can someone point me to that?  I'm poking all over the internetz and failing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

This would be amazing if it had also the non-cumulative distribution.  Same data, different visual presentation.

The cumulative distribution is great when asking how deep you have to bid to win against initiative X lists.

But TBH, I wonder how useful average initiative is anyway. E.g. the 5A versions of 5/5/4/3/1 and 5/3/3/3/3 play and perform extremely differently and largely so because of their initiative, but their average initiative are 3.6 and 3.4, respectively. I always calculate the average initiative myself, and plotting it vs bid is trivial, but I've stopped mentioning it because I don't see the value.

I think interesting are the distribution of initiatives over faction or total field (histogram or in %), how frequent high initiative ships are per list (i5+i6 or i6 only), and how much these lists bid. I don't really care about low i bids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...