SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

50 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

To be perfectly honest, I'm going to take this advice and tuck it away some place for future corroboration... I'm willing to bet most of the time you're just out-skilling your opponents regardless of the lead weights you strap on.

I mean, he's no Jack Mooney, beating back the sheer rubbish of Han to skill his way to top. He's just Old Para, who makes cut with clearly EZ mode ships like Quinn Jast, and Talonbane Cobra. 

31 minutes ago, jagsba said:

I mean, he's no Jack Mooney, beating back the sheer rubbish of Han to skill his way to top. He's just Old Para, who makes cut with clearly EZ mode ships like Quinn Jast, and Talonbane Cobra. 

I wouldn't sense irony even if it hit me in the face, so just in case let me point that Jack is friend of mine, and he's way better player than me :)

42 minutes ago, PaulRuddSays said:

With what load-out? 

Quinn Jast + Proton Torpedoes, Crack Shot (she can reload crack as well). 

Backed with Scum Junk squad (Seevor, Unkar, L3-37, Z95, Torkil in Hungary and Plaob, Unkar, Talonbane and L3-37 during Polish SOS) 

Lists aren't valid anymore after January points update. 

Trick was to focus from coordinate, then 5fwd +TL. If enemy landed r2-3, then Proton, if r1 than double moded 3 Dice + crack and if bumped (most often) k3/k5 and Topredo in following turns. Had matches with her firing 3x or even 4x torpedoes. 

7 minutes ago, skotothalamos said:

Ooh, rechargeable Stealth Device or Afterburners as well. neat!

2 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

Elusive/Stealth Device Jast? Maximum jank?

Were Scyks really that far off the map that this wasn't known??? Holy ****. For ease of reference:

•Quinn Jast

I'm enjoying the current podcast, especially the discussions of stuff around X-wing and more related to player behaviours and the self-reflectiveness of what happens when you meme too well.

I haven't really made it out to play since 2.0 landed, but we had a rise in meme-ish behaviours by the end of 1.0, with a lot of Krayt-like buzz words. Most of it seemed to be ironic, but not all, and the target audience wasn't always considered. The low-effort way of listening to X-wing podcasts is to take everything at face value. And one thing I know about X-wing players is that most of them love the low-effort approach (at least on their part), which leads to memes becoming actually horrifying behaviours.

It's up to the players to figure out how to build a welcoming community, no matter what the meme du jour may be on the podcasts.

21 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Were Scyks really that far off the map that this wasn't known??? Holy ****. For ease of reference:

•Quinn Jast

Nah. I've used Jast. Put Advanced Proton Torps on him because they were cheaper and didn't expect to get the range shots due to lower initiative. I enjoy these little ships, but haven't unlocked anything worth reporting.

It feels like it's going to be a long three more months waiting for the next points change.

---

Release to January points was three and a half months, points to now has been three months.

I feel now pretty strongly that point changes should be every 3 months, four times a year. It's been plenty long enough now to have a list of things that need adjustment, and the old points are starting to feel a bit stale*. Not that nobody's said this before, obviously - lots of people have been saying it all the way back to when FFG originally announced it'd be twice a year - but at the time I was fine with the idea of trying it out and seeing how it felt. We're two sets of 3 month rotations in, now, so we have the benefit of knowing exactly how that feels, and it... feels pretty good? January changes felt good, and changes happening right now would feel pretty good too. 

* Partially because the hyperspace roster adjustment that came with wave 3 didn't change the archetypes enough, power-crept Empire/Rebels mostly reducing the format to extended-lite, and also partially because Republic is only decent and CIS is basically bad.

---

This is all to say, I think we've all had enough of Leia 4-ship and Phantoms for one season. 

Can we at least get an emergency adjustment to those things (and maybe Han), FFG? You would want to do it now, not in 5-7 weeks when people have burnt out and are taking breaks from the game. By then the damage is done. 

I know it would disrupt the continuity of the Hyperspace Trials, so let me just that as clearly as possible: I really don't careThat's such a minor price to pay for continued fun with the game, I'll pay it in a heartbeat. Give the changes an 11 day period before they phase in if you want to, whatever, that's fine.

---

Briefly: get rid of the 3x/4x Phantom lists, make Han have to move, hike Leia up to like 10 points*, and the meta is probably interesting again for (at least) the month or two before the next wave/points?

Would anything else need to be changed? I don't think so? Obviously, I sure wouldn't mind Vultures getting help, or Scum too while we're at it... and maybe TIE Swarms would become overly dominant absent those lists, or Vader/Soontir/2x Barrage, or something. But it's probably fine?

Just fixing those three things will make the journey to Wave 4 / July not a trudge. Even if some new super strong thing emerges, at least it's a new strong thing. I'd rather have 3 months of something new that is as dominant as Leia 4-ship, than 3 months of just more Leia 4-ship.

* I'm honestly pretty sure the list of Cassian + Leia / Braylen / Wedge / [something], would need to go up in points by like 16-17 total to stop being incredibly strong. If Leia went back up to 8 points, it could still fit Ten or a Selfless Blade and basically not care, I think? I could be wrong, but it feels like that list that is 3-4 points too cheap on every card.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, svelok said:

It feels like it's going to be a long three more months waiting for the next points change.

---

Release to January points was three and a half months, points to now has been three months.

I feel now pretty strongly that point changes should be every 3 months, four times a year. It's been plenty long enough now to have a list of things that need adjustment, and the old points are starting to feel a bit stale*. Not that nobody's said this before, obviously - lots of people have been saying it all the way back to when FFG originally announced it'd be twice a year - but at the time I was fine with the idea of trying it out and seeing how it felt. We're two sets of 3 month rotations in, now, so we have the benefit of knowing exactly how that feels, and it... feels pretty good? January changes felt good, and changes happening right now would feel pretty good too. 

* Partially because the hyperspace roster adjustment that came with wave 3 didn't change the archetypes enough, power-crept Empire/Rebels mostly reducing the format to extended-lite, and also partially because Republic is only decent and CIS is basically bad.

---

This is all to say, I think we've all had enough of Leia 4-ship and Phantoms for one season. 

Can we at least get an emergency adjustment to those things (and maybe Han), FFG? You would want to do it now, not in 5-7 weeks when people have burnt out and are taking breaks from the game. By then the damage is done. 

I know it would disrupt the continuity of the Hyperspace Trials, so let me just that as clearly as possible: I really don't careThat's such a minor price to pay for continued fun with the game, I'll pay it in a heartbeat. Give the changes an 11 day period before they phase in if you want to, whatever, that's fine.

---

Briefly: get rid of the 3x/4x Phantom lists, make Han have to move, hike Leia up to like 10 points*, and the meta is probably interesting again for (at least) the month or two before the next wave/points?

Would anything else need to be changed? I don't think so? Obviously, I sure wouldn't mind Vultures getting help, or Scum too while we're at it... and maybe TIE Swarms would become overly dominant absent those lists, or Vader/Soontir/2x Barrage, or something. But it's probably fine?

Just fixing those three things will make the journey to Wave 4 / July not a trudge. Even if some new super strong thing emerges, at least it's a new strong thing. I'd rather have 3 months of something new that is as dominant as Leia 4-ship, than 3 months of just more Leia 4-ship.

* I'm honestly pretty sure the list of Cassian + Leia / Braylen / Wedge / [something], would need to go up in points by like 16-17 total to stop being incredibly strong. If Leia went back up to 8 points, it could still fit Ten or a Selfless Blade and basically not care, I think? I could be wrong, but it feels like that list that is 3-4 points too cheap on every card.

No, not before I get wrecked by it at my local HST. Afterwards yes, you may fire at will, commander.

Edited by FlyingAnchors

9 minutes ago, svelok said:

CIS is basically bad.

That's certainly a way to phrase it, yes.

Call me crazy, but if the Interceptor / bomber / A-wing were dropped from hyperspace with the Deci / TAP / ghost* / phantom II* added, I'd be happier, as all of those are coming as 2.0 boxes.

*Probably don't need to add these two yet, but it would keep things consistent.

6 hours ago, svelok said:

and CIS is basically bad.

😭

I want to say I’ll prove you wrong but around here people tend to fly off-meta at least a little bit, so winning here might not mean beating Quad Phantoms or Stop!Han.

Posted (edited)

It really has felt like a long points season, and it's only half over (though, functionally, it's mostly over this month).

It makes me wonder if points should actually be updated more frequently (next obvious choice is quarterly).

For instance, let's say july comes, and they "miss" something, which then swarms to 20+% of the meta again, despite 7 factions... 6 months takes us through December: all of the 2nd half of system opens (unannounced), another entire regional season, the entire nationals season, AND worlds.

That will feel like a very long 6 months (even if nothing is "missed"), because new waves don't have the same impact they had in 1.0, particularly in extended: they add 3-4 new ships across 7 factions (and generally less than 4 new ships).

Edited by Tlfj200
)

They did originally say quarterly updates, but then dialled it back to being bi-annual.  They have, however shown willingness to step in if necessary. I am happy that they don't react to every internet explosion/chicken little event that occurs, and rather make more considered decisions. 

18 hours ago, LagJanson said:

Nah. I've used Jast. Put Advanced Proton Torps on him because they were cheaper and didn't expect to get the range shots due to lower initiative. I enjoy these little ships, but haven't unlocked anything worth reporting.

Not even procket afterburners? 

40 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

It makes me wonder if points should actually be updated more frequently (next obvious choice is quarterly).

That will feel like a very long 6 months (even if nothing is "missed"), because new waves don't have the same impact they had in 1.0, particularly in extended: they add 3-4 new ships across 7 factions (and generally less than 4 new ships).

36 minutes ago, Micanthropyre said:

Not to mention if they go quarterly they can do smaller changes, bumping ships that might be fine a point or two at a time.

28 minutes ago, Dreadai said:

They did originally say quarterly updates, but then dialled it back to being bi-annual.  They have, however shown willingness to step in if necessary. I am happy that they don't react to every internet explosion/chicken little event that occurs, and rather make more considered decisions. 

I think there is a lot to be said for quarterly points changes that are small plus semi-annual changes that are big. Not a full meta revamp every quarter, but a shakeup of the top squads inbetween full changes. I would assume (hope) this isn't how they do it, but as an example, they could look at what makes the top 5 squads on meta-wing tick, maybe throw a bone to the 2-3 worst performing factions, and call it a day. A very limited, targeted set of points changes (although the size of the changes might be quite large, depending) to just maintain interest. 

They also could do a lot more to make Hyperspace have, well... a point. If Wave 4 brings Phantoms and Scurrgs to hyperspace there will be no point whatsoever in even having it anymore. Conversely, if wave 4 rotated out the TIE Advanced and U-Wings (and without just replacing them with similar roles from Extended), the two formats would actually look different and hyperspace would have to figure out a fresh meta; subtractive or sideways changes meaning more than additive ones.

This is the second time we're hitting 3 months on a given "patch" and we're all starting to get a little restless about how many Leia lists and Phantoms are going to be around. That says a lot.

16 hours ago, svelok said:

Played against that (4th ship was PT Dutch) with my Imperial Aces (Vader, Fel, Turr) and nuking Wedge off the board didn't even slow the list down.

23 minutes ago, player3010587 said:

Not even procket afterburners? 

I'm unconvinced. Burners might be fun and decent on their own, maybe add crack shot for one more point... I'd save the points on the prockets though. Too many points on a Scyk seems real bad.

Actually, that might be fun. Zip in, if you trigger crack shot the following turn go fast and use burners to buy more space for reloading.