SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

36 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

@Tlfj200

Just curious.  Chris has gone on record saying that he would play the game whether or not it were Star Wars, with the implication, I think, that it would still have to be a good game.  

Where do you (or anyone else, really) stand on the issue?  The Star Wars IP seems to complicate a lot of things, like FAQ timeliness, the expectations of certain ships and characters, etc.  Say some game company with a made up scifi IP came out with "X-wingish 2.0" that had fixed all the problems you see in X-wing, is that something you're interested in?  Even taking into account the almost unavoidable drop in player base due to being non-Star Wars.

I have been saying since wave 7 I wish there were a non star wars version of the game. I love star wars but it is often constraining to the game. When I first started playing x wing I'd tell people that this is the game system I've waited my whole life to play and star wars is a cool plus. I still almost bought into wings of war, but the more active x wing tournament scene sold me on x wing.

I would absolutely be 100% in as long as the game wasn't by wizkids.

1 minute ago, catachanninja said:

I have been saying since wave 7 I wish there were a non star wars version of the game. I love star wars but it is often constraining to the game. When I first started playing x wing I'd tell people that this is the game system I've waited my whole life to play and star wars is a cool plus. I still almost bought into wings of war, but the more active x wing tournament scene sold me on x wing.

I would absolutely be 100% in as long as the game wasn't by wizkids.

I just want a Top Gun miniatures game with planes from all eras. 

If a enterprising developer did publish a game like that, that captured the spirit of XWing but: 

- toned down turrets and bombs substantially 

- removed regen

- didn’t have Christmas tree ship chassis (scurgg, Kwing, Jump)

I would get into that game (and out of Xwing) in a New York minute. Star Wars is cool and all, but I love all sorts of board games, and the mechanics in this game is kind of a sweet spot for me.  And besides, FFG management have consistently exhibited a-hole behavior, so I would be to  thrilled give someone else my money.

Edited by sozin

Just now, dolfiejay said:

Attitude is the only thing that needs to change. You love this game and you know it. Embrace it for what it is and we can all have fun again.

I love the people.  I hate to post this publicly,  but in the last two weeks I've had far more conversations about "what do we do if we stop playing x wing " than I care to admit. Half the reason i got into l5r was as a soft exit for x wing. I'm already commited to x wing events the next two weeks, but i fully expect to dive back into l5r and lifting in early February.

2 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

I just want a Top Gun miniatures game with planes from all eras. 

I'll dig up the link and strongarm Chris into putting it into the show notes,  but somone on these forums has been working on a real world alternate that sounds cool as ****. If somone else finds it and links it here and bumps that thread id love them for it.

18 minutes ago, catachanninja said:

I'll dig up the link and strongarm Chris into putting it into the show notes,  but somone on these forums has been working on a real world alternate that sounds cool as ****. If somone else finds it and links it here and bumps that thread id love them for it.

So jet era combat planes?  I am 100% about an F5 swarm, just as God and John Boyd intended.

Honestly, as an Ex-40k player, if FFG doesn't do something about the RAW vs. RAI debate with the split in regional rulings, it looks like the X-wing equivalent of 40k's ITC is going to form. Since the ITC effectively wrote 8th edition of 40k, is that a good or a bad sign?

Specifically, Objectives looks like it's a strong contender for **already being** X-wing's ITC equivalent.

On the other hand,I keep hearing rumors about an emergency announcement on Monday, but that might just be rumors.

Edited by Kaptin Krunch
I forget words

The idea that "celebrities" should not go speaking their mind if it's not wholly positive is laughable. Most known player became known because they're good and spoke their minds.

It's a good thing my son is only a very minor celebrity, otherwise I couldn't report that an 8 year old kid who spent the last 2.5 years living and breathing x-wing (and we're talking daily requests to play, creating his own game with micromachines and LEGO, thinking up a thousand new lists all the time, kraytventing his own expansions, etc) now plays one or two games in a weekend and is fine with it. You want broken? A kid who lives for competition and sci-fi is losing interest, that's very broken. 

Thankfully, I'm one of the local TOs, so I expect my store to go full on alt format except for the odd large tournament prep. 

I'm on board with not wanting people to leave because of salt, but adding salty behaviour when they speak up is unlikely to endear people to stay.

1 hour ago, Biophysical said:

So jet era combat planes?  I am 100% about an F5 swarm, just as God and John Boyd intended.

