SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

2 hours ago, Jeff Wilder said:

I personally despair over the erosion of proper use of "bring" and "take."  The right choice of word there can convey an immense amount  of geographic and even temporal information.  With one word.  And there's no way to otherwise convey that lost information when people use "bring" as the default, except by significantly increasing the verbiage.

I've been trying to convince my friends and colleagues of the merits of whence/thence and whither/thither.

Where are you coming from? (6 syllables)

Whence come you? (3 syllables)

2 hours ago, Jeff Wilder said:

Yeah.  Linguistic drift is gonna happen, and I ain't got no problem with it.  But when something conveys legitimately useful information, and that useful information is lost because people are too lazy to figure out actual meaning, it really bugs me.  And, ironically, it's often because the speaker is trying to appear educated.  Yous is a perfect example: People have heard educated people use "begs the question."  They've misunderstood the meaning, but because they want to appear educated and feel smart, they mimic the words.  Drives me batshit.

I always get a kick when people don’t realize that ‘brevity is the soul of wit’ was a quip designed to point out that this dumb guy just WON’T SHUT UP. They’ve understood the literal words, but entirely missed the point of the phrase. 

Similar to your complaint, but different. 

18 minutes ago, PaulRuddSays said:

I always get a kick when people don’t realize that ‘brevity is the soul of wit’ was a quip designed to point out that this dumb guy just WON’T SHUT UP. They’ve understood the literal words, but entirely missed the point of the phrase

BREVITY IS WIT

4 minutes ago, Jeff Wilder said:

It is hard to believe -- nigh impossible -- that the mods once moved this thread to Off Topic, isn't it?

Never happened. Can't prove it.

So, question, is Scum Han just waiting silently waiting to be noticed right now? I mean, you can get a similar offense on him pretty quickly.

• 54 - Han Solo
  • 02 - Trick Shot
  • 01 - Intertial Dampeners
  • 06 - Lando's Millenium Falcon
  • 29 - Lando Calrissian (escape pod)
  • 92 points total...

It's not as good as the Rebel variant, but it leaves more points to play with in the list

29 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

So, question, is Scum Han just waiting silently waiting to be noticed right now? I mean, you can get a similar offense on him pretty quickly.

• 54 - Han Solo
  • 02 - Trick Shot
  • 92 points total...

It's not as good as the Rebel variant, but it leaves more points to play with in the list

Scum might just have better options right now

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, LagJanson said:

• 54 - Han Solo
  • 02 - Trick Shot
  • 92 points total...

The thing which is hard about Scum Han is how much he really depends on obstructed shots.  At close to half a list, you probably can't afford to go more than 1 shot out of 4 un-obstructed.  I never learned the knack of it.  Give me some Fangs any day.

Edited by theBitterFig

7 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

• 54 - Han Solo
  • 02 - Trick Shot
  • 92 points total...

Have played this (minus Lando pod) several times and it's a solid ship. But it dies very very fast. The lack of defensive Han reroll, R2 regen, and force point means it loses the critical ability to basically ignore incoming fire from one ship. Also the blues are crap so ID, Lando, and boost all wanting to stress it (incidentally meaning you can only use one of them per turn) make it really miss Kanan

Personally think it's better without Lando at a low 60s price point that works equally well as big looking bait that you can afford to lose or a surprisingly punchy ship that can't be ignored. But it's not the queen piece that Rebel Inert Fat Han is simply due to the lack of defense. Cheap version plus Fenn and Old T is solid, not S tier by any means but a decent fun list

9 minutes ago, Makaze said:

Personally think it's better without Lando at a low 60s price point that works equally well as big looking bait that you can afford to lose or a surprisingly punchy ship that can't be ignored

I agree

Card_Pilot_99.png e15d3e2a2fc082b95a64a83df0c96f7f.png

tie-advanced-v1.png                             rz-2-a-wing.png

What's the fair prices for these two pilots? L'ulo is currently 38, and Grand Inquisitor is currently 56 (!!!). Some comparisons...

Statlines: 
- Both I5
- Both 2/3/2/2, with an ability to boost to 3 primary
- L'ulo gets to have a rear arc
- Grand Inquisitor gets to have 2 force points
- Same basic action bar, but L'ulo can link any action to boost(/rotate) whereas Inqy can only link boost and roll into focus
- Force makes having a white evade way stronger

Abilities:
- L'ulo's requires stress and can punch up to 4 dice at R1
- Inqy's is stressless, and can apply defensively against incoming R1 attacks

Upgrades:
- L'ulo can take Heroic, double talents, and/or Advanced Optics
- Inqy has a force slot
- For 24 additional points, Inqy can have pre-dial movement, link it to a focus, do a blue, and then as an action take evade/lock
- Both can take missiles
- Inqy can take sensors (FCS? Adv Sens?)

Re: Grand Galactic Inquisitor v L’ulo:

I would take L’ulo at the same point cost if force wasn’t a factor. Is two force points (and I guess a force slot over two talents) really worth ~18 points? The first is probably worth a solid 10 but you get diminishing returns. 

I think everybody is already on board with L’ulo ticking up and Grand Inquisitor ticking down slightly, I don’t think that is controversial?

10 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

they redefine NPE to situations like intentional cheating, unintentional mistakes, boardstate disputes, streaming&cyber bullying, the "fly casual" mantra, handling bad dice or wrong decisions, being rude to your opponents, body language and odor, playing against women and children (minorities), playing against people not knowing the rules.

I mean, I gave up on GSP a long time ago, but that can't possibly be what they meant, right? 

5 hours ago, Jeff Wilder said:

It is hard to believe -- nigh impossible -- that the mods once moved this thread to Off Topic, isn't it?

Sshhh don’t remind them. We have to keep flexing on the Rebels discussion thread. 

Anyway, something something Hyperspace. Something something extended. Something something NPE. Something something krayts on top.

Wedge is the best X-wing pilot, you can’t change my mind.

(am I doing this right?)

36 minutes ago, FlyingAnchors said:

Sshhh don’t remind them. We have to keep flexing on the Rebels discussion thread. 

Anyway, something something Hyperspace. Something something extended. Something something NPE. Something something krayts on top.

(am I doing this right?)

Wedge is so epic that his ability is an easier to proc version of the most expensive non-variably costed talent. I love flying him and looking at the models on the board, but I hate the playstyle of much of his faction. My affinity for Wedge drives my interest in Blackout (debuffer) and Quickdraw (single-action high-dps I6). 

10 hours ago, FlyingAnchors said:

(am I doing this right?)

Wedge, be careful up there...somebody is gonna get hurt.

wedge.png

21 minutes ago, viedit said:

Wedge, be careful up there...somebody is gonna get hurt.

wedge.png

Should flip the axes... y-axis is games, this just means je'd popular!

In fact, there is a huge amount of better rebel pilots based on that graph. Though it is impressive that he is that frequent and still relatively far right

14 hours ago, svelok said:

Card_Pilot_99.png e15d3e2a2fc082b95a64a83df0c96f7f.png

tie-advanced-v1.png                             rz-2-a-wing.png

What's the fair prices for these two pilots? L'ulo is currently 38, and Grand Inquisitor is currently 56 (!!!). Some comparisons...

Statlines: 
- Both I5
- Both 2/3/2/2, with an ability to boost to 3 primary
- L'ulo gets to have a rear arc
- Grand Inquisitor gets to have 2 force points
- Same basic action bar, but L'ulo can link any action to boost(/rotate) whereas Inqy can only link boost and roll into focus
- Force makes having a white evade way stronger

Abilities:
- L'ulo's requires stress and can punch up to 4 dice at R1
- Inqy's is stressless, and can apply defensively against incoming R1 attacks

Upgrades:
- L'ulo can take Heroic, double talents, and/or Advanced Optics
- Inqy has a force slot
- For 24 additional points, Inqy can have pre-dial movement, link it to a focus, do a blue, and then as an action take evade/lock
- Both can take missiles
- Inqy can take sensors (FCS? Adv Sens?)

Comparing almost anyone to L'ulo--who is pretty much universally acknowledged to be radically underpriced--is never going to hand in a favorable comparison.

The obvious and easy comparisons for TGI are Obi-Wan and Plo Koon.

latest?cb=20190205051046  latest?cb=20190205044246

Sure, Aethersprites can get their two configurations, which are easy and potent, but they do exist as baseline ships, and TGI can equip missiles (and at least Proton Rockets are easy).  But for TGI's 56, we have 51 and 53 for Plo and Obi.  WTF?

Plo is the perfect ship to compare, since they essentially have the same statline (force included), and linked actions vs Fine-Tuned controls are close enough to comparable (although FTC seem to have shown themselves superior).  Sure, TGI is a situational extra attack die ability, and those tend to be costly, but Plo is situationally an extra attack ability.  Obi-wan has an extra force, and can use that force for extra actions on any ship in a Range 2 bubble.  Only focus actions, but it's still good.

And yet, TGI is 5 points more than Plo, 3 points more than Obi.  Honestly, if TGI is 51, I think he's kinda fair (that's a 10% cost reduction, btw).  With Hate/FCS at a total of 56, rather than unupgraded, that doesn't seem too out-of-line.  2 points more than Predator Soontir, for easier passive mods and extra health, but only Init 5 and a harder-to-achieve 3rd attack die.  I think he'd be regular-list playable at that price, even if he probably wouldn't go in a revised Squad-of-Legends.