SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

Fenn and Soontir seem good for the game in that, while they can punch way above their value if they fly well and green dice well, they can also crash and burn so easily.

correct: if you green dice well

soontir usually die at the first shoot.

you do not have alternatives:fly well or die 

soontir it is just 1 example of the tipical empire's ship (high cealing high rewards)

i'm tired of it

i'm not a competitive player.... i usually play between 6 and 8 games in a month.

i always played empire but now i' m startining to think that fragile ships are not for me.  probably i'm not good enough.

i think to pass to rebels as other friends.

They forgive you a lot more than imperials

Edited by Manolox

5 hours ago, Manolox said:

i always played empire but now i' m startining to think that fragile ships are not for me.  probably i'm not good enough.

It could be that you're just slightly too aggressive. It's a problem I run into a lot with the squishy Imps. They live by fine margins and very carefully assessed risks.

But there are many alternatives in the Imperial arsenal that will let you get away with 1 or 2 errors.

9 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

They forgive you more than anyone. 

This is truth.  I've been playing Rebels for the past month and it feels like going on vacation.  I haven't been using a squad with any big damage mitigation or spreading mechanics, and it's still so much more relaxing knowing that blank outs don't mean immediate ship loss.  

4 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

This is truth.  I've been playing Rebels for the past month and it feels like going on vacation.  I haven't been using a squad with any big damage mitigation or spreading mechanics, and it's still so much more relaxing knowing that blank outs don't mean immediate ship loss.  

Join the Resistance.  We have a card for that!

swawards.thumb.jpg.3d9d481d955128c714cedb644092be3c.jpg

So, after all the panic and discussions, has anyone tried Jack's Han Jake hyperspace list? 

I flew it yesterday, once with perfect knowledge with Jake and another one where he moved before everything else. 

I was totally unimpressed by it. If anything, I felt like it was a downgrade from the Han Wedge I was toying with a couple of months ago. 

Jake was acting like a green dice dependent biggs at best and a totally waste of 56 points at worst, while Han kept his incredibly high red dice dependance: if you are running what basically is a one ship list, even a single turn with cold reds might spell doom. 

Besides the design, theoratical and philosophical concerns the list seems to raise in this forum, has anyone got some actual table time with or against it? What's your feelings? 

8 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

So, after all the panic and discussions, has anyone tried Jack's Han Jake hyperspace list? 

I flew it yesterday, once with perfect knowledge with Jake and another one where he moved before everything else. 

I was totally unimpressed by it. If anything, I felt like it was a downgrade from the Han Wedge I was toying with a couple of months ago. 

Jake was acting like a green dice dependent biggs at best and a totally waste of 56 points at worst, while Han kept his incredibly high red dice dependance: if you are running what basically is a one ship list, even a single turn with cold reds might spell doom. 

Besides the design, theoratical and philosophical concerns the list seems to raise in this forum, has anyone got some actual table time with or against it? What's your feelings? 

I've been toying with Han and Jake (plus a third - whoops) since Nathan, to be honest.

Notes:

• When I got caught with Han, I could see it was the turn before I had messed up and limited my movement options for the present turn. Always leave multiple escape routes open
  • Don't stay and fight, run like a coward (uhg)
  • Jake should not normally be shot at by a squad of fighters... if so, you've not read the step before
  • When I made the patient, correct decisions, my opponent basically spent most of the game with little to no red dice, and with stupidly bad shots.
  • The third ship shouldn't have been in the list. It just dies. (I had Wedge with a proton torp, it was glorious to start but often put me in the hole shortly there after. Also a bombing Norra Y-Wing... similarly...)
  • Once your down on points, it's a bit unhappy. Can't dig yourself out well enough

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

I've played against the Wedge version in Hyperspace.  I didn't notice myself making serious mistakes, and thought my opponent probably engaged incorrectly, and it still required a lot of creative blocking of self and Han to give me a chance to win.  It wouldn't have taken much of a dice swing to lose that game, and I'm not sure I could have played notably better. 

I killed Wedge early and got up on points, but it was still very close.  I'll note that it was on Vassal, and had a 19 round limit, so I attempted to push the engagement to finish the game instead of waiting around for 19 turns.  A 75 minute game probably makes getting up and playing very conservatively more effective and palatable.  

I haven't played against the Jake version.  I suspect it doesn't give up points as easily as Wedge, but I also suspect it leaves more work for Han to do.  I might be wrong, though.  Most Wedge builds are probably not getting more than 1-2 shots anyway, so maybe Jake played well can do more.  

Edited by Biophysical

26 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

I've played against 2 Hans in hyperspace: one Han Wedge Luke and one Han Wedge Norra. Both with 5A. The Han Wedge Luke I had some pretty strong dice variance on my side to win, played well, and it was still sort of close. I don't know that I could have won given equal dice.

The Han Wedge Norra was against Nick at the Milwaukee Hyperspace, I was his loss in Swiss. Again I had strong dice on my side but I got a lot of decent blocks on Han and won pretty easily. I think if dice weren't so strong in my favor it could have gone either way. 

I think that the Jake/Luke Gunner would be an interesting matchup because his offense is much lower, giving me a decent shot to win via my normal condition of careful MOV calculating. I'd really only need to get Han and Jake each to half points while only losing 2 A-wings over the course of the game, which if I play super cagey with Lulo is very doable. That being said, halving Jake and Han is tough action too, and if his red dice are hot I don't think I can win no matter how well I play.

10 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

I suspect it doesn't give up points as easily as Wedge, but I also suspect it leaves more work for Han to do.  I might be wrong, though.  Most Wedge builds are probably not getting more than 1-2 shots anyway, so maybe Jake played well can do more. 

Yeah, the Wedge version falls on its face. If your opponent targets Wedge, there's not much running you can do in an X-Wing and facing your opponent's squad the 2 shots seems accurate. I could usually kill one ship... but Wedge was worth more points than that one ship.

Jake on the other hand can avoid trouble and if he's successfully flanked, outmaneuver is a wonderful upgrade (I'm the Wedge now!) and deals more damage over time than Wedge would in those two turns at the start of the match.

Wedge ignored though.. wow, that was such a wonderful game for me. Total annihilation as my opponent tried (in vain) to catch Solo. Um... my opponent didn't have much fun.

10 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

Hi Thread! 

How many points should heroic cost? 

1pt if your agility is 1, 2pt if it is 2, and 1 pts if it is 3. Won't trigger often if you need 2 dice but you put it on han without Finn, won't trigger too often if on an A wing, but will trigger a whopping 9/64 rolls on a T70. Costing it so that nien can at least consider elusive, Poe Lone Wolf, and maybe health upgrades for others makes it more interesting. It's not OP (except by a hair on T70's), but talent diversity is a good thing. 

In terms of results-added, Heroic provides about the same value-per-points as reroll effects.  On an X-Wing, 1/3rd the value of Elusive for 1/3rd the points.  On an A-Wing, 1/5th the value of Lone Wolf (or Predator & Elusive), for 1/5th the points.  So it's wicked fairly priced as a once-per-turn effect.

But it isn't once per turn and it has no positional requirements--it just always (never) works.  I'm pretty mixed on whether that warrants a points increase.

Much, much more important would be a fix to RZ2 A-Wing prices.  No doubt, Heroic seems too cheap since A-Wings are too cheap.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Sunitsa said:

has anyone got some actual table time with or against it? 

Yes. 

2 hours ago, Sunitsa said:

What's your feelings? 

tumblr_om592pCFpB1rb499fo1_500.gif 

Been there, done that. Done.   

Much rather talk about other real 2.0 ships, lists, upgrades, tactics, and gameplay. 

Mostly I am not at all done being hyped about how cool First Order, Republic, CIS, and even other Rebel Lists are to play and try to figure out.

Edited by Boom Owl

3 minutes ago, player3010587 said:

1pt if your agility is 1, 2pt if it is 2, and 1 pts if it is 3. Won't trigger often if you need 2 dice but you put it on han without Finn, won't trigger too often if on an A wing, but will trigger a whopping 9/64 rolls on a T70. Costing it so that nien can at least consider elusive, Poe Lone Wolf, and maybe health upgrades for others makes it more interesting. It's not OP (except by a hair on T70's), but talent diversity is a good thing. 

It doesn't just apply to defensive rolls... It is general anti-blank insurance while attacking or defending.