Dibs on F-16s. However many i can fit into a squad. 

I would also love to see korean -era and vietnam-era planes on the table. Century series planes were wonderful.

Edited by Dismal Scientist

17 minutes ago, Dismal Scientist said:

Dibs on F-16s. However many i can fit into a squad. 

I would also love to see korean -era and vietnam-era planes on the table. Century series planes were wonderful.

So my actual favorite fighters in order are

F22.

F16.

F15.

Somone compared the f16 to the tie fo and the f22 to the tie phantom and thats how I got started playing the kraytastrophe for a while 

Ran out of reactions again, why even live.

Anyways, all I've got is @Biophysical I agree with everyone else, while I personally don't care about star wars, the fact that everyone else doesn't probably means it's necessary.

Now that the game archetype is more proven though, maybe we can get some interest in a non star wars version of it ever pops up.

And re: Travis should self censor, I guess I'll just repeat: this is our personal bookclub. We just record it because sometimes something useful leaks out. It's entirely opt in, do if you don't like it, you don't have to listen to it, that's totally fine.

The reason we don't have any patreon or anything is so that we DON'T owe anyone anything, ever. If Zack decides he hates the game tomorrow and convinces everyone to play league of legends tomorrow, you'd probably hear the Carolina krayts be really, really bad at it without missing a beat.

Edited by Brunas

I’m glad I get to listen to the book club. As a king of scrub mountain, I really want high level competitive discussion and can’t really get it locally. 

Its gotten to the point that I just like listening to you guys, and probably still would if you switched games. I listened to BOTH episodes of honorable mention, even though I’ve never seen l5r stuff in real life. 

Having said that, there’s no way I would have gotten into this game without Star Wars, but I could see me following the mechanics to a different theme. 

1 hour ago, catachanninja said:

So my actual favorite fighters in order are

F22.

F16.

F15.

Somone compared the f16 to the tie fo and the f22 to the tie phantom and thats how I got started playing the kraytastrophe for a while 

Your plane rankings are on point.

And,

That’s awesome and now I want to do the same thing.

Really quick going to take some time to elaborate on some of the thought on fair/unfair and whether or not krayts are driving people away:

The Krayts do not affect my enjoyment of X-wing, that is all me, and whether or not I want to play is up to me.  That said, the Krayts do affect something: My self-esteem (As odd as it is to say that).  If the Krayts didn't tell me bombs / genius Nym were OP would I think that?  Probably not.  However, they would still be OP (Just to clarify, pre-nerf genius), I just wouldn't know.  In that world, when I lost to the guy that play bombs locally, and he was flying triple K-wings, I would tell myself I need to get better, and make the right decisions (And he would too, guy was kind of a jerk) even if there was no right decision.  As a result, I would come home, feel bad about my play, and not want to go again - after all, I will never be good.  Instead, the Krayts showed me how OP it was, and that I didn't have a choice: I lost turn 0, when I brought my b-tier list to a casual night.  So, I kept going.  I biked in below-freezing weather to play X-wing, because somehow, the Krayts showed me that getting gud is possible, you just have to know when you lost in a a game, or when you lost before it.  So, really, the Krayts are saving X-wing, not killing it, by being negative about the state of the game.

1 hour ago, Brunas said:

And re: Travis should self center, I guess I'll just repeat: this is our personal bookclub. We just record it because sometimes something useful leaks out. It's entirely opt in, do if you don't like it, you don't have to listen to it, that's totally fine.

The reason we don't have any patreon or anything is so that we DON'T owe anyone anything, ever. If Zack decides he hates the game tomorrow and convinces everyone to play league of legends tomorrow, you'd probably hear the Carolina krayts be really, really bad at it without missing a beat.

I'm confused. You're all minor internet celebrities, you obviously owe us EVERYTHING, we made you! ;)

I keep tuning in because you refer to actual concepts when referring to thing, instead of going with feels. To many X-wingers' dismay, agency was a thing way before the Krayts popularized the term (though it was always so dry in research papers). Using the actual words for things and thinking through the analysis is well worth it. Having so many people parroting the words without quite getting the full meaning is just the funny cherry on that sundae.

I may be weird, but Patreon doesn't imply"owing anything" to me (though I like the swag). Then again, I may see it more old school, as in "what you create is worthy, here's some money to help you keep doing you."