SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Sunitsa said:

But is R4 really something you want to spend 2 points on if you aren't Poe?

Yes. 

(I'd actually argue it is underpriced on Poe)

Edited by Bucknife

On 3/19/2019 at 10:12 AM, Chumbalaya said:

(Sorry, @Chumbalaya, site is making it impossible to remove an old quote here)

_______

About R4... It might be a bit annoying for design but it's thematic and appropriate. The question was, "What is the in-universe purpose of these Astros on these fighters? What should they do for us in game?".

-R2 manage shields

-R5 fix hull damage

-R4 engine optimization

Etc...

Not saying these are all %100 lore accurate generalizations, but I'd say it's close enough for jazz. Players get some thematic and varied options for their astro-carrying fighters. 

Just piping up to say how much I like R4-P on the ARC. 3 hard and 4 straight are very fast moves on a medium, useful for avoiding blocks, getting rear arc shots or simply zooming away to regen something. After an inevitable 4k, R4-P opens the dial considerably.

Normally dead or victorious by the time you'd want a 3rd use.

R4 seems generally less useful all round to me, on the vast majority of ships. Being slower moves, they don't change the usual game plan overmuch.

I think the points and design on both are fine, in the context of my own usage.

On 4/20/2019 at 9:55 AM, Biophysical said:

Next week, someone will be asking on Reddit whether anyone can help them get better at X-Wing. This week, though, this has 5% of the upvotes as a post featuring four StarVipers superglued together and a single comment. Truly wonderful, the mind of Reddit X-Wing is.

Great blog post as always, incidentally.

20 minutes ago, DoubleDown11 said:

Next week, someone will be asking on Reddit whether anyone can help them get better at X-Wing. This week, though, this has 5% of the upvotes as a post featuring four StarVipers superglued together and a single comment. Truly wonderful, the mind of Reddit X-Wing is.

Lol.  No big deal. I only post it to Reddit because some locals more active on reddit suggested reddit might make use of it.  I sorta hate reddit as a format, so anything that comes from it is a bonus.  

Thanks for the kind words, though. 

39 minutes ago, DoubleDown11 said:

Next week on Reddit: 5 starvipers superglued together. Stay tuned!

Incidentally, I made a blog. The fluff pieces are/will be pretty generic and forgettable, but I think the match reviews might be worth a glossing over. They're somewhat similar in format to @GreenDragoon, although I waste a lot more virtual ink for probably very minimal additional value.

If you read just one blog this year... well, you should probably pick between something good like Space Owls, or @Biophysical, or @GreenDragoon. But if you really hate using your time productively, you can subject yourself to mine too, I guess.

https://xwingontherocks.blogspot.com/

25 minutes ago, DoubleDown11 said:

Incidentally, I made a blog. The fluff pieces are/will be pretty generic and forgettable, but I think the match reviews might be worth a glossing over. They're somewhat similar in format to @GreenDragoon, although I waste a lot more virtual ink for probably very minimal additional value.

If you read just one blog this year... well, you should probably pick between something good like Space Owls, or @Biophysical, or @GreenDragoon. But if you really hate using your time productively, you can subject yourself to mine too, I guess.

Its like there is some kind of X-Wing Content Renaissance going on. 

29 minutes ago, DoubleDown11 said:

Bookmarked. :)

1 hour ago, DoubleDown11 said:

I love it! But then again I've already vastly increased the amount of text and images compared to the usual other battle reports, so I'm not sure how much worth that is :D

One thing that I want to and already do myself and that I can only recommend: collect your lessons and make a more distilled, concise version every now and then. We don't want to miss the forest for the trees afterall.

3 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

I love it! But then again I've already vastly increased the amount of text and images compared to the usual other battle reports, so I'm not sure how much worth that is :D

One thing that I want to and already do myself and that I can only recommend: collect your lessons and make a more distilled, concise version every now and then. We don't want to miss the forest for the trees afterall.

That's a terrific idea. Perhaps could even do something like a highlight reel of key moments from previous batreps to illustrate various lessons learned.

7 hours ago, Cuz05 said:

Turr Phennir + Crack Shot + Shield Upgrade 

I cannot see past this.

57 minutes ago, Brunas said:

I don't have meaningful data on it at the moment, but I suspect the average initiative is very low in hyperspace at the moment.

If Turr was ever going to be good, now's the time 😛

He was definitely a meta call in my case. Rolling up to range 1, attacking, than rolling and/or boosting out of arc makes people sad.

6 hours ago, Brunas said:

I don't have meaningful data on it at the moment, but I suspect the average initiative is very low in hyperspace at the moment.

If Turr was ever going to be good, now's the time 😛

Not to take away from Impspy's achievements which we stand amidst, and not ours, I feel Snapshot will help Turr even further than the current meta, as it offers him a way of dodging even I6 (but the attack being r2 makes it tricky). 

RE: Poe and R4.

I don't think it's all that great of a combo and it never really felt great.  I played the bageezus out of the combo, cuz internet said so, and wish I'd spent more time exploring other options.  On him and in general.  I've had more success with him as bait, with the rest of the list doing the actual work, than as a fighter.  Those 2-hard blues didn't really help keep him in the fight, just different avenues to escape the fight when it got to be too much for him.  I didn't bring my Trigger-Happy Flyboy to shoot twice and then run for days, but that's mostly what he did when facing good opponents with good lists.  Or died.

It made me sad.  

20 minutes ago, Ablazoned said:

Doctor: you've been in this coma since March 19.

Us: o boi I sure am excited to listen to five episodes of the best XWing podcast, especially now that the release of Clone Wars ships provides for immense fodder both for real content and memes!

Barons moved to a biweekly schedule.

3 hours ago, Ablazoned said:

Doctor: you've been in this coma since March 19.

Us: o boi I sure am excited to listen to five episodes of the best XWing podcast, especially now that the release of Clone Wars ships provides for immense fodder both for real content and memes!

Mynocks have indeed been great. Well worth listening to the latest episode about Han or the Turn 0 episode